RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really think the Yakemchuk hype is going to pale in comparison to Hutson hype.

He's already been anointed as Makar 2.0 around here. Poor Yak just wants to make the NHL!

Hutson was drafted two years ago, there's been plenty of time for him to develop and the hype to bubble up.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I liked the pick because of the raw tools, but holy hell this guys looks good. He seems like a guy who’s just better suited for the NHL than junior. Being around players who know where to be and not to be so he can play off them. I didn’t think he’d be as smart as he is. His skating can still use some work, but he makes so many clever plays already.

I think he could become a 60-70 point guy within the next 3-4 years.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I see what people are saying about him needing work in the D zone. I think his flaws are fixable though, relies a lot on his reach to defend and less so his skating. Makes sense when you’re used to playing against 5’10-5’11 junior players. Despite all of this, holy is his potential ever high. Hard to find an accurate player comparable.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's entirely possible that when the season starts, and things elevate, he could hit a bit of a wall.

But even still I don't think it will hold him back for long. Regardless of what league he's in, under a year of guidance from an NHL team on training, nutrition, etc. he'll just end up that much better.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I really liked him all year. I thought it was weird how much some people seemed to dislike him (having him outside of 1st) and how much the pick was panned. Will be interesting to see what Ottawa decides to do and how his career unfolds.

Reactions: bert

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'd like his bomb of a shot on the #1 PP unit, with Sanderson on the point, replacing Norris. That would help the team win today.

And play him mostly sheltered on the 3rd pair, but also with Sanderson at times. Although, Kleven hasn't impressed me. If Sandy / Chabot play 52 minutes, and Kleven 8, he can be sheltered.

The puck seems to follow Yak around, and goals just happen when this guy is involved, so creative offensively, and such great puck skills and shot.

Reactions: dr1234 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really liked him all year. I thought it was weird how much some people seemed to dislike him (having him outside of 1st) and how much the pick was panned. Will be interesting to see what Ottawa decides to do and how his career unfolds.
It's because it's arm chair scouts that are capable of evaluating the obvious (skating) and not hockey sense. Which he has a plenty of. They also likely haven't been doing it long enough to project big players who are still growing into their bodies.

Yak is making a serious case as being the best player on the team in pre season which is pretty sad and impressive at the same time.

The other d men fighting for a spot have been less than impressive. He's likely gonna get 9 games but he should be sent down for his long term development.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
What games are people watching these days? I've watched more preseason this time around and I'm absolutely surprised at how many scrubs have permanent roles in the league these days. Zero puck creativity and are just there to help the coach keep his job by playing not to lose.

Yakemchuk has skills you can't teach. Offensive creativity and IQ. Already 19 and not skinny, seems mature. Chabot and Sanderson have proven they're not quality #1 PP guys. And to succeed in NHL, teams need a quality PP these days. He needs to work on his defensive zone reactions but looks like a smart positional dman. Ottawa's management has made so many mistakes, they need to take risks. I don't see the point sending him back to junior. Talent needs to be challenged in order to flourish.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Is there not a site with up to date accurate preseason stats? Total points. You would have to think Yak is pretty high, particularly with rookies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is there not a site with up to date accurate preseason stats? Total points. You would have to think Yak is pretty high, particularly with rookies.

He is tied for 1st in points among NHL defencemen with 4 other guys with 5.
Raddysh and Pionk have done it in 2 games, Yakemchuk and Jones in 3, and Boqvist in 4.

There are some funny names at the top of the lists.

Reminds me of when guys like Jon Sim and Justin Papineau would light up the pre-season.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Was impressed by him last game. He will be good and seem to have a nice slapper for pp duty

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is he making the team or being sent back? Is 9 games more likely?

It's becoming hard to send him back when he's been one of Ottawa's better players.

But pre-season isn't the regular season.

With a new GM and a new coach, it's hard to speculate with no track record.

I'd give him the 9 games at this point, but I doubt management will.

He just turned 19. Sanderson had a great early progression but still he was 20 before becoming a regular.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is he making the team or being sent back? Is 9 games more likely?

Not much indication yet. He spent most of his time in camp with Cahbot while Zub was dealing with an injury. With Zub back in the fold he got a look with Sanderson. I'm not sure what to make of that. Sanderson had previously skated mostly with Hamonic.

He has been a play driver offensively and has made some good plays defensively. There's parts of his game that will be exploited at the NHL level, i think the overly aggressive defensive play can be corrected relatively quick but issues he has with skating are going to take time. The consistency has been encouraging, he hasn't had a long stretch of poor play. He's had bad shifts but has shown he can bounce back in the next shift.

I personally lean towards having him on the roster to start the season, give him a couple games with some sheltered minutes and special teams work and continue the evaluation. The consistency and confidence play a big part into it. I think one of the determining factors that I haven't taken into consideration is how they feel about JBD has looked and if they are willing to carry 8 D to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad