RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Scoring was never an issue for him (as impressive as it is). It's the work to improve his awareness for the next levels that is the biggest obstacle.

The thing about offensive defenseman is that they usually get the inside track. They're so hard to find that teams are willing to invest copious amounts of resources to develop them. Comparing his scoring to a guy like Shayne Gostisbehere at the same age/level is pretty interesting. The sample size is very small, but a PPG defenseman at the NCAA level in his first season is incredibly rare. Especially if he's not tremendously undersized.

I mean, just compare the success rate of high drafted defensemen where people went "well, his offensive game sucks" to those who were said "well, his defensive game sucks" and see who comes out with more impressive groups. It's said about a lot