Which goalies in the league currently have the best fundamentals and puck handling skills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Gotta be Bob, look at the fundies on this dude

GL59iLyW4AApgCf

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Read again than, because you seemed to have miss the second phrase

If you don't agree with first answer, you van refer to second phrase
Carey Price didn't even have the best fundamentals and puck handling in 2021 lol

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Carey Price didn't even have the best fundamentals and puck handling in 2021 lol

I'd argue he had

I'd argue that he's a top 5 talent ever (He's obviously not a top 10 or even top 20 goalie ever, but in terms of fundamentals, he is absolutly. He had the best fundamentals since Brodeur IMO, and he's one of the best puck handler since Brodeur too)

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I didn't say refuse to play the puck. But do it as little as possible, Because I've witnessed many times them coming out of the net just out of habit, and getting themselves in trouble. And many times it ends up getting flung around the boards, back on the stick of the opponent.
If a goalie is good at playing the puck why restrict him because of a possible gaffe? The good ones are a net positive overall. Price and Bishop for ex. Different styles but both effective. You want those guys playing the puck in their own way as much as they can.

Your idea is smart for the crappy puck handlers tho I agree there

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I believe goalies should not leave the goal to handle the puck whenever possible. So for me the best goalies at handling the puck are the ones who handle it the least. And when they do handle the puck, they keep things as simple as possible.
Bobrovsky can be pretty efficient at handling the puck, for the things I just mentioned.

Give me more of this!

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If a goalie is good at playing the puck why restrict him because of a possible gaffe? The good ones are a net positive overall. Price and Bishop for ex. Different styles but both effective. You want those guys playing the puck in their own way as much as they can.

Your idea is smart for the crappy puck handlers tho I agree there
Eh. Even the best goalies are no better than a low end defensemen. And again, they are ok to handle the puck. But they shouldn't do it unless it's really safe to do so. Otherwise it's just a lot risk when they could have had the defenseman make the play with less risk. Because even if the defenseman messes up, there's at least a goaltender there that might be able to prevent a goal, If a goalie messes up, the net is empty.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
People who yell at goalies to stay in the net or say they shouldn’t play the puck have a very poor understanding of the strategic side of hockey. It’s as simple as that. For every ‘obvious’ mistake, there are 20+ subtle plays with pucks going the other way. It’s an absolutely crucial part of keeping the puck out of your net.

If you want a chance of winning a hockey game, you better have a goalie that can do the bare minimum to keep your defenceman alive and prevent the other team from spending 80% of the game in your zone.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Mike Smith who is well regarded as a great puckhandler actually had one of the worst giveaway stats and made a ton of egregiously bad giveaways often.
I miss having Smitty back there. Obviously the gaffes were always what stuck out, or were pointed to.

But I got so accustomed to seeing him slap a puck back into the opposing zone with like 3 seconds left on a PP, that now I just expect most goalies I'm watching to do the same. It really was like having a 3rd defenseman on the ice and I was a big fan. Warts and all.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
People who yell at goalies to stay in the net or say they shouldn’t play the puck have a very poor understanding of the strategic side of hockey. It’s as simple as that. For every ‘obvious’ mistake, there are 20+ subtle plays with pucks going the other way. It’s an absolutely crucial part of keeping the puck out of your net.

If you want a chance of winning a hockey game, you better have a goalie that can do the bare minimum to keep your defenceman alive and prevent the other team from spending 80% of the game in your zone.
Exactly this. We don't make highlights of that though, of when a G should've came out and just stopped the puck behind for easy transition. There's way more goals because a team wasn't able to beat the opponents forecheck than because of G's gaffes.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

The 2017 Preds-Hawks series was so reminiscent of this. Hawks literally could not forecheck properly since Rinne was going above and beyond what a normal goalie would do and making fantastic plays with the puck, while Crawford's puckhandling struggles allowed the Preds to completely expose their Dman whenever Keith-Hjalmarsson wasn't on ice.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Eh. Even the best goalies are no better than a low end defensemen. And again, they are ok to handle the puck. But they shouldn't do it unless it's really safe to do so. Otherwise it's just a lot risk when they could have had the defenseman make the play with less risk. Because even if the defenseman messes up, there's at least a goaltender there that might be able to prevent a goal, If a goalie messes up, the net is empty.
You need to expand your perspective here. Again, why restrict good puck handling goalies from playing the puck if they are a net positive? That makes absolutely no sense. It's a strength for those goalies.
By having them utilize this and play the puck more frequently, they are helping the team more than they would by "playing it safe". Who cares about the one gaffe they may have when the previous 10 times before that actually helped prevent a goal.

Also It's not like these goalies are skating up to center ice to make a play. Most of their puck handling involves stopping the puck behind the net, making quick outlet passes to the open man in their zone, or sometimes make a nice stretch pass when the opposing team is making a line change. That's not very "high risk" if you ask me assuming they are good puck handlers. And by doing so, they can effectively restrict the opponent from gaining possession, while allowing the D partners to not have to rush into the corner chasing after the puck (which could result in a brutal turnover and a gaffe from the defenseman).

Look at Price for ex. The entire system in MTL for years was built around Price being able to suffocate any dump in attempt, gain possession and make a smart pass to one of his D partners and then breakout up the ice. He was like a 3rd defenceman. It was very effective for his entire career. It was an art. He was so good at it.

If you have a goalie that is very good at handling the puck, that is a massive advantage for any team. It's no coincidence goalie schools have been placing so much importance on it over the past decade. It's a much needed skill as a goalie in today's game and for good reason

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Anyone else recall one of the primary reasons for Rick DiPietro going 1st OA in 2000 was due to his supposed puckhandling abilities?

He was extremely active in college, having to touch pretty much every puck that went behind his net. But I think his abilities were overstated, and it's ultimately a pretty dumb reason to draft a goaltender.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Good "fundamentals" and "puck control" generally don't go together. Goalies with the best puck control usually have an unconventional or "wild" style with high risk, high reward, and highlight reel saves because they are often out of position. Binnington is this style.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You need to expand your perspective here. Again, why restrict good puck handling goalies from playing the puck if they are a net positive? That makes absolutely no sense. It's a strength for those goalies.
By having them utilize this and play the puck more frequently, they are helping the team more than they would by "playing it safe". Who cares about the one gaffe they may have when the previous 10 times before that actually helped prevent a goal.

Also It's not like these goalies are skating up to center ice to make a play. Most of their puck handling involves stopping the puck behind the net, making quick outlet passes to the open man in their zone, or sometimes make a nice stretch pass when the opposing team is making a line change. That's not very "high risk" if you ask me assuming they are good puck handlers. And by doing so, they can effectively restrict the opponent from gaining possession, while allowing the D partners to not have to rush into the corner chasing after the puck (which could result in a brutal turnover and a gaffe from the defenseman).

Look at Price for ex. The entire system in MTL for years was built around Price being able to suffocate any dump in attempt, gain possession and make a smart pass to one of his D partners and then breakout up the ice. He was like a 3rd defenceman. It was very effective for his entire career. It was an art. He was so good at it.

If you have a goalie that is very good at handling the puck, that is a massive advantage for any team. It's no coincidence goalie schools have been placing so much importance on it over the past decade. It's a much needed skill as a goalie in today's game and for good reason
But how are they a net positive if they are no better than a defenseman handling the puck? Like I said, a lot of the time them handling the puck is unnecessary. And, them handling the puck is adding an big risk by them leaving the net empty.
And instead of a turnover danger because of defensemen rushing into corner. Now we have them waiting on the goalie to hit them with a pass with the opponent close by, much more likely turnover situation if you ask me. With the net empty. Which is why, like I said, most of the time the goalie just rings it around the boards to try to just get it past danger. And it's a total 50/50 puck at that point, or sometimes an icing, or just a straight turnover. These goalies who consistently avoid all of that with their puck handling skills, are very few and far in between.
A lot of the time, the goalies coming out to stop the puck behind the net, and him and the defenseman are almost bumping into each other. And a lot of the time that's with the opponent close by the defenseman. Which is why we get the goalie flinging it around the boards scenario.
The good stretch passes are not that frequent. But that's not what I'm saying they have to stop. That's a good scenario of them handling the puck. Again, I didn't say completely stop handling the puck, And the good quick passes that actually get the team moving up the ice with speed are not that frequent.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Generally speaking, Jarry is a decent puck handler but that comes with a couple gaffs too.

He usually has a couple of assists each season and last year, he scored a goal so...decent puck handler I guess you could say.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
But how are they a net positive if they are no better than a defenseman handling the puck? Like I said, a lot of the time them handling the puck is unnecessary. And, them handling the puck is adding an big risk by them leaving the net empty.
And instead of a turnover danger because of defensemen rushing into corner. Now we have them waiting on the goalie to hit them with a pass with the opponent close by, much more likely turnover situation if you ask me. With the net empty. Which is why, like I said, most of the time the goalie just rings it around the boards to try to just get it past danger. And it's a total 50/50 puck at that point, or sometimes an icing, or just a straight turnover. These goalies who consistently avoid all of that with their puck handling skills, are very few and far in between.
A lot of the time, the goalies coming out to stop the puck behind the net, and him and the defenseman are almost bumping into each other. And a lot of the time that's with the opponent close by the defenseman. Which is why we get the goalie flinging it around the boards scenario.
The good stretch passes are not that frequent. But that's not what I'm saying they have to stop. That's a good scenario of them handling the puck. Again, I didn't say completely stop handling the puck, And the good quick passes that actually get the team moving up the ice with speed are not that frequent.

Because their area of the ice is much smaller and they can turn a 5v5 into a 6v5. A defenseman has to track a forward until the puck is dumped and then beat that forward in a race to retrieve it. A goalie is always near the target area and can kill a forecheck before any danger begins. This is the whole reason why the trapezoid was added, because the defensive benefits of guys like Brodeur and Turco playing the puck in the corners greatly outweighed the risks.

Reactions: HabzSauce

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Well ok

I'll play the dumbass too:

There's no proof whatsoever that he still can't play the puck better than Everyone else even tho he's this close to have robot legs
His aim, dexterity and hockey IQ is well above anyone else in this era not named Bobvroski or Vasilevsky
You speculate that he's not as good. Now prove it.
To assume that NHL players can take 3 years off with no practice and come back with the same skills they had when they left is incredibly disrespectful to the work that NHL players put in year in, year out to keep their skills sharp.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
To assume that NHL players can take 3 years off with no practice and come back with the same skills they had when they left is incredibly disrespectful to the work that NHL players put in year in, year out to keep their skills sharp.

So, no proof then?

Just your feelings?

I guess Carey Price is still the best than, since you can't prove otherwise

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So, no proof then?

Just your feelings?

I guess Carey Price is still the best than, since you can't prove otherwise
Cool logical fallacy.

I provided a valid argument:

Skills diminish if you do not practice/work to retain them. Especially when every other goalie IS still working day in, day out.

Reactions: Fenris

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'd argue he had

I'd argue that he's a top 5 talent ever (He's obviously not a top 10 or even top 20 goalie ever, but in terms of fundamentals, he is absolutly. He had the best fundamentals since Brodeur IMO, and he's one of the best puck handler since Brodeur too)
Turco was also better than Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad