RD Ryan Chesley - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 37th, WSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I am a fan of his game. His point production is probably mostly restricted because he is baby sitting Lane Hutson in same pairing(at least in games that I watched.). Despite that, his point production started to come at the late part of the season more.

Complete big mobile two-way defender who is solid everywhere in the ice. Should project as second pairing d-man for NHL.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This kid will be a keeper . Hope like hell ( pun intended ) that my Devils get him somehow but that won’t happen with their 2nd rounder. Perhaps we trade down to the middle of the first if Jiricek and Nemec are gone . We need a RHD in a big way .
All this won’t matter in the 10th here as Devils are winning the draft lotto . Trading down from 1st to give Arizona Wright and us taking Slavkovsky

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This kid will be a keeper . Hope like hell ( pun intended ) that my Devils get him somehow but that won’t happen with their 2nd rounder. Too much of a reach at 5 and long long gone before our 2nd . If Jiricek and Nemec are gone , there might be a slight possibility Devils trade down , gain some assets and try for him in the mid first round ? Too risky though as it would really suck if he gets snatched up a puck or two ahead of us . RHD is a massive need

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I am a fan of his game. His point production is probably mostly restricted because he is baby sitting Lane Hutson in same pairing(at least in games that I watched.). Despite that, his point production started to come at the late part of the season more.

Complete big mobile two-way defender who is solid everywhere in the ice. Should project as second pairing d-man for NHL.
Baby sitting Lane Hutson? Lol ok bud…..

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Baby sitting Lane Hutson? Lol ok bud…..
It shouldn’t be looked at as an insult. Hutson’s style of play requires playing with a defensive partner who is going to be a lot less aggressive offensively. They have to stay back and can’t activate as much. There are plenty of very good offensive defenseman that need that, and it doesn’t mean they are bad defensively. If you pair Makar with Girard, what do you expect you’ll get? Both won’t be at their best.

Is Adam Pelech a fair comparison?
No, he’s a lot more aggressive offensively. He’s good defensively, but he’s not a stay at home guy.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
It shouldn’t be looked at as an insult. Hutson’s style of play requires playing with a defensive partner who is going to be a lot less aggressive offensively. They have to stay back and can’t activate as much. There are plenty of very good offensive defenseman that need that, and it doesn’t mean they are bad defensively. If you pair Makar with Girard, what do you expect you’ll get? Both won’t be at their best.

This was my partially my point too. Biggest name that comes to my mind is Karlsson who needed good defensive d to cover his shortcomings or risks when they realized. Maybe someone like Burns as well when both guys were in their prime.

For Hutson to be at his best, he needs that defensive guy on his pairing and Hutson usually needs to be the one with puck.

It just so happens that this defensive role was the thing that Chesley has been doing and it naturally limits your points you are going to get.

Last edited:

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Wouldn’t mind if Dallas took him. We need a rhd that can play offense and defense.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What is Chesley's reasonable upside?

I really like Chesley when I watch him and would like the Jackets to get that style of player at #12, I'm just not sure if he has enough upside to merit going that high.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
is Kevin Bieksa a good comparison.

I think people forget how good offensively Bieksa was as well.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Few months ago I was hoping he could slip to a very early 2nd rounder … That’s not going to happen anymore unless he is on TMZ for doing something stupid plus breaks his leg in half in said act of stupidity.
I’m not saying he has character issues at all , I’m trying to be funny by saying it would take an unfortunate disaster for him to not go 1st round .
When my Devils take Slafkovsky , I want to somehow package up picks and prospects to trade up to get him . Very unlikely but he is a perfect RHD for us

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
3rd ranked RHD in the draft at this point. Might not have the 3rd highest ceiling, but has a pretty high floor, with no discernible weakness. There are a lot of interesting LHD out there with great size, also, so a team picking in the 20's who just wants D, rather than a RHD, might pick one of them over him.

I hope the Wild get a chance at him in the mid 20's.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
His ceiling would be looked at a lot differently if he played the PP regularly this season and had some better puck luck.
Yeah, now his offensive production upside is pretty much a question mark. There is upside on that area definetly, but how much?

My gut feeling is that he is gonna make something around 25-35 points regularly per season and being big minute all situtations minute muncher.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, now his offensive production upside is pretty much a question mark. There is upside on that area definetly, but how much?

My gut feeling is that he is gonna make something around 25-35 points regularly per season and being big minute all situtations minute muncher.
If true, you are describing a top 15 pick. Because of some of the other very interesting D with great size, or offensive talent, and/or skating he might get lost in the shuffle in the first round, but I keep seeing the next McAvoy. You run to take that all day long. I really feel that this draft has a lot of question marks at the top, but a lot of potential in the later first, and second rounds.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If true, you are describing a top 15 pick. Because of some of the other very interesting D with great size, or offensive talent, and/or skating he might get lost in the shuffle in the first round, but I keep seeing the next McAvoy. You run to take that all day long. I really feel that this draft has a lot of question marks at the top, but a lot of potential in the later first, and second rounds.
I like Chesley in the mid-to-late 1st, but don’t see McAvoy at all, personally. McAvoy was on another level in terms of skating and ability to make things happen with the puck.

I do see the physical similarities, both average sized but strong, and they’re both 2 way dmen, but for me McAvoy is/was a lot more talented.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ducks with Boston pick.. speaking into existence.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021

McAvoy is his own different animal. Not really a comparable. He was always more like 30+ minimum points guy.

Even in this current draft, I think Chesley is somewhere after Mintuykov and Korchinski when I am thinking offensive upside in this draft for d-mans. Those two have better offensive upside but I am not sure if their defensive game is as complete or even as good as Chesley has.

I feel that 15-30 is most likely area where he will be picked. Probably closer to 15 due to his physical attributes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad