F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
One other thing is did not expect is how small Celebrini looked next to most of the other players. I would think that at 6’0” 197# his size wouldn’t stand out.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Well, we know he's 5'11.75", but the Sharks prospect pool has gotten a whole lot bigger, so he's 2" shorter than many/most. Plus he plays low and strong. I'm not worried, he outmuscled 6'3" Edstrom on the boards.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
One other thing is did not expect is how small Celebrini looked next to most of the other players. I would think that at 6’0” 197# his size wouldn’t stand out.
The Sharks’ prospect pool is pretty big, though. 6’2” Musty, 6’3” Halttunen, 6’3” Chernyshov, 6’3” Edstrom, 6’4” Bystedt, 6’3” Dickinson, among the various big depth guys like Roberts/Miskey/Wetsch/Svoboda/Lund all 6’2”+, it’s no surprise that 6’0” and barely 18-year-old Celebrini looks small.

Did not back down physically against any of those guys and won a bunch of boards battles. Absolutely no concern for me, this kid is strong and will only get stronger.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks’ prospect pool is pretty big, though. 6’2” Musty, 6’3” Halttunen, 6’3” Chernyshov, 6’3” Edstrom, 6’4” Bystedt, 6’3” Dickinson, among the various big depth guys like Roberts/Miskey/Wetsch/Svoboda/Lund all 6’2”+, it’s no surprise that 6’0” and barely 18-year-old Celebrini looks small.

Did not back down physically against any of those guys and won a bunch of boards battles. Absolutely no concern for me, this kid is strong and will only get stronger.
He definitely didn’t play small, but it does cause me some concern about how he would stand up to an 82 game season playing against men.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He definitely didn’t play small, but it does cause me some concern about how he would stand up to an 82 game season playing against men.
Like I said, I have zero concern about Celebrini’s ability to play against men. He was targeted physically every single game in the NCAA by guys who were older and bigger and stronger last year and he shrugged it all off.

If he needs a game off every once and a while, that’s totally reasonable.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I think he's NHL ready, but the comparison between him and Bedard (or between SJ and Chicago) is misleading: Celebrini would be playing in a much better league than Bedard would have. There are players in the NCAA who would make Celebrini's life difficult on the ice, while the same would not be true for Bedard in the WHL.
The NCAA level is horrific. A third tier Swedish team would destroy any NCAA team.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He's well built. Height has nothing to do with durability. He wasn't getting pushed around out there and shouldn't have any issues.
Almost every freshman in the NHL runs out of steam at some point in their first season given the rigors of the NHL schedule are much greater than any other league, and play-style can contribute.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Almost every freshman in the NHL runs out of steam at some point in their first season given the rigors of the NHL schedule are much greater than any other league, and play-style can contribute.
What's the point though? So he might only play 70 games or so in his first season. Who cares?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What's the point though? So he might only play 70 games or so in his first season. Who cares?
The Sharks will have a player they’ll likely need to load balance and, even with that, fatigue makes players more susceptible to injury. Time will tell if the Sharks try to monetize Celebrini year 1 and whether that impacts coaching decisions around his playing time/frequency.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
As advertised. Just so good at everything. Calm and collected, in the right spots. Shifty skating and hands, solid 200 ft game, great vision.

This shift was fantastic and if you've been mainlining MC71 highlights like I have, you'll notice every single one of these moves in his highlights. As I said in the sharks board thread, he literally plays like a highlight reel.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
This shift was fantastic and if you've been mainlining MC71 highlights like I have, you'll notice every single one of these moves in his highlights. As I said in the sharks board thread, he literally plays like a highlight reel.
Absolutely. He reminds me of Erik Karlsson in that regard. Every shift he just does ridiculous stuff that would be a highlight of the week if his teammate could finish. And on top of that, he plays a very complete 200 foot game.

Bedard will be Matthews-esque and light up the score sheet.

Celebrini will be MacKinnon esque where he also puts up crazy points, but can change the tide of the game even in the D zone.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Absolutely. He reminds me of Erik Karlsson in that regard. Every shift he just does ridiculous stuff that would be a highlight of the week if his teammate could finish. And on top of that, he plays a very complete 200 foot game.

Bedard will be Matthews-esque and light up the score sheet.

Celebrini will be MacKinnon esque where he also puts up crazy points, but can change the tide of the game even in the D zone.
Mackinnon has that speed and skating, though.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Incidentally, Macklin Celebrini and his brother are currently coaches for the selection which represents British Columbia at the North American atom tournament (Brick Invitational).

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Incidentally, Macklin Celebrini and his brother are currently coaches for the selection which represents British Columbia at the North American atom tournament (Brick Invitational).
Macklin and Aiden were at the draft, then at their respective dev camps, and are now coaching for the BC Jr Canucks at the Brick Invitational? Man these kids don't rest lol
IMO Bedard will never have Matthews’ defensive impact. I don’t even know if he sticks at center long term. Entirely possible he’s just a rich man’s DeBrincat.
I know you're just trolling, but calling a teenager who helped Philipp Kurashev and 36 year old Nick Foligno to 54 and 37 points respectively, while playing at a nearly PPG pace himself a "rich man's DeBrincat" is hilariously stupid

Reactions: WSS11 and Sandisfan

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
Macklin and Aiden were at the draft, then at their respective dev camps, and are now coaching for the BC Jr Canucks at the Brick Invitational? Man these kids don't rest lol

I know you're just trolling, but calling a teenager who helped Philipp Kurashev and 36 year old Nick Foligno to 54 and 37 points respectively, while playing at a nearly PPG pace himself a "rich man's DeBrincat" is hilariously stupid
He did get all the minutes and all the pp time tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad