RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lol wat. You cant be serious.

Mintyukov
Zellweger
Luneau
Lacombe
Hinds
Warren
Moore

Vs

Hutson
Barron
Mailloux
Norlinder

Did I miss anyone?

I take NJ over MTL and it's not even close.

Hutson
Engstrom
Mailloux
Barron
Norlinder

I would take NJ over the Habs as well but I think it's closer then some would admit.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Scored a nice goal yesterday

Nice move by Luneau, but that is some of the worst 1-1 defense I've seen in a while lol.

It's like he followed a step by step instruction for defending in beer league:

Step 1: Stand still on the blueline
Step 2: Put your stick down as a perfect target for simple deke
Step 3: Slowly back up 1/10th the speed of the oncoming puck carrier
Step 4: Waive at the puck as the puck carrier puts it through the triangle
Step 5: Watch helplessly as they glide past you and score

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Nice move by Luneau, but that is some of the worst 1-1 defense I've seen in a while lol.

It's like he followed a step by step instruction for defending in beer league:

Step 1: Stand still on the blueline
Step 2: Put your stick down as a perfect target for simple deke
Step 3: Slowly back up 1/10th the speed of the oncoming puck carrier
Step 4: Waive at the puck as the puck carrier puts it through the triangle
Step 5: Watch helplessly as they glide past you and score
Wow, your beer league must be a higher level than mine. My step 1 when I play defense is trip over the blue line... which could be why my goalie told me I'm never playing a shift on defense again.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Lol wat. You cant be serious.

Mintyukov
Zellweger
Luneau
Lacombe
Hinds
Warren
Moore

Vs

Hutson
Barron
Mailloux
Norlinder

Did I miss anyone?

I take NJ over MTL and it's not even close.
Quantity but not so much quality. Many won't have much NHL value, if any.

No Anaheim U21 defenseman is as advanced as Lane Hutson (U19).

NJ with Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec on top. Not to forget Buffalo with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power who are still very young.

What makes the difference are the players who stand out.

If you have 6 average defenders - ok for depth but not competitive.

Montreal has a complete top 6 for the coming decade (Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj, Harris)... Maybe Reinbacher soon... So no Anaheim is not necessarily better armed. It will depend on the elite quality of the best. The best are rather in Montreal (Hutson, Guhle). Mintyukov can be a game changer. Drysdale... incomplete.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

NJ with Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec on top. Not to forget Buffalo with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power who are still very young.

Montreal has a complete top 6 for the coming decade (Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj, Harris)... Maybe Reinbacher soon... So no Anaheim is not necessarily better armed. It will depend on the elite quality of the best. The best are rather in Montreal (Hutson, Guhle). Mintyukov can be a game changer. Drysdale... incomplete.
Well if Drysdale is an incomplete then so is Guhle. Hutson is a nice prospect just like Mintyukov

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA

Lol you must be joking.

Zellweger is on par with Hutson and Mintyukov is a better prospect than both of them, he's one of the best D prospects in the entire sport.

Luneau is also an absolute stud (definitely prefer him to Mailloux), and LaCombe, Hinds, Warren are no slouches. And if you want to include Guhle we can add Drysdale for Anaheim as well.

Never seen anyone try and say Anaheim doesn't have an insanely stacked defensive farm system. Both quality and quanity

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Well if Drysdale is an incomplete then so is Guhle. Hutson is a nice prospect just like Mintyukov
Guhle is much more defensive than Drysdale.

Mintyukov plays in the OHL without being the best defenseman in the league. Hutson is already the best defenseman in the NCAA.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Hutson is still very incomplete…. And so is guhle by your standard.

Guhle is much more defensive than Drysdale.

Mintyukov plays in the OHL without being the best defenseman in the league. Hutson is already the best defenseman in the NCAA.

Clarke is prob the only dmen in OHL better than Mintyukov and he’s draft year + 2

Hughes > Hutson

Lacombe is better defensively than Hutson…. Does that change anything?

Your just talking out your ass at this point

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Lol you must be joking.

Zellweger is on par with Hutson and Mintyukov is a better prospect than both of them, he's one of the best D prospects in the entire sport.

Luneau is also an absolute stud (definitely prefer him to Mailloux), and LaCombe, Hinds, Warren are no slouches. And if you want to include Guhle we can add Drysdale for Anaheim as well.

Never seen anyone try and say Anaheim doesn't have an insanely stacked defensive farm system. Both quality and quanity
Anaheim either has defenses that are likely to have trouble going puckless in the NHL, or defenses that will have trouble using the puck in the NHL.

The guys you cite play very well in CHL. But the senior circuit is something else. The move to the AHL will lower hopes for many.

Many dominant players in the CHL have done nothing. Even recently, takes a look at what has become of Bode Wilde.

The Montreal defenders have all validated the move to Senior except Hutson. But Hutson left to be on the basis of a Quinn Hughes or an Adam Fox. At worst, Torey Krug.

Hutson is still very incomplete…. And so is guhle by your standard.

Clarke is prob the only dmen in OHL better than Mintyukov and he’s draft year + 2

Hughes > Hutson

Lacombe is better defensively than Hutson…. Does that change anything?

Your just talking out your ass at this point
Hutson is excellent defensively with elite stick usage. I don't know it's just points but Hutson outclassed Hughes with a worse team and a year younger. The podcasts I listen to already speak of him as the best NCAA defenseman.

For sure, Hutson was the only defender nominated in the top 10 of the Hobey Baker Trophy.

Guhle is a great defender in the NHL. He impressed all the followers this year.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Anaheim either has defenses that are likely to have trouble going puckless in the NHL, or defenses that will have trouble using the puck in the NHL.

The guys you cite play very well in CHL. But the senior circuit is something else. The move to the AHL will lower hopes for many.

Many dominant players in the CHL have done nothing. Even recently, takes a look at what has become of Bode Wilde.

The Montreal defenders have all validated the move to Senior except Hutson. But Hutson left to be on the basis of a Quinn Hughes or an Adam Fox. At worst, Torey Krug.

Hutson is excellent defensively with elite stick usage.

Guhle is a great defender in the NHL. He impressed all the followers this year.
So anaheims Chl players will struggle in the transition going up but Montreal’s Chl players will or have not struggled? I mean Montreal wasn’t a very good team this year with these guys correct defensively?

Just seems like you somehow have put Montreal in a thread about Luneau who was drafted by Anaheim.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
So anaheims Chl players will struggle in the transition going up but Montreal’s Chl players will or have not struggled? I mean Montreal wasn’t a very good team this year with these guys correct defensively?

Just seems like you somehow have put Montreal in a thread about Luneau who was drafted by Anaheim.
Guys who break through in the NHL there are not many. So skeptical of 2nd to 4th round prospects until they reach the senior level.

Guhle has been the best defenseman in Montreal this year. Barron started very well.

Xhekaj and Harris to be on a 3rd pair is interesting.

But yeah, in the NHL you can't be competitive with 4 rookie defensemen and 2 average veterans with no #1 goalie behind.

Anaheim's defenders are starting from even lower.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Guys who break through in the NHL there are not many. So skeptical of 2nd to 4th round prospects.

Guhle has been the best defenseman in Montreal this year. Barron started very well.

But yeah, in the NHL you can't be competitive with 4 rookie defensemen and 2 average veterans with no #1 goalie behind.

Skeptical of 2nd round guys like... Hutson?

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Guys who break through in the NHL there are not many. So skeptical of 2nd to 4th round prospects.

Anaheims guys aren’t gonna get the Montreal treatment of that many young guys up at once. Let’s see who the ducks get at coach and put a system in place. So they aren’t really starting any lower then the habs did with their guys.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Luneau was supposed to be a 1st round pick, but had injuries

Drysdale was 5th overall
Mintyukov was 10th
Zellweger 34(suffered similar fate as Hutson)
Lacombe 39(moved to d from forward)
Helleson 47

Hinds 3rd rounder, huge part of Canadian world juniors teams, and arguably best dmen in qmjhl.
Warren kinda a unicorn player but a project player, who knows how that ends up

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Skeptical of 2nd round guys like... Hutson?
We all know he was worth a top 10 but went down because of his height. Since then he has grown more than 5cm.

Hutson would be selected after Nemec and Jiricek if the draft goes through this year.

Already much better than Anaheim defenders playing in the NCAA, that's for sure.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We all know he was worth a top 10 but went down because of his height. Since then he has grown more than 5cm.

Hutson would be selected after Nemec and Jiricek if the draft goes through this year.

Already much better than Anaheim defenders playing in the NCAA, that's for sure.

Zellweger had a similar problem. And been arguably best dmen in chl over last 2 years and has 2 world junior golds in which he was the teams go to dmen.

Ducks don’t have any prospects in the NCAA really outside of moore

Reactions: BerthMania

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Luneau was supposed to be a 1st round pick, but had injuries

Drysdale was 5th overall
Mintyukov was 10th
Zellweger 34(suffered similar fate as Hutson)
Lacombe 39(moved to d from forward)
Helleson 47

Hinds 3rd rounder, huge part of Canadian world juniors teams, and arguably best dmen in qmjhl.
Warren kinda a unicorn player but a project player, who knows how that ends up
Drysdale 6 behind Sanderson and worries a lot defensively. A year with a serious injury.
Mintyukov : best prospect but still in OHL.
Zellweger... We'll see in a senior league. He plays in a league being the oldest. Hutson plays in a league being the youngest.
Lacombe and Helleson... LOL

Luneau was disappointing last year. Not a matter of injury. He had a very good season. I think he will be a good top 4 defender. But will he be better than Guhle, Hutson, Barron and potentially Reinbacher (tipped to be selected 6th by Montreal)

Zellweger had a similar problem. And been arguably best dmen in chl over last 2 years and has 2 world junior golds in which he was the teams go to dmen.

Ducks don’t have any prospects in the NCAA really outside of moore
Never Zellweger comes out top 10 of a 2021 redraft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad