Realistically, Which UFAs Do You Want?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
#1) Pesce (6'3" D-man, top 2/4 D, coming off injury)
#2 Brady Skjei (6'3" D-man, definitely a top 4 D after a great year 13g 34a 47 pts)
#3) Matt Roy (6'2" top 4 d-man)

I believe Treliving will be in on all 3 of these guys, in whatever order he has, and we will get at least 1 of these guys, if not 2. He wants big strong D, builds from net out every time, and at the sane time Tre will be looking to deal for a G, AND be in constant negotiations to deal Marner.

Will be a busy guy!!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Good UFAs on good contracts should look elsewhere.

Florida has space, I bet they snap up the best UFAs and repeat as Stanley Cup champs.
florida.panthers.cap.friendly.png

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $20,016,666​

why join the Leafs with no chance at a cup, bad weather, will have to endure Marner for a few weeks until he fakes an injury and stays out ?

Loser UFAs will sign here. Or they will be OVERpaid.

Marner NEEDS to be moved July 1.

Reactions: Racer88 and kevsh

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
DEFENCE (priority) -- At least two of Skjei, Montour, Gostisbehere, Tanev or Pesce signed. The first three to help offensively and provide a viable secondary option to Rielly, the latter two bigger bodies to stabilize things in their own zone and make things difficult in front of the net.

FORWARD -- If Marner is traded, use some of that money and swing for a Guentzel or Reinhart. As that is unlikely, signing a Duchene, Toffoli, Stephenson, Mantha, Tarasenko, Teravainen or Duclair would inject some better talent to the top six/nine of the forward group. Drouin or DeBrusk might be worthwhile fliers.

GOALIE -- Not the least bit convinced Brossoit, Stolarz or Nedeljkovic are what the team need. Maybe if Woll was a secured #1. Maybe he'll show it in due time. Hasn't yet with his injury history. Think a trade is the best route. Team can't afford shoddy goaltending yet again.

RETURNEES -- Domi on a reasonable deal; hope this gets done. Unsure Bertuzzi is worthy of the money and term he'll likely seek with the other options out there.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Brossoit/Stolarz.

Pesce/Roy.

Bertuzzi/Domi/Joshua.

Maybe Walker/Montour depending on if we get a puck moving D from a Marner deal.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs are not a preferred destination. They won't outbid 8 other teams. So, who are realistic? Pesche, top 2 on Tor. Zadorov, even if it's a maybe. Tanev. Injured a lot will scare some. Resign Edmondson.To think we can get more is fanciful.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Brodie was great for first 3.5 years which is what you just said you wanted.

Pesce will give you at least that.
I’ll be surprised if they sign Pesce without an overpay. I think he wants to go to a contender and he’s headed to Boston, maybe NYR or NJD.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Loser UFAs will sign here. Or they will be OVERpaid.

Sadly this.

Although (almost?) every coveted UFA will be overpaid by some GM. One lucky team may be able to justify it when the win the cup while the rest will be burdened with a cap hit that just gets worse every year.

horner

May 22, 2007
I'd love to have Pesce or Marchessault (or both). I wouldn't mind Guentzel, but I don't see TOR signing him.
Defence before offence
Montour 8 mil × 7 yrs
Tanev 5 mil × 3 yrs
or
Pesce
or
Roy

trade Jamcrock and kampf

sign
Domi 4 mil × 3 yrs
Dakota Joshua 3 mil × 4 yrs

Marchessault 7 mil no thanks
Guentzel 8 mil no thanks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Interesting that Ferris did not go to July 1 with Chatfield who could have gotten 1-2m more if he did. And look at those signing bonuses.

Only in Toronto do playoff failures get everything and more. So f***ing sad.

1718465844239.png

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs need to stop overpaying. I'd settle for Pesche and Zadorov. Too many will overpay Montour. Tanev is 35 and injury prone.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd take a swing at Desharnais to partner with Benoit on our 3rd pair.

I'd also try to pry Lomberg out of Florida. Mr. Energy bunny, hits everything that moves and takes on all comers. He instantly gives our 4th line an identity. Get this guy Tre.

Why don't we try going after good D? Is our goal to score no goals again?

Lomberg I don't mind as long as Reaves is sitting then (waste of a contract/cap though so I doubt it).

Go after players that will move the needle, Desharnais is just not good.

Montour and Demelo are ideal IMO.

Re-sign Domi.

1B goalie.

That's likely all the space we have if we signed those 3, plus some of the younger guys should be playing at this point.

Although this might be the year to go after some middle-of-the-pack players, Montour may be a huge overpay just based on the lack of top-end talent, I see a lot more of the middle 6/bottom 4 available, and they may be better value players — Joshua, Foegele, Noesen, Stephenson, Roslovic, those kinds of guys.

I want to avoid a few players who I think will end up being overpaid (Zadorov, Bertuzzi, Reinhart, Pesce, and more).

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why don't we try going after good D? Is our goal to score no goals again?

Lomberg I don't mind as long as Reaves is sitting then (waste of a contract/cap though so I doubt it).

Go after players that will move the needle, Desharnais is just not good.

Montour and Demelo are ideal IMO.

Re-sign Domi.

1B goalie.

That's likely all the space we have if we signed those 3, plus some of the younger guys should be playing at this point.

Although this might be the year to go after some middle-of-the-pack players, Montour may be a huge overpay just based on the lack of top-end talent, I see a lot more of the middle 6/bottom 4 available, and they may be better value players — Joshua, Foegele, Noesen, Stephenson, Roslovic, those kinds of guys.

I want to avoid a few players who I think will end up being overpaid (Zadorov, Bertuzzi, Reinhart, Pesce, and more).
Agree with your takes. I like Lomberg (over Gregor) and Desharnais (could be this year's Benoit) because they will be cheap and chances are they outperform their cap hits. The top UFAs will be overpriced and will go to the highest bidders. I can see Tre going after one bid UFA dman and one small one. No idea what Tre does after seeing what he did last July, signing Reaves, Klingberg, Bert, Domi and Benoit.

Also would rather target Debrusk over Bert if Debrusk is available.

Leafs need to stop overpaying. I'd settle for Pesche and Zadorov. Too many will overpay Montour. Tanev is 35 and injury prone.
I see those three are all being overpaid and not signing with the Leafs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agree with your takes. I like Lomberg (over Gregor) and Desharnais (could be this year's Benoit) because they will be cheap and chances are they outperform their cap hits. The top UFAs will be overpriced and will go to the highest bidders. I can see Tre going after one bid UFA dman and one small one. No idea what Tre does after seeing what he did last July, signing Reaves, Klingberg, Bert, Domi and Benoit.

Also would rather target Debrusk over Bert if Debrusk is available.

I think Debrusk is another prime overpay candidate due to his intangibles, and I also think he is a Leafs killer (like Anderson) so we see him at his best.

I think having a third pairing of Deshairnais and Benoit would be too limited, I'd like to see them go after Demelo and Montour if the price is right, it'd push down Liljegren to our #5/6 and hopefully, he can thrive in that position, I still have faith in him.

Last year it seemed like Tre just went after the biggest names, which I hope is not the case this year. I think there will be some value players or guys coming off of down years who might be able to bounce back.

I like Lomberg by the way, I also think he may end up getting a bigger deal than he is worth, but I think he is one of the better 4th line players. Having Kampf at 4C means that the 4th line should be able to play decent minutes, having a 4th line of something like Lomberg/Kampf/Reaves isn't ideal for that and I think signing Reaves last year removed the need for someone like Lomberg.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
id be happy with:

Lindholm-a solid 2c to replace tavares, great pier
Tanev- short term, low $$, to play with rielly, another important pk piece
Pesce/Roy-we need another rhd, but don’t want to overpay too much. Zadorov would be good but I’m sure teams will overpay.

I’m sure there are other lower value players that they will target, thinking of Benoit/lagesson types.

Not interested in any goalies in ufa, but I’m sure they will find someone for depth.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
A lot rides on if Marner is dealt. As for how to fill around the edges there is a lot of u certainty there too?

Can Cowan play a full season or does he need more seasoning. I think he needs to play in AHL but he has to head back to London. Such a waste.

Can Woll stay healthy and be a number one, underlying analytics suggest he is a number one but can’t stay healthy.

Does Minten need a year in the AHL? Suspect he does.

Is Liljegren done? Personally I think we need to say he is a third pairing PMD who can slide up in limited capacity on a SC contender. I like him with a player like Benoit. Benoit can do the dirty work and Liljegren can grab the puck and skate it out. Still needs to work on his one on one battles.

Kampf should be replaced at that price.

Personally I try to get a Scott Laughton type player for our 3C

Add a player like Dakota Joshua

On D you go gang busters Pesce, Zadarov, Roy etc.

As for Goalie Laurent Brassoit would be an amazing add.

Trade Robertson (like the player but not what we need).

Trade Timmins, Jarnkrok and Kampf and send Reeves to Robidas island!

If you could get McCurty out of Winnipeg for Roberts and our 2024 1st provided he is willing to sign I would go for it.

It all boils down to Marner. Personally I would rather take a step back and retool than sign players like Domi and Bertuzzi to dumb deals

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Lindholm
Pesce
Domi

Trade Tavares for Gibson
Trade Marner for Werenski

f*** the cap

Knies. Matthews. Domi
Roberston. Lindholm. Nylander
McCann. Cowan Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Gregor
Dewar. Reaves

Rielly. Pesce
McCabe. Werenski
Benoit. Lilly

Gibson
Woll

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Trade Marner for picks and prospects
Use picks and and prospects to trade for 50% retain Pavel Buchnevich
Trade Jarnkrok and Lily for Ross Colton
Trade Timmins for picks

Sign
Laurent Brossoit
Chandler Stephenson
Matt Roy
Dylan DeMelo
Christopher Tanev

Colton - Matthew - Buchnevich
Knies - Tavares - McMann
Domi - Stephenson - Nylander
Cowan - Kampf - Dewar
Holmberg, Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - DeMelo

Woll
Brossoit

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hi everyone. Islanders fan coming in peace. I predict that the Leafs will sign Sebastien Aho (The other one) this off season. I would assume to replace Sandin. Why? Because Lambert. Lambert trusts him and he's ok defensively with an offensive upside (I think even better than Reilly...he just never had the opportunity to show it as much. He also can be a PP QB is needed. His only problem is that he is a bit small...he's more of a creative player and gets plays going. He also has a pretty decent first pass...it's quick, hard and accurate. oh yeah..he has a decently accurate shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad