RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Not really convinced for me. I won't be surprised if he slips on the 2nd round. We'll see, but I'll be very surprised to see Luneau as the 3rd right-handed defender.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Not really convinced for me. I won't be surprised if he slips on the 2nd round. We'll see, but I'll be very surprised to see Luneau as the 3rd right-handed defender.
I don’t see a situation where Luneau has to wait until day 2 to hear his name called. He literally has everything you want in a modern day defender. Size, mobility, smarts. I’ve heard comparisons to Charlie McAvoy.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t see a situation where Luneau has to wait until day 2 to hear his name called. He literally has everything you want in a modern day defender. Size, mobility, smarts. I’ve heard comparisons to Charlie McAvoy.

I agree it's hard not to see a team picking him in the first round as he is a very good right handed Dman prospect with size that can skate but he just doesn't blow anyone away and isn't dynamic but that's not a bad thing is it?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

Places are increasingly scarce for Canadian players.

With this year the presence of 4 Czechs and Slovaks, the Europeans should represent half of the players selected in the 1st round. And then there's USDP with Cooley, McGroarty, Nazar, Casey, Howard, Snuggerud, Gauthier.

Which ultimately makes few Canadians (I expect 9). Currently, I think there are several Canadian defenders before Luneau.

A very deep draft as a right-handed defender.

This year should be very complicated for QMJHL players.

When you learn about the level on the hockey planet - the best Quebec player is not guaranteed to be selected in the 1st round.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Places are increasingly scarce for Canadian players.

With this year the presence of 4 Czechs and Slovaks, the Europeans should represent half of the players selected in the 1st round. And then there's USDP with Cooley, McGroarty, Nazar, Casey, Howard, Snuggerud, Gauthier.

Which ultimately makes few Canadians (I expect 9). Currently, I think there are several Canadian defenders before Luneau.

A very deep draft as a right-handed defender.

This year should be very complicated for QMJHL players.

When you learn about the level on the hockey planet - the best Quebec player is not guaranteed to be selected in the 1st round.
You can argue the semantics all you want - at the end of the day though, Luneau has everything you want out of a modern day defender in the NHL. He’ll go first round.

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You can argue the semantics all you want - at the end of the day though, Luneau has everything you want out of a modern day defender in the NHL. He’ll go first round.

As already said : I will not be sure. There is competition. It's a question of level of play on a global scale.
In the second half of the first round there should still be guys like Salomonsson or Nelson.

His selection in the first round is not acquired.

It will depend on the preferences of the teams concerned at the time. It's very random.

There is also the possibility that some teams prefer other right-handed defenders who are perfectly possible before Luneau.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As already said : I will not be sure. There is competition. It's a question of level of play on a global scale.
In the second half of the first round there should still be guys like Salomonsson or Nelson.

His selection in the first round is not acquired.

It will depend on the preferences of the teams concerned at the time. It's very random.

There is also the possibility that some teams prefer other right-handed defenders who are perfectly possible before Luneau.

Sure all of these things are possible but it's more than likely that he goes in the first round and most scouting services agree with that ranking.

If he drops to the second round people will then switch to the "he is a steal at this stage of the draft mode" and for good reason.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Sure all of these things are possible but it's more than likely that he goes in the first round and most scouting services agree with that ranking.

If he drops to the second round people will then switch to the "he is a steal at this stage of the draft mode" and for good reason.

Luneau's rating has dropped significantly compared to last year.

Yet I am pro Q but I am lucid. What is perceived as an excellent player in Q, is not necessarily perceived as such on a global scale because there are other very interesting players in the world.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Stylistically speaking who does he compare to? Could he play on the to pairing or is he more of a second pairing guy?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Luneau's rating has dropped significantly compared to last year.

Yet I am pro Q but I am lucid. What is perceived as an excellent player in Q, is not necessarily perceived as such on a global scale because there are other very interesting players in the world.

well that can be said with any league...some years the best Russian for the draft who is playing KHL might not be better than player from QMJHL, or best guy from WHL or OHL in years might not be better than the QMJHL, what is your point...what you just described is the whole draft premise...Luneau fell in the early rankings for things but again that is just early rankings...but end of season he will be back up to mid first IMO, he is doing just great again and his output will not go unrecognized teams drafting. Just because I do not like a league i do not downplay a player in the league based on that.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
well that can be said with any league...some years the best Russian for the draft who is playing KHL might not be better than player from QMJHL, or best guy from WHL or OHL in years might not be better than the QMJHL, what is your point...what you just described is the whole draft premise...Luneau fell in the early rankings for things but again that is just early rankings...but end of season he will be back up to mid first IMO, he is doing just great again and his output will not go unrecognized teams drafting. Just because I do not like a league i do not downplay a player in the league based on that.

In general, a Russian who plays in KHL (Danila Iurov) is a player who would be very dominant in CHL.

You have to face the facts. Qers there are not many left in the NHL. Even the best player of a year of birth in Quebec is not necessarily a top player for world hockey.

I would love to ignite for Luneau but I prefer to wait rather than be disappointed.

How many Q defenders shine in the NHL ?

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Montreal will probably snag him at the end of the first round if he's available. The backlash for not drafting Quebec kids is growing over and over

Reactions: scoutman1

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
In general, a Russian who plays in KHL (Danila Iurov) is a player who would be very dominant in CHL.

You have to face the facts. Qers there are not many left in the NHL. Even the best player of a year of birth in Quebec is not necessarily a top player for world hockey.

I would love to ignite for Luneau but I prefer to wait rather than be disappointed.

first Daniil Chyaka played KHL last year and came back to CHL this year to not dominate at all...your theory is not correct at all and is based on pure hate for the QMJHL...

just to name a few Thomas Chabot, Kris Letang, Noah Dobson, Keith Yandle, Mackenzie Weeger, Samuel Girard to name some

you saying not many QMJHL guys left in the NHL shows me your lack of knowledge of the league so im going to avoid that argument that is useless because on spite you put a player down....

just again so you would draft Shakir Mukhamadullin because he plays KHL over a guy like jake Sanderson just because Shakir plays in a high league...lol...thumbs up with that logic.

NHL teams should stop drafting QMJHLers then and just reserve round 7 for all the QMJHL guys worth even drafting so when they get let down by them it will not hurt the teams chances of taking amazing prospects from much more elite leagues.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
first Daniil Chyaka played KHL last year and came back to CHL this year to not dominate at all...your theory is not correct at all and is based on pure hate for the QMJHL...

just to name a few Thomas Chabot, Kris Letang, Noah Dobson, Keith Yandle, Mackenzie Weeger, Samuel Girard to name some

you saying not many QMJHL guys left in the NHL shows me your lack of knowledge of the league so im going to avoid that argument that is useless because on spite you put a player down....

just again so you would draft Shakir Mukhamadullin because he plays KHL over a guy like jake Sanderson just because Shakir plays in a high league...lol...thumbs up with that logic.

NHL teams should stop drafting QMJHLers then and just reserve round 7 for all the QMJHL guys worth even drafting so when they get let down by them it will not hurt the teams chances of taking amazing prospects from much more elite leagues.

Okay... Chayka hardly played in the KHL last year. Rather, he is a player who has been transferred from one level to another as needed. I was thinking of a player like Yurov who really plays in KHL.

Then you didn't pay attention to what I said. I'm a QMJHL follower and pro Q. On NHL 22, I even moved Tampa Bay to Quebec making an all-Q team. So the hate argument...

It also seems that I hate Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Czechs, Slovaks... As soon as I tell a fan not to get excited and to take the competition into account... I hear this pathetic argument.

You were able to name 6 names over 15 years of generation. It does very little.

Besides that, I saw a lot of Q defenders, presented as heavyweights never breaking through. Many of the top Qs are only selected in the 2nd-3rd round with global competition.

Funny that you quote Mukhamadullin. He was selected exactly at the rank I predicted for him in 2020. I don't really see the relevance of comparing him to Sanderson. Nothing to do with the subject. If you want to know I had Sanderson higher in my 2020 ranking.

Just stop being stupid. It plays hockey elsewhere than in Quebec and there are players who compete with Luneau like RD. However, his season is below expectations at the start of the season. He is very very far from Dobson 2018.

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Okay... Chayka hardly played in the KHL last year. Rather, he is a player who has been transferred from one level to another as needed. I was thinking of a player like Yurov who really plays in KHL.

Then you didn't pay attention to what I said. I'm a QMJHL follower and pro Q. On NHL 22, I even moved Tampa Bay to Quebec making an all-Q team. So the hate argument...

It also seems that I hate Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Czechs, Slovaks... As soon as I tell a fan not to get excited and to take the competition into account... I hear this pathetic argument.

You were able to name 6 names over 15 years of generation. It does very little.

Besides that, I saw a lot of Q defenders, presented as heavyweights never breaking through. Many of the top Qs are only selected in the 2nd-3rd round with global competition.

Funny that you quote Mukhamadullin. He was selected exactly at the rank I predicted for him in 2020. I don't really see the relevance of comparing him to Sanderson. Nothing to do with the subject. If you want to know I had Sanderson higher in my 2020 ranking.

Just stop being stupid. It plays hockey elsewhere than in Quebec and there are players who compete with Luneau like RD. However, his season is below expectations at the start of the season. He is very very far from Dobson 2018.

Well with just uunder 145 millions people in Russia to 8 millions in Qc Russia should havve way more russian defencemen in the NHL and at the moment there aren't, even less good one. So you can look at it in the way you want but Russian defenceman even the one who plays in the KHL at 18 are not better than the one in the Q. But comparing Dobson to Luneau is also dumb... Dobson is way better offensively than Luneau will never be. Luneau should get draft by the end of the first round but he is far from a sure shot in the NHL

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Well with just uunder 145 millions people in Russia to 8 millions in Qc Russia should havve way more russian defencemen in the NHL and at the moment there aren't, even less good one. So you can look at it in the way you want but Russian defenceman even the one who plays in the KHL at 18 are not better than the one in the Q. But comparing Dobson to Luneau is also dumb... Dobson is way better offensively than Luneau will never be. Luneau should get draft by the end of the first round but he is far from a sure shot in the NHL

Don't really understand what Russia is doing in the discussion. But if I have to talk about it, I will say that their prospects are getting stronger and there are more and more Russian defensemen being drafted. 10 Russian defensemen regularly play in the NHL. 4 are good. In 10 years it will probably be double. The current top D prospect for 2023 is Russian (Mikhail Gulyayev). He doesn't even play in KHL. Things change. A U18 defender who plays in the KHL is very rare. You have to be very strong to get there. I don't think Luneau has the level to currently play in the KHL.

It has nothing to do with the conversation. You're picking up a weak argument from another who was talking about a player like Chayka who didn't really play in the KHL last year and who wasn't even an U18.

Yes Luneau is probably better than Chayka but he should not be compared to him. It's up to the other right-handed defenders in the Class of 2022.

Even redoing my ranking, I fell with Nelson in 25 and after that it's difficult to immediately put Luneau ahead of players with another very interesting profile (Bystedt, Bichsel, Gauthier, Devine...).

It's going to be a tough year for Q players this year. There might not be any in the 1st round. Places are scarce and as already said, the presence of Czech and Slovak players as well as a very deep USDP promotion further limits places.

Reactions: Wackster

JohnJim

Mar 19, 2022
Big drop in NHL Central Scouting rankings - from 10 to 24. Why is that? A disappointing season? Or other prospects just outperforming him?

Does he still have a chance to be a mid first round pick or will he maybe drop to the second round?

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
If he continues to fall like this I hope the Oilers grab him with their 1st provided it’s not traded for a goalie. His defensive prowess outweighs all the other concerns for me.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It’s very interesting with Luneau, he has played real well in the playoffs so far with Gatineau and enjoyed a real good draft year also. Some may want more offence but he is one of the most sound defensive players in the draft.

I believe he could go as high as 7 to Ottawa and is undoubtedly the third best right handed defender available for the 2022 draft. He’ll go higher than many expect - I like the Charlie McAvoy comparable.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad