Realistically, Which UFAs Do You Want?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Q: What if I answered your question with the response: "I don't want any UFA's this season." What would you do?

I am not saying that to be negative or cynical.

They need to do the following:

Re-tool - We are nowhere close to being a team who can go deep. I don't care how many homeruns Tre hits this summer.

Let Tavares' contract run out if he doesn't waive for a trade.

Trade Marner for picks and prospects.

Use this year's cap space take on bad contracts for picks.

Fill the margins with prospects / rookies / AHL graduates.

25-26 season come back with a vengeance. Sign good defencemen with the cap space from Marner/Tavares.

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Q: What if I answered your question with the response: "I don't want any UFA's this season." What you do?

Re-tool - We are nowhere close to being a team who can go deep. I don't care how many homeruns Tre hits this summer.

25-26 season come back with a vengeance. Sign good defencemen with the cap space from Marner/Tavares.
Marner for sure needs to be traded and Tavares hope they don't resign him. Resign Domi+Liljegren+Robertson+Jones. Go with Woll/Jones/ and small contract goalie less than 3 million. Binnington be ideal but think he will stay in St. Louis. I hope they don't go after Pesce or Trouba.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Marner for sure needs to be traded and Tavares hope they don't resign him. Resign Domi+Liljegren+Robertson+Jones. Go with Woll/Jones/ and small contract goalie less than 3 million. Binnington be ideal but think he will stay in St. Louis. I hope they don't go after Pesce or Trouba.
Based on my comments why would you suggest the leafs sign those names? I said "sign no one".

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Based on my comments why would you suggest the leafs sign those names? I said "sign no one".
Domi at least would make sense if he signs for $4 million or less. Liljegren+ Robertson for picks/prospects is what you want? So can gain something in return because teams would be interested.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Main targets are:

Roy -6m

Stephenson ~5.5m

Stolarz/Brossoit ~3m

Best roster with Marner:

Domi - Matthews - Marner

Knies - Stephenson - Nylander

McMann - Tavares - Robertson

Dewar - Minten - Holmberg

Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin

McCabe - Roy

Benoit - Liljegren

Timmins/Other

Woll

Stolarz/Brossoit

~400k cap space

With Marner for Theodore+:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi

Knies - Stephenson - Nylander

McMann - Tavares - Robertson

Dewar - Holmberg - Trenin

Reaves

Rielly - Roy

McCabe - Theodore

Benoit - Myers/Other vet shutdown d

Timmins/Other

Woll

Stolarz/Brossoit

~200k cap space

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Domi at least would make sense if he signs for $4 million or less. Liljegren+ Robertson for picks/prospects is what you want? So can gain something in return because teams would be interested.
I disagree. They need to just burn a season and re-tool. What will signing Domi really accomplish? I don't care what Liljegren does. He's one of the most unimportant players in the National Hockey League. He is one of Treliving's last worries. Robertson is not important either.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Matt Roy
Laurent Brossoit
Chris Tanev

If the money works both Bertuzzi and Domi can come back too.
Laurent Brossoit(for sure be good option) and Matt Roy(maybe). I think Bertuzzi is going to get paid more going somewhere else. Domi I would bring back because need some feisty.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
For the backend I'd love for us to grab both Roy and Walker, it'll instantly create a strong top 4 with good mobility

I don't see us realistically grabbing a top forward in UFA, nor do I particularly want any of them outside of Guentzal. We'll probably focus on that more next summer when JT's contract is up

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Marner extended 12x8 to Utah for Crouse + 38+49+65
Jarnkrok to Nashville for a 2024 3rd
Kampf to the devils for a 2024 4th
29.34 million
Trade 1.
Vegas
Theodore
Toronto
2024 1st (23rd ovr)
Utah 2024 2nd (38th ovr)
Utah 2024 2nd via panthers (65th ovr)

24.14 mill in cap remaining.
Sign
Roy 5.75 x 6
Lindholm 7.75 x 7
Stolarz 3 x 3
Liljegren 1.5 x 1
Robertson 1.25 x 1
Domi 4x4
Dewar 850k

40k cap remaining

Knies. Matthews. Domi
Crouse. Lindholm. Nylander
Mcmann Tavares. Robertson
Dewar. Holmberg. Reeves

Reilly. Roy
Theodore McCabe
Benoit. Liljegren

Stolarz
Woll

Only a 20 man roster but a tough and well balanced roster.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think the leafs need to CHANGE THE RECIPE
IT DOES NOT WORK
Replace as many players
(Core)
Sign free agents I guess

We need a better blueline. Other changes are needed too, but in terms of changing the recipe, that's really the bottom line.

We've had a bargain bin blueline for 5+ years. If you don't have an elite #1 dman (which we don't), you better at least have a rock solid top 4 (+ depth) if you want to win the Cup.

Florida for example doesn't have a Makar, Hughes, Hedman, Fox, Heiskanen, etc calibre #1 guy, but their #3 guy is Ekblad, who is a similar calibre player to our #1D. Our #3 guy this year in the playoffs (going by time on ice per game) was Edmundson - bit of a gap there.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Always liked Travis Boyd, I thought his offensive game was a little underrated and he’s solid in his own end. Got solid wheels as well. Wouldn’t mind him on a cheap contract given he’s coming off an injury that sidelined him for a majority of the season. Right hand shooter as well which the forward group could use. I like him as a 4th line right wing.

Dakota Joshua would be interesting, could be a great addition on the third line with JT. Depending on the cost he’d be a great addition.

Matt Roy and Jalen Chatfield. Roy would go well with McCabe forming a good physical shutdown pair. Chatfield basically replaces Liljegren, I’ll take the guy who if needed will drop the gloves especially since they’ll probably cost around the same.

Bottom six forwards (I’d make a deal around Liljegren for McBain):
Joshua - Tavares - McMann
Holmberg - McBain - Boyd

Bottom four defenceman:
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - Chatfield

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Last year I was hoping they would sign Bertuzzi and they actually did.

Boy was Treliving ever wrong on that one. Watching Bertuzzi play you'd think he had two broken hands. Like he was wearing casts instead of mitts.

This year I'd like to see them sign Guentzel and Montour.

They should be thinking about throwing bags of money their way. Too bad they'll probably wanna go play for a real contender. The Leafs can't afford both those guys anyway.

I'm sick of seeing mediocre offseason signings that don't move the needle.

Maybe if fans demanded more they'd actually get more. Treliving needs to restore confidence in the fan base. Making a big splash in free agency would be a good way to go about doing that.

Re-signing Tyler Bertuzzi with his two hands of stone isn't the right answer.

Reactions: leafs in five

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Q: What if I answered your question with the response: "I don't want any UFA's this season." What would you do?

if the Leafs sigh no UFA then they will battle to make the playoffs, and likely still will because of the 'core 4'
but the defense would be rubbish

Rielly - Lily
Benoit - McCabe
Webber - Timmins

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Marner extended 12x8 to Utah for Crouse + 38+49+65
this is an insanely BAD return for Marner if dealt at the deadline, forget, an extended Marner.
that wouldn't get the Leafs even listening Crouse and #6 would likely only get them to listen if one of the top d men were still on the board

Reactions: Smif

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Last year I was hoping they would sign Bertuzzi and they actually did.

Boy was Treliving ever wrong on that one. Watching Bertuzzi play you'd think he had two broken hands. Like he was wearing casts instead of mitts.
This board was weird about Bertuzzi. It's like nobody ever watched the Red Wings. Guy has stone hands. Makes Hyman look like he has gifted hands. He had 1 fluky 30 goal season. He does cause a lot of chaos, and take dumb penalties.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Depends on what management has planned. If they're sticking with the golden girls then I guess we try and grab the best goaltending we can find. If they're serious about trying to assemble a quality playoff team then we should spread the cap space out over the next two years and just fill in whichever holes have the best options available.
Either way the ridiculous overspending has to end with the ugly Matthews and Nylander contracts.
The Golden Girls were infinitely more hardcore than our foursome tbh. Estelle Getty would've beaten the crap out of Marner in a fight, change my mind.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The Golden Girls were infinitely more hardcore than our foursome tbh. Estelle Getty would've beaten the crap out of Marner in a fight, change ny mind.
1718214711225.jpeg

Bea Arthur could have taken the 4 of them by herself.

All she would need to do is stand in front of the bench and glare at them. None of them would have ever left the bench.

She would have paddled Marner for his glove-throwing hissy fit.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Top pair d and a 1B goalie.
Shouldn't be difficult, lots of cap space to get it done.
They want two good dmen

I haven't seen a lot of people talking about Tanev but feels obvious. Linked to the Leafs for a long time, Treliving wanted him at the TDL, fits a mold we can use. Yes he is older, but if he did like 2 years 4.5 AAV and could give us 1 year of being top pair with Rielly and 1 year as a 2nd pairing guy at that price, it's a good stop gap solution at an affordable price.

Assuming Marner is dealt, I expect the deal to either include a goalie or a Dman. Assuming it is a goalie, the Leafs likely take a large run at Montour and are near the top bidder. Him with McCabe on the left would be an ideal 2nd pairing, especially if Rielly - Tanev was the top pair.

If the return is a dman, then the need for a goalie is bigger and I expect a trade for Binnington or Gibson as obvious bigger names that could be moved.

I also would be ok with signing Bertuzzi and Domi back if they would take something reasonable.
Bert is 30 and in decline. We can't afford him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I haven't seen a lot of people talking about Tanev but feels obvious. Linked to the Leafs for a long time, Treliving wanted him at the TDL, fits a mold we can use. Yes he is older, but if he did like 2 years 4.5 AAV and could give us 1 year of being top pair with Rielly and 1 year as a 2nd pairing guy at that price, it's a good stop gap solution at an affordable price.

Assuming Marner is dealt, I expect the deal to either include a goalie or a Dman. Assuming it is a goalie, the Leafs likely take a large run at Montour and are near the top bidder. Him with McCabe on the left would be an ideal 2nd pairing, especially if Rielly - Tanev was the top pair.

If the return is a dman, then the need for a goalie is bigger and I expect a trade for Binnington or Gibson as obvious bigger names that could be moved.

I also would be ok with signing Bertuzzi and Domi back if they would take something reasonable.

That's the issue with trading Mitch, if you do That and then Bertuzzi and Domi walk you very very thin up front very VERY quickly.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Regardless of what happens with Marner I'd pushing HARD for Pesce and Arvidson

I this Pesce would do A LOT for this defense, I think Rielly, Pesce and McCabe would be a hell of a top 3 with Benoit anchoring the 3rd pair.

I think Rielly, Pesce, McCabe and Benoit would be a great start to your defense.

Then If you can add Arvidson then depending on what they do with Marner you could have a RW of Marner, Nylander and Arvidson and that's pretty good.

If Bertuzzi leaves I'd go after Jake Debrusk, he's 2 years younger and It's possible he comes in a little cheaper, although that's not a sure thing.

I'd try to move Kampf and see what Monahan wants.

my list is
Pesce
Arvidson
Debrusk
Monahan

Would also be happy with
Roy,
Tanev
Myers

Although Myers depends on the price.

You obviously won't get everybody but you need to call on everybody

Ad