Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Now that it's finally settled, that Xhekaj had no hearing from the NHL, the Canadiens are behind him, and most of the fans are too, I wouldn't mind if they brought another bruiser, I don't mind Xhekaj taking charge but I don't want him to have to do it all alone, and since we can't rely on Anderson cause he can't give a f*** half the time, F.Xhekaj and Tuch are not there (and I really don't want Slafkovsky to start doing that too often), having another one in the lineup would help.

A skilled, yet physically intimidating team is what I hope for in the end. Xhekaj can definitely be part of that.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Cedric Paré is a nobody. End of story.

I didn't like the Grieg hit, but the Xhekaj hit was a terrible play, all-around. Habs had the momentum and it turned on that play. Plus it looked like a cheap shot to me. Mind you, I think Stutzle is like the biggest diver in hockey, so hard to tell. But whatever. Point is, Xhekaj keeps getting played. If you're up 2-0, lots of players on the other team will want to start something. Xhekaj doesn't pick his spots. What's he gonna do, go crazy after every borderline hit that gets made against the Habs? He'll never be on the ice. And a player in the dressing room isn't much of a deterrent.
Xhekaj hit was illegal would have prefer he stay on the ice and used is shoulder but it is still slightly less predatory than Grieg, and it is a direct result with Greig action. The intent was the probably the same both late, high but Stuzle isn’t tangled up with another played he isn’t charging him, they are crisscrossing the only player he has to worry about was Xhekaj… there is no contact to the head, regardless of the optics since Stuzle does a back flip ( don’t think he embellished but that impact was less violent than Dach because of the angle of the hit) you can’t penalize or suspend a player for something that didn’t. They were worn multiple time to answer the bell or they would be consequences… I think Xhekaj pick is spot perfectly since he should not even have got the 5minute in the 1st place… the win isn’t as important as the message that is being sent, stop running our guys.

We have seen 5-6 dirty play vs. Habs player in preseason we can’t continue going a that rate.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Now that it's finally settled, that Xhekaj had no hearing from the NHL, the Canadiens are behind him, and most of the fans are too, I wouldn't mind if they brought another bruiser, I don't mind Xhekaj taking charge but I don't want him to have to do it all alone, and since we can't rely on Anderson cause he can't give a f*** half the time, F.Xhekaj and Tuch are not there (and I really don't want Slafkovsky to start doing that too often), having another one in the lineup would help.

A skilled, yet physically intimidating team is what I hope for in the end. Xhekaj can definitely be part of that.
Half the time? That's a lot of f***s. I haven't seen him give any last season or so far this preseason.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Brady Tkachuk 😭

• Wow

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
The wallflowers on here want the Habs to turn the other cheek. Players have been policing the game since its inception.

What they enjoy losing a top player for months to some worthless scrub taking a cheap shot.

Good for Wifi, he did an awesome job in both cases.
Can't wait for "hopefully" a truculent 4th line of Tuch - F.Xhekaj - Thorpe and a bottom pairing of A.Xhekaj - Struble in the playoffs :naughty:. I already have the nicknames ready:

Lucky Luke, The Deputy, Thorpedo, The Sheriff, Ares, either that or nickname that 4th line T.X.T. and make it sound like a WWE team :laugh:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Xhekaj hit was illegal would have prefer he stay on the ice and used is shoulder but it is still slightly less predatory than Grieg, and it is a direct result with Greig action. The intent was the probably the same both late, high but Stuzle isn’t tangled up with another played he isn’t charging him, they are crisscrossing the only player he has to worry about was Xhekaj… there is no contact to the head, regardless of the optics since Stuzle does a back flip ( don’t think he embellished but that impact was less violent than Dach because of the angle of the hit) you can’t penalize or suspend a player for something that didn’t. They were worn multiple time to answer the bell or they would be consequences… I think Xhekaj pick is spot perfectly since he should not even have got the 5minute in the 1st place… the win isn’t as important as the message that is being sent, stop running our guys.

We have seen 5-6 dirty play vs. Habs player in preseason we can’t continue going a that rate.

Saw it exactly the same way.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

If you want a physically intimidating team then a bruiser or two or even three doesn't work, you need it to be something the whole team buys into. So even though we don't want to see Dach and Slaf fight, it's not a bad thing that they get the experience and send the message that they can take care of themselves and gain the confidence to really impose themselves themselves physically. Those two playing a strong physical game provides so much more then a 5 minute a night bruiser ever can.

I also find that sometimes going out and getting that "enforcer" before you've established that culture of everybody contributes to the physical side ends up being counterproductive as the more skilled players just don't engage like they should and instead leave it to the enforcer to handle.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Xhekaj hit was illegal would have prefer he stay on the ice and used is shoulder but it is still slightly less predatory than Grieg, and it is a direct result with Greig action.

I am not going to bother weighing in on which hit was dirty and which hit was not dirty.

That being said, you absolutely can not in good faith say that Xhekaj's hit was less predatory than Greig's hit. We know for a fact that Xhekaj's hit was 100% predatory, not 99.999%.....but 100%, and that is maximum predation percentage lol. We do not know for sure what Geig was thinking but he quite literally, even with the worst intentions could not surpass Xhekaj's level of intentional predation.

Both hits were very similar in many ways but Greig could have prevented the hit on Stutzle by being a man and answering the bell.

