Prospect Info: Basile Sansonnens (LD - Swiss-A) | 221st Overall 2024 Draft

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Another surprising turn of events. Makes sense why the Canucks selected him.
Can't say I'm surprised. As explained above...when Sansonnens refused to stay in Fribourg (despite being offered a clear path to the NL) and signed in Lausanne instead...it was pretty clear that he's on the move to NA. As a kid who just got drafted into the NHL you don't throw away your career for a few bucks.

Reactions: Vector

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The one bad thing… I feel the Q in its current state is a clear QOC tier lower than the OHL/WHL.

Hopefully he runs with it & the extra ice time and dominates.
I agree. But Rimouski, as the host of the Memorial Cup, is gonna load up anyway. Other teams are gonna load up as well...it's more of a depth problem the QMJHL has.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Intriguing. Captain of the Swiss U18 team and played in the WJC18. I'm guessing he's been on the scouting staff's radar here for a while. Only 17 and 6'4", lots of room to bloom.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I find that pretty interesting.

I often read posts expressing optimism about prospects improving their skating. (It used to be that these posts would routinely cite Horvat.) I think that the kinds of skills talked about here are actually easier to develop than is skating. No guarantee, of course.

The gapping up business is another skill that's tough to make progress on.

Reactions: tradervik

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
"Nothing clip worthy. " sounds like a nickname.
Speaking of 'nicknames, 'Basile' just doesn't sound like an NHL first name for me. Is there an English version of 'Basile'.

Sort of reminds me of another Canuck draft pick 'Rodrigo Abols'. Surely if he'd ever made the NHL, he's have shortened his name to 'Rod'.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Speaking of 'nicknames, 'Basile' just doesn't sound like an NHL first name for me. Is there an English version of 'Basile'.

Sort of reminds me of another Canuck draft pick 'Rodrigo Abols'. Surely if he'd ever made the NHL, he's have shortened his name to 'Rod'.

Two things:

1) Basil would be the English equivalent.

2) Roddy Abols just signed a contract with the Flyers after having a great SHL playoffs. So there’s still a chance he makes it.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sansonnens is seeing some action in a junior tournament now going on in Finland, with the Finns icing two teams, and one each from Czechia and Switzerland.

Sansonenens was pointless and +1 in a 4-2 win vs Czechia, and he didn't play in a loss, also against Czechia. The Swiss are underway again at the moment , leading 1-0 vs one of the Finnish squads.

Here's a link:
Leijonat Tulospalvelu

The summer excitement just doesn't stop!

(Update: The Swiss beat the Finnish "Challenger" team 1-0. No points, shots, or PMs for Basile, and even +/-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The fact that we’ve gone this far into the thread without calling him the Great Mouse Detective is a disappointment.

• Haha
Reactions: Kickassguy

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

I think it is a version of Vasily more than any English equivalent as a name

Here it is:

Vasily:
royal
With the masculine name Vasily, baby will bring a touch of majesty to the playground. This Slavic name derives from Vasilis and, in turn, Greek Basil, meaning "royal" or "kingly." Notable bearers include several Russian tsars and a member of the Denali coven in the Twilight series.

Basile:
Meaning "royal," "kingly," and "regal," Basile has roots in the Greek and French. It's also the perfect choice if you find the names Basil and Basileios a little too herby.

(not mentioned in the Basile description I pulled but was in others was that the roots for each name are the same)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Here it is:

Vasily:
royal
With the masculine name Vasily, baby will bring a touch of majesty to the playground. This Slavic name derives from Vasilis and, in turn, Greek Basil, meaning "royal" or "kingly." Notable bearers include several Russian tsars and a member of the Denali coven in the Twilight series.

Basile:
Meaning "royal," "kingly," and "regal," Basile has roots in the Greek and French. It's also the perfect choice if you find the names Basil and Basileios a little too herby.

(not mentioned in the Basile description I pulled but was in others was that the roots for each name are the same)
Vasily Samsonov has a nice ring to it

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Here it is:

Vasily:
royal

Basile:

Basil in English is the same thing it appears with the same greek root name.

The name Basil (royal, kingly) comes from the male Greek name Vassilios (Greek: Βασίλειος, female version Bασιλεία), which first appeared during the Hellenistic period. It is derived from "basileus" (Greek: βασιλεύς), a Greek word of pre-Hellenic origin, meaning "king", from which words such as basilica and basilisk (via Latin) as well as the eponymous herb basil (via Old French) derive, and the name of the Italian region Basilicata, which had been long under the rule of the Byzantine Emperor (also called basileus).

It was brought to England by the Crusaders, having been common in the eastern Mediterranean. It is more often used in Britain and Europe than in the United States. It is also the name of a common herb.

In Arabic, Bas(s)el (باسل, bāsil) is a name for boys and girls that means "brave, fearless, intrepid".[1]

Different derived names in different languages include Barsegh in Armenian; Basile in French; Basilius in German; Basilio in Italian and Spanish; Basílio in Portuguese; Basileo in Galician; Vasyl in Ukraine; Vasile in Romanian; Vasil in Bulgarian; Vasilije in Serbian; Vasily in Russian; Bazil, Bazsó, Vászoly and Vazul in Hungarian.

Stuff like this is neat. I wouldn't have guessed Basil Fawlty and Vasily Podkolzin had essentially the same name.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Basil in English is the same thing it appears with the same greek root name.

Stuff like this is neat. I wouldn't have guessed Basil Fawlty and Vasily Podkolzin had essentially the same name.

Two things:

1) Basil would be the English equivalent.

2) Roddy Abols just signed a contract with the Flyers after having a great SHL playoffs. So there’s still a chance he makes it.

When I made this post I was trying to find a way to say "I hope he doesn't earn a nickname like "The Fawlty Tower".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad