RD Ryan Chesley - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 37th, WSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
His ability in transition is maybe the best part of his game. He’s really good at making quick decisions that catch the defense flat-footed.
https://mobile.twitter.com/_NickRichard/status/1440821932325175298

I love this too, I bookmarked this when watching the game. Great assertiveness.

Here's another great play by Chesley at the YOG. This one really made me sit up and take notice. (Note: The tweet incorrectly gives credit to Seamus Casey, but it is indeed Chesley).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t see why he can’t challenge for the top 2-3 in the draft. It’s talented and deep but wide open after Wright. Some will quibble and say other players are doing things in men’s leagues and let’s see Chesley against top level NCAA competition before we get ahead of ourselves but it’s easy to see why scouts drool over not only his toolset but his mindset. The draft is about projection and Chesley just oozes all the effortless traits of a modern franchise RHD who commands the ice - and it’s a premium position to boot.

Robert Ball

Feb 16, 2021
Minnesota
To your point, yes he is. Here is his updated roster page that lists him at 6-0, 195 pounds.

Note, compare this to what is on Central Scouting's first list when it comes out. When Central puts a player on their list, they use their own measurements, not the one provided by the team.

Central Scouting measures NTDP U17/18 height multiple times a season...not sure about weight. Maybe fewer measurements last season due to COVID. It appears NTDP roster will round up/down Central Scouting to the nearest inch. TSN Craig Button rankings released last week includes most recent Central Scouting heights for NTDP. As for Chesley, he's listed at 6'0 1/4 " but used last year's roster weight.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Central Scouting measures NTDP U17/18 height multiple times a season...not sure about weight. Maybe fewer measurements last season due to COVID. It appears NTDP roster will round up/down Central Scouting to the nearest inch. TSN Craig Button rankings released last week includes most recent Central Scouting heights for NTDP. As for Chesley, he's listed at 6'0 1/4 " but used last year's roster weight.
Good to know. Thanks.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is up with him this year? Looks very average.

Are you getting this from his stats?

I haven't watched any games yet, but from what I've read it's just one of those weird small samples where he's playing well and getting good reviews, but points aren't necessarily coming.

He's leading the defensemen in shots on goal and shots on goal per game, but is 7 and 6 points behind Casey and Hutson. His shots per game is up from last season. It's 1.69 per game as opposed to 1.37 last season. Last season he shot 17.9%, which is high for a defenseman, although its juniors so everyone's SH% is about 5% inflated and he has a very good shot for a defenseman. This season, he's shooting 4.5%, which is the lowest on the team among players to have scored at least one goal (four of the other defensemen are the only ones that haven't scored yet). That has to be bad luck. He has, at minimum, a top 2-3 shot on the team, and to have essentially the worst SH% of the guys that score goals makes no sense. Not always a great stat, but his +/- is +4.

Same thing happened with Wright the first few weeks of his season. We are talking about a 13 game sample, so I would just say that it's probably some bad luck that'll even itself out over the course of the season.

Robert Ball

Feb 16, 2021
Minnesota
What is up with him this year? Looks very average.

I've watched a few games, all were college opponents, and he still appears to project as a very solid NHL defenseman. Getting good shots to the net but cannot get them past. He might be fighting to keep the shooter spot on pp as a few other players have rotated in. He is also doing a great job generating chances on the rush, but again, very few finishes. Last game he rushed the puck into the zone and 3 passes later D-man Casey buried it as the trailer...terrific sequence but no point for the guy who started the play. Another notable stat is PIM...also misleading? Zero penalties in 10 of 13 games and I'm willing to bet these are NOT trips, holds, hooks or slashes as he is an elite defender. He will need to tone down his physical play internationally for sure.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Could he play a shutdown role or is he more of an offensive D-men?

Also does he project as a top pairing D-men or more of a Top 4 D-men?

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I've watched a few games, all were college opponents, and he still appears to project as a very solid NHL defenseman. Getting good shots to the net but cannot get them past. He might be fighting to keep the shooter spot on pp as a few other players have rotated in. He is also doing a great job generating chances on the rush, but again, very few finishes. Last game he rushed the puck into the zone and 3 passes later D-man Casey buried it as the trailer... a terrific sequence but no point for the guy who started the play. Another notable stat is PIM...also misleading? Zero penalties in 10 of 13 games and I'm willing to bet these are NOT trips, holds, hooks or slashes as he is an elite defender. He will need to tone down his physical play internationally for sure.

I've watched a bunch of games as well. I find it funny some people are ranking draft picks without having watched any games this year. A lot of things change... Right now Chesley is not performing as well as he did last year. To me, it seems like he is trying too hard. Taking way too many chances and hitting anything that comes his way. He needs to tone it down and refocus. He still has flashes of being a GREAT d-man but he just needs to get back to doing what he does best and play with consistency. Hutson has also been underperforming - however to me it seems as if he has struggled in the college games. This is an instance where his size has become an issue. I am loving Casey and Leddy together. They compliment each other very well. At this point in the season, they are the top pairing on the team - flip-flopping with Chesley and Hutson. Casey has really improved his decision-making and is moving the puck so much better. He has also shored up his D-zone coverage - which might have to do with his partner as well. Leddy is much improved with passing and o-zone play. And still incredible at d-zone - leading the team in +- which is impressive since he only plays 5v5 and man down (watch their last game vs Chicago and you will see what I mean).

Some forwards have also impressed. Looks like Spicer has really taken a step forward this year. I also really like Lucious before he went out with an injury.
Overall it's a great deep team. When they are firing on all cylinders they are really fun to watch.

Robert Ball

Feb 16, 2021
Minnesota
I've watched a bunch of games as well. I find it funny some people are ranking draft picks without having watched any games this year. A lot of things change... Right now Chesley is not performing as well as he did last year. To me, it seems like he is trying too hard. Taking way too many chances and hitting anything that comes his way. He needs to tone it down and refocus. He still has flashes of being a GREAT d-man but he just needs to get back to doing what he does best and play with consistency. Hutson has also been underperforming - however to me it seems as if he has struggled in the college games. This is an instance where his size has become an issue. I am loving Casey and Leddy together. They compliment each other very well. At this point in the season, they are the top pairing on the team - flip-flopping with Chesley and Hutson. Casey has really improved his decision-making and is moving the puck so much better. He has also shored up his D-zone coverage - which might have to do with his partner as well. Leddy is much improved with passing and o-zone play. And still incredible at d-zone - leading the team in +- which is impressive since he only plays 5v5 and man down (watch their last game vs Chicago and you will see what I mean).

Some forwards have also impressed. Looks like Spicer has really taken a step forward this year. I also really like Lucious before he went out with an injury.
Overall it's a great deep team. When they are firing on all cylinders they are really fun to watch.

I definitely agree with most of that. I follow NTDP fairly closely because it is the most efficient way to see the next wave of USA players. And I'm a little bias towards MN players! I do not follow the Canadian or European players other than the tournaments so I'm not a rankings guy whatsoever. However, I do think Chesley is still the best USA d-man. It's funny listening people describe his best attributes...."shot, skating, physicality, shut-down D, offense, passing, transition game, etc". Nobody agrees...that says something. Casey is so good with the puck but not so much without it. Definitely improved in D zone but still falls asleep...did it last game. Hutson has pretty good D zone awareness, but yeah, unfortunately just not strong enough. Also agree with Leddy but keep in mind the best +/- ice time on a winning team is 5v5 and man down...pp only has minus opportunities and man down only has plus opportunities.

Totally agree with Lucius and especially Spicer. Snuggerud has also looked better early.

Reactions: covfefe

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Luc Poitras can now grant me permission to comment because I have watched a few games now.

Chesley's not playing the PP right now, which I didn't previously realize, so I think the points totals are mostly irrelevant. I don't think it makes much sense, but they are only using two defensemen on the PP right now, and there are a lot of talented players on that team. I guess when you are snake-bitten with scoring, you may lose your PP spot. He'll get it back eventually, and eventually his totals are going to go up.

I thought Chesley's play looks good though. He's running around less. I think putting him with Hutson forces him to play a safer defensive game and be less aggressive offensively because Hutson is going to play very offensive by nature, so Chesley has to play the safety valve role. I prefer Chesley used with Duke.

I didn't realize how good his hitting has gotten. He's absolutely destroying kids his age out there with vicious hits. I actually don't mind it. He's not taking himself out of position doing it. He's simply playing more physical, and I think it's pretty well timed, although he may want to pick his spots a little better as if you play that way for a full season you are more prone to injuries.

I think Chesley is one of the guys on this current U18 team that game translates a little better to the pros than junior hockey. He's really good defensively, great skating, physical, has the sense, the hands, and a big shot. I like what I'm seeing. He'll start scoring again eventually. He actually had an assist today that started with a nice sequence of defense and transition he had, but he needs to show more of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad