Which goalies in the league currently have the best fundamentals and puck handling skills?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Because their area of the ice is much smaller and they can turn a 5v5 into a 6v5. A defenseman has to track a forward until the puck is dumped and then beat that forward in a race to retrieve it. A goalie is always near the target area and can kill a forecheck before any danger begins. This is the whole reason why the trapezoid was added, because the defensive benefits of guys like Brodeur and Turco playing the puck in the corners greatly outweighed the risks.
But the trapezoid does exist. And again, how many goaltenders were really making that much of a positive impact handling the puck? Where it should be part of the gameplan? As opposed to taking a much more safety first approach? There's a flow to a game with a team when they have good structure, that a goaltender coming out to play the puck is not a part of.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Growing up, there was always certain guys that were clearly in a league of their own with puck handling.

Hextall, Brodeur, and turco come to mind. Price was a bit more low key but very good at it too.

I don't know if I can name a guy that clearly distinguishes themselves from the pack today.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Since he's still technically under Contract, it's Carey Price, hands down
Price is collecting dust (and fat checks). His puck handling skills were overrated. He enjoyed handling the puck more than he excelled at it.

Shesterkin is already much better at it than Price used to be and, is if he keeps improving, will become one of the best of all times.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price is collecting dust (and fat checks). His puck handling skills were overrated. He enjoyed handling the puck more than he excelled at it.

Shesterkin is already much better at it than Price used to be and, is if he keeps improving, will become one of the best of all times.

Shesty is good, Price was litteraly a 6th defenseman

Shesty Will be lucky if His skills come close to Price's

I think that Shesty is one of the best right bien, but I'm not even sure I would put him at Mike Smith's Lebel, let alone Price's

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
People who yell at goalies to stay in the net or say they shouldn’t play the puck have a very poor understanding of the strategic side of hockey.
No, I think they have PTSD from watching their teams' goaltenders mishandle the puck.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I believe goalies should not leave the goal to handle the puck whenever possible. So for me the best goalies at handling the puck are the ones who handle it the least. And when they do handle the puck, they keep things as simple as possible.
Bobrovsky can be pretty efficient at handling the puck, for the things I just mentioned.

Not sure I'd say Bob is an example of a great puckhandler. I think it's one of his deficiencies, personally. He makes questionable decisions and sometimes plays pucks he really, really should not play. Anthony Stolarz was much better at it this season on the same team.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Not sure I'd say Bob is an example of a great puckhandler. I think it's one of his deficiencies, personally. He makes questionable decisions and sometimes plays pucks he really, really should not play. Anthony Stolarz was much better at it this season on the same team.
I didn't say he was great. But he keeps it simple. Which is exactly the right way to handle that situation if you are Babrovsky, and handling the puck is not a strength. Some goalies don't know when to not try to do too much.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Shesty is good, Price was litteraly a 6th defenseman

Shesty Will be lucky if His skills come close to Price's

I think that Shesty is one of the best right bien, but I'm not even sure I would put him at Mike Smith's Lebel, let alone Price's
Price was literally a goalie

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Now that Mike Smith is gone, Campbell is probably the best puck handling goalie if you cou t him as an NHLer. Binnington is also up there

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nah reading through this thread. IMO Turco was better at handling the puck than brodeur

Most goaltenders use the “turco grip” today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad