RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024, 9th, CGY)

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don't agree. I think his floor is lower. 2nd pairing Dmen usually have decent defense, good size, physicality, in some measure. He does not have any of those three traits. There are also mixed reviews on his skating.
There shouldn’t be mixed reviews on his skating. He’s not exactly Quinn Hughes, but he’s very mobile and smooth in every direction. Not the fastest but nowhere near slow.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There shouldn’t be mixed reviews on his skating. He’s not exactly Quinn Hughes, but he’s very mobile and smooth in every direction. Not the fastest but nowhere near slow.
Yet there are. Even his skating teacher talked about how ugly his skating was when he first came to her, and admits that he still has work to do.

I think it's ok, as he is an excellent athlete, and seems to be driven to succeed. His skating will get"fixed". As you pointed out, he already has good edges and mobility... with some work he will be an above average skater.

I also think his physicality will be good enough, even though it looks unimpressive even in junior. I do wonder whether he will ever have much of a defensive game, but if he realizes his offensive game in the NHL then you live with it... most offensively gifted dmen don't have great defensive games. Most of their energy is poured into offense.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
His edge work is strong, his top end speed is nothing special and he's not known for his transitional play. I agree at worst he's a PP QB but how he refines the other areas of his game will determine a lot. There is a level of genuine excitement Flames fans should have with him but I've seen people trying to pencil him into the lineup for opening day this season and it's delusional.

Edgework is exceedingly more valuable than top end speed, especially for defensemen.

of the many Bob Hartley quotes that stick in my brain, one of them is about hockey being a game of 15 foot races - Parekh wins those 15 foot races a lot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Edgework is exceedingly more valuable than top end speed, especially for defensemen.

of the many Bob Hartley quotes that stick in my brain, one of them is about hockey being a game of 15 foot races - Parekh wins those 15 foot races a lot.
Everything is important, when it comes to skating. If your skating is fast you can get back to pucks quicker on D zone retrievals, giving you extra time to make a first move or pass, and avoid forechecks. Being faster allows you to skate away from opponents when you have the puck, or evade them when jumping up into the play. Skating fast is also invaluable when getting back into a play if you are caught out of position(which will happen a lot to Parekh unless he changes his game), or covering for a D partner who is beaten.

15' bursts are important, edges and pivots are important, and speed over longer distances are important. While you don't need the long stretches of speed often, those are the ones that are often critical in either getting back on a breakaway against, or creating one. I would argue that offensive Dmen have more opportunity to use longer runs of speed, because they are often starting from deep in their own end, and ending in the O zone. That can be up to 200', maybe more with some changes in direction.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yet there are. Even his skating teacher talked about how ugly his skating was when he first came to her, and admits that he still has work to do.

I think it's ok, as he is an excellent athlete, and seems to be driven to succeed. His skating will get"fixed". As you pointed out, he already has good edges and mobility... with some work he will be an above average skater.

I also think his physicality will be good enough, even though it looks unimpressive even in junior. I do wonder whether he will ever have much of a defensive game, but if he realizes his offensive game in the NHL then you live with it... most offensively gifted dmen don't have great defensive games. Most of their energy is poured into offense.
Show me the mixed reviews. All I have seen is his skating being described as "incredible" and "fantastic."

I have also seen him live and was head and shoulders better than everyone on the ice in a game between Saginaw and Owen Sound.

I will get to see him a couple of more times this year as well. Have you seen him live?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya I don't see how someone can watch him skate and be doubtful of anything.

If he's getting mixed reviews there's like ten guys in the NHL with good skating haha

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

I think you’re just kinda wrong to be honest. He’s pretty clearly already an above average skater. I’m sure he could improve on his leg strength and burst, but he’s smooth as butter on his edges. Elite prospects in their draft guide called him #1 in the entire draft in terms of 4-way mobility.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I can’t fathom how anyone who has watched Zayne Parekh would question his skating ability. He is an outstanding skater and can change games with that attribute alone.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is going to finish 13th overall in NHL scoring this season if you go by the main boards thread.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary

I was praying Ottawa passed on this guy, he has bust written all over him. The game won’t translate.
Context in which this takes place is important. In Zayne's own words regarding a spinorama pass on his first shift. "No I was just trying to have fun show my skill, you know I was trying to make plays, I'm not playing the game properly out there I'm trying to show my skill and have some fun." So read into it what you will, but understand this wasn't Zayne showcasing how he plays the game. He has flaws and is well aware of them if you watch a sample size of interviews you will see him indicate this.

Full question and answer at 1:07

Ad

Ad

Ad