Reactions: RC51

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
If you want a physically intimidating team then a bruiser or two or even three doesn't work, you need it to be something the whole team buys into. So even though we don't want to see Dach and Slaf fight, it's not a bad thing that they get the experience and send the message that they can take care of themselves and gain the confidence to really impose themselves themselves physically. Those two playing a strong physical game provides so much more then a 5 minute a night bruiser ever can.

I also find that sometimes going out and getting that "enforcer" before you've established that culture of everybody contributes to the physical side ends up being counterproductive as the more skilled players just don't engage like they should and instead leave it to the enforcer to handle.

Yeah, I agree that's a big hole in my rhetoric, it's just that I don't want Xhekaj doing it all alone while waiting for more to emerge, kids ain't there yet and our vets ain't reliable.

Wasn't talking about just an 'enforcer' though, just someone with some size and knows how to use it, can fight if needed and obviously can bodycheck. Just naturally aggressive, to be an 'example' to those who're coming through.

Sacrilegious, but I loved the Bruins teams from the middle of 2000s to the middle of 2010s, team toughness was definitely well-implemented.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Fifth column operators are agitating in the Montreal media and elsewhere, questioning Xhekaj's courageous and necessary retaliation. Traitors.

Despicable.

Despicable!
They litterally want Caufield and Suzuki getting their heads smashed in. Slaf to break his hand and the Bell Center giving claps of pity to Pezzeta after getting the beat down of his life again. Rinse and repeat. Traitors every single one of them.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Personally, I can't condone an "intent to injure" hit, and there's no question that Xhekaj was absolutely trying to hit Stutzle up high.

I don't condone that regardless of what sweater you are wearing and regardless of the context.

But with that being said, from what I have read and heard, multiple members of the Canadiens tried to engage Ridly Greig in a fight after the hit on Dach and he refused repeatedly.

I understand that after he refused to answer for his questionable hit, it meant that someone else was going to half to pay the price and Greig will learn a valuable lesson that his careless play puts a target on his teammates.

Then, after that, he does answer the bell and gets filled in like a job application by Dach. Tough night for Greig.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Personally, I can't condone an "intent to injure" hit, and there's no question that Xhekaj was absolutely trying to hit Stutzle up high.

I don't condone that regardless of what sweater you are wearing and regardless of the context.

But with that being said, from what I have read and heard, multiple members of the Canadiens tried to engage Ridly Greig in a fight after the hit on Dach and he refused repeatedly.

I understand that after he refused to answer for his questionable hit, it meant that someone else was going to half to pay the price and Greig will learn a valuable lesson that his careless play puts a target on his teammates.

Then, after that, he does answer the bell and gets filled in like a job application by Dach. Tough night for Greig.

Fair enough, if we want to settle scores through fights instead of dirty hits, I'm all for it, but as you said, the guy has to answer the call immediately or soon enough. If he doesn't, then he's fair game, like outlaws in the Wild Wild West, who lost civil protection.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
No place for intent to injure. It's the dirtiest play in hockey. a hit is a strong hockey play but not when its the head or a go out of you way to try to hit the head. Same for knees, the second you stick it out to hit the player it is NOT unintentional therefore intent to injure. The teams should have the right to demand a look see at any replay if an intend to injure has happened in plain view or in the back when the refs are not looking. Thats when a lot of this happens ( see dirty players) the proper penaty for intent to injure should be auto 5 and a game, the NHL looks at the play and if it IS deemed to be AN INTENTIONAL then automatic 10 games if no injure but if the hit was to prove out to put a player out for say 3-4 months or even more and all the way to ending a player carrier then THATS THE PENALTY
After all if i cause a person to be killed of a life altering injury I don't just get 10 days in jail it 10-20 years. SO in hockey if it's just a bad accident play just like in real life nobody is at fault. BUT things GO NUTS if it is an intent to injure or maim or kill. Pare is not the first ahl player to try to earn a spot this way ( is all about the BIG MONEY IN THE NHL) Years ago preseason was all about just getting back in shape , now it's about BIG MONEY and if I can hurt your team long term and stopping a team for getting points in the season so why not hurt them NOW before the season even starts.

Does anybody think if the refs would have thrown out Pare for the knee thing AX would have gone after Pare!!!! of again same for Geieg if he was thrown out AX would not need to do street justice.
Both times habs did not start it all it was toronto player and ottawa player. I don't think it was the coach that told to go forget about the game just hurt their best guys it will be good for us in the season. It's the individual player that is at FAULT.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I would have loved to see Gaston Therrien going all « team toughness » on Tiger Williams after he lands a cheap shot on his teammate. :popcorn:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I love how Sens fans know they have no answer to Xhekaj. Tkachuk can try, but he'll get killed. What is particularly hilarious is making fun of the Habs who finished 5th... While they drafted 7th trying to make the playoffs. Brutal. They even needed a Canadiens owner to turn things around.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I love how Sens fans know they have no answer to Xhekaj. Tkachuk can try, but he'll get killed. What is particularly hilarious is making fun of the Habs who finished 5th... While they drafted 7th trying to make the playoffs. Brutal. They even needed a Canadiens owner to turn things around.
We’ve been in that situation when Lucic made the Bell Center his bitch for a couple of years. There’s nothing Tkachuk can do aside from phoning his friends like Gaston Therrien to do the job for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad