Prospect Info: Basile Sansonnens (LD - Swiss-A) | 221st Overall 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
I know nothing about the player, but I'd like to think Alvin knows something no one else does, and I am sure it has to do with the super late birthday. Maybe they're seeing a huge uptick in skill/size right before the draft and expect it to continue?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So he projects to be a defensive D. Decent skater for a 6'4" guy. Captain? of his U18 WJ team? Hard to complain at this point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Interesting - would certainly make following his development easier if he came over. But the contract he has in Switzerland would likely preclude that.
I could be wrong but I think he's gonna play for Rimouski and he likely has a clause in his contract.

Fribourg refused to match Lausanne's offer financially but they did show him a clear path to the NL, likely including guaranteed NL minutes. In Lausanne he's highly unlikely to get that. Which is why I think he only signed there knowing he's gonna head to NA anyway. The contract is a nice fallback option to have if, at any point, he has to or wants to go back to Switzerland. He'd be pretty dumb to sign in Lausanne and be stuck in their U20 team just for a few extra bucks. At this point of his career that would be a horrible decision.

I also think that him being willing to come over to NA might also be what got him drafted over other (Swiss or other) kids. NHL teams don't really like to draft Swiss kids because they're traditionally tough to convince to play in NA unless it's for a guaranteed NHL spot. So if Sansonnens was willing to play CHL I think that's certainly something that could have gotten the Canucks to draft him over somebody else.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
...or in other words...because he'd have been in a much better spot where he was (Fribourg) Sansonnens signing in Lausanne only makes sense if he doesn't play there next season. Unless the plan is to loan him to an SL team (which is the only other possible explanation for the contract he signed) he'd be playing another year of Swiss U20 elite league which isn't what you want in your D+1 year. Would be pretty much a lost season.

Since I kinda called it in the NHL Draft thread I'm also pretty sure he's gonna play for Rimouski.

...but we'll see how it shakes out.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
1720036403699.png

Y'all jes SHADDUP.....

dude look like Bobby Orr ....!!

Put a #4 on the dude ...!!!

Now

• Love
Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This ain’t like when Alriksson got picked by Walker and we were able to draw a straight line. No idea what’s going on here but we do know he just signed a new contract with his Swiss team.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Basically says he saw the player play, really liked him, exactly the style of player the team needs. Was nervous he'd be gone before pick 31 where they selected him.

Nothing 100% confirming he's coming, though.
Fine translation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad