RD Ryan Chesley - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 37th, WSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ducks second 1st round pick (from Boston) :crossfing

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ryan Chesley was one of the top defencemen for the United States National Team Development program this year. He played big minutes and was used in all situations, especially in their biggest games. Chesley scored 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points in 59 games played. He was even better at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Chesley was an alternate captain for Team USA. He scored two goals and five points in six tournament games. He also led all players in the tournament with a +13 plus/minus rating. Chesley helped the American team win a silver medal.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Sounds like the exact type of player the Jets need.

He along with McGroarty are on my wish list. Wouldn’t hesitate taking either one at #14. Jets also have #30, but I’m sure Chesley will be gone before then.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hope Ducks (if the Ducks take a forward with the #10 pick) I think he's floor is top 5 defensemen, he will be a #3 defensemen IMO. I'd love that and his style for the Ducks with all our small transition D. He's a fitness nut and is really freaking strong, I'd bet he could play AHL hockey next season and be a stand out.

If there is anyway a team is able to draft both Hutson & Chelsey to the same team, they should definitely do that.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like the exact type of player the Jets need.

He along with McGroarty are on my wish list. Wouldn’t hesitate taking either one at #14. Jets also have #30, but I’m sure Chesley will be gone before then.
Not so sure about that. There are a lot of intriguing Dmen after the first two. I can easily see Chesley getting lost in the shuffle, and not getting taken till the 2nd round. I like him, but there is no trait that "pops', to me. Some teams would rather take a player like Luneau, Rinzel, Bichsel, Korchinski (and on and on) because of their size, skating, or offensive upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hope Ducks (if the Ducks take a forward with the #10 pick) I think he's floor is top 5 defensemen, he will be a #3 defensemen IMO. I'd love that and his style for the Ducks with all our small transition D. He's a fitness nut and is really freaking strong, I'd bet he could play AHL hockey next season and be a stand out.

If there is anyway a team is able to draft both Hutson & Chelsey to the same team, they should definitely do that.
I wouldn’t pair them together though. I think it neuters Chesley’s offensive game. Obviously you don’t pass up having two big talents like that, but one of the reasons I thought that US team underachieved is because they didn’t maximize Chesley’s skillset due to not having the configuration to pair others with Hutson.

Reactions: Beckett

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Can't believe he didn't go. Really hope the Leafs are able to pick him up with 38. I really wanted him at 25

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I am super surprised he dropped out of first. I quess if you are just 6" on size as d, it wont be enough for D to be on first round then? o_O

Gonna be a good value pick for whoever gets him from now on.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Caps get really close to NHL ready D-man at early in second round. They were weak on D and they got a potentially good fix on their right side. Could be a potential second pair right side D-man for them in the future.

Great move for them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Any Gophers fans able to comment on how Chesley has looked this year? Haven’t heard much about him since the season started. His stat line seems a bit underwhelming and he’s on the third pair (he was on the first pair on opening night).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Any Gophers fans able to comment on how Chesley has looked this year? Haven’t heard much about him since the season started. His stat line seems a bit underwhelming and he’s on the third pair (he was on the first pair on opening night).
Solid, and quite physical for a Freshman. The Gophs have a mature and talented D corps(Faber, Johnson, Lacombe, Koster, Staudacher are all upperclassmen), so it's no reflection on Chesley if he isn't playing top minutes on a team that is ranked either at the top, or near the top, in the nation. He will get plenty of TOI next year, when almost all of the Dmen listed above will be gone.
I think the U will be a great place for him to develop his skating. The big ice surface demands it.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The big ice surface is going away next summer. Finally.

He's been good. Like 75% similar to Ryan Lindgren his freshman year, but Lindgren was thrown into a way bigger role based on that roster having a brutal D unit.

After three years in college he could be very solid.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Probably the steal of the draft. Poorly used this season. Would've been a top 5 pick otherwise.
I know you’re a huge Chesley fan, but I think it’s highly likely this turns out to be a very bad take. I see a guy with a well rounded game at lower levels, but nothing about his offence really pops, I don’t see him being a big contributor offensively at the NHL level. Perfectly fine puck mover/solid breakout passes, sure, but not an impact player offensively (in the NHL). And it’s hard to excel in a stay at home role at the NHL at 6’, even with a strong build like Chesley.

I think he’s a future NHLer, but more likely bottom pair than top 4. Nothing screams “should have been a top 5 pick” to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know you’re a huge Chesley fan, but I think it’s highly likely this turns out to be a very bad take. I see a guy with a well rounded game at lower levels, but nothing about his offence really pops, I don’t see him being a big contributor offensively at the NHL level. Perfectly fine puck mover/solid breakout passes, sure, but not an impact player offensively (in the NHL). And it’s hard to excel in a stay at home role at the NHL at 6’, even with a strong build like Chesley.

I think he’s a future NHLer, but more likely bottom pair than top 4. Nothing screams “should have been a top 5 pick” to me.

Not sure why you’re coming at me for a take from July. If you wanted to argue with me about that, you should’ve done so in July.

Chesley has a bomb of a shot. If you don’t see that, I don’t know how to help you see it. He’s also a great skater and heavily aggressive offensively, when given a chance to play that role.

We saw this his U17 season. Unfortunately, he was tasked with babysitting Hutson last season, to the demise of the team when it mattered. And then this season he’s playing a small role for the best team in the country. They have three upperclassman defensemen that take the minutes that could allow for him to score more points.

And besides, the way hockey works, the chances a player gets with regards to minutes and PP time is huge. Everyone knows this. You think all those players who just so happened to increase their totals for expansion teams the last five years did so because they magically improved so much in the course of one season as opposed to were given bigger roles?

No lock that ever happens for Chesley. Some, including you, have boxed him into a defensive role. However, he was never going to get a big role this season for such a good team. Don’t know why months after the fact you’re trying to come at me for something there’s no way was going to be resolved this season. And by all accounts from Minnesota fans he’s playing well.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
At this stage I'd say very unlikely he ends up a top pairing D man in the NHL. There are only like 60ish of those in the world at any given point.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Chesley also isn't getting PP time- hell, Faber isn't getting much PP TOI. Again, next year will probably be a different story. He's in a good spot, and getting lots of support. We'll see how he progresses this season. Next year will be the time that he will be called on to do a lot more things.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad