RD Tristan Luneau - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 53rd, ANA)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Doesn’t have the offensive game to project as a top pair guy unless you think he turns into a Dan Hamhius or Paul Martin type

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
He does not have the offensive creativity nor the otherworldly skating that wow people, but he is definitely a first rounder. I would say his range should 13-23. Button's rankings makes no sense. Luneau is a solid skater, 6'2'', excellent two-player with a very high hockey IQ and A+ character.

He underwent surgery this summer and missed both the Hockey Canada camp and his team's training camp as well as a few regular season games. Therefore, he started the season the season pointless in his first 6 games (hence Button's rankings) but has 12 points in 13 games since...

I agree that Hamhuis is a good comparable. Eric Desjardins would be a best-case scenario.

Reactions: Fenris

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't know enough about the entire class yet to know where he should go, but I find his skating a bit too clunky for my liking. Nice size frame, so maybe it improves over time, you would expect better for a kid with his pedigree. Definitely could see him being a bit of a tweener because of it.

Reactions: bert

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Luneau is a smart smooth-skating offensive defenseman who displayed a graceful four-way mobility and a wonderful poise/confidence. He managed pressure extremely well, continuously staying aware of his options, calmly dissecting plays and smoothly moving around forecheckers. He notably highlighted a terrific vision and remarkable passing touch on his outlets — all highly effective. Luneau used his frame successfully to protect his puck, and flashed slick puck skills to navigate skating lanes. He enjoyed carrying the puck up the ice himself, and although he never got to impressive speeds, his agility and grace were striking. Luneau quarterbacked the power play and offensively cycle fluidly, moving around the zone instinctively as well as showcasing great puck distribution. On the defensive side of the puck, Luneau fought well for loose pucks and boxed out his man on rebounds. He could look to improve his foot speed though, as he could get a step late when guarding quick rivals. Luneau showcased incredible tools and effectiveness, but I’m waiting to see him take control of games more often. If he could improve his explosiveness/quickness as well, he possesses the IQ and talent to develop into a top-four defenseman at the next level."

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Played in my minor structure when I was coach there, never coach his club but was on the ice often with him

This guy have a 98% moy at school. Leader, hard worker (first one the ice, last on the ice) His mobility is very good. Agreed that his top speed his not his best attribute, but his crossover and his 1-2-3 step is fine. IQ off the chart, can manipulate the play to create space for him or for his teammates

Jeff Petry may be a good comparable, also Dmitri Orlov

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Guy Flaming of The Pipeline Show caught up with Luneau for an interview. Can read/listen below:

The Pipeline: A conversation with Tristan Luneau

Guy Flaming: Let’s talk about the draft. When I ask players about the draft, a lot of them will say they try not to think about it, because they don’t want it to be a distraction. There are other players though who tell me they wanna see where they are ranked and things like that and they use that as motivation. What about for you Tristan?

Tristan Luneau: I’m more someone who doesn’t look at it and doesn’t really give much thought to it. I have a great coach here in Gatineau, a great coaching staff, great players and teammates too. I want to focus on that and make my stay in Gatineau really enjoyable and make sure I do everything right here. What happens in the draft will happen, but if I do the right things here, then good things will happen there. That’s really my thought process right now.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
How good is he ?
Luneau is very very good...his IQ is his biggest asset, he controls the play well, excellent in his own zone and very good with the puck, he plays a super mature game, watching him he will not blow you away but he makes all the right plays, very solid passing, great QB on the back end. In my opinion he is top 15 in this draft...he is also a guy who teams might kick themselves later for letting him fall. I can see the Eric Desjardins comparison...

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
No, he is not top 15. Yet I saw him top 10 last summer but he is clearly not at the level of the best.

There are so many better right-handed defenders than him.

Nemec will be taken before him for sure.

Jiricek will be taken before him for sure.

Casey will be taken before him for sure.

When the 3rd of these 3 is selected it will already be around 15th place.

After you have Nelson, Salomonsson... A team that likes him a lot can make a reach at the end of the first round.

Reactions: montreal

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
No, he is not top 15. Yet I saw him top 10 last summer but he is clearly not at the level of the best.

After you have Nelson, Salomonsson... A team that likes him a lot can make a reach at the end of the first round.

What makes him fall ? Seems his stock has dropped a bit

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

Ty

lol well Nemec will be taken top 5 probably so i was not talking top 5...same goes for Jiricek probably top 10.....Luneau is doing a lot better now...he got his game going, the guy is too smart to fall too far, yes he might go later in the 1st and after the top 5 guys in this draft there is a lot left up in the air...Nelson, Casey might go before him, they might not...Luneau is a guy whos IQ is so high that teams will take notice of it, because of that he can be used in any situation on the ice and be effective and that will make some teams have him ranked pretty high. I love Casey, the guy has amazing hands with the puck and great rushing ability, I keep going to IQ and skill package and Luneau has that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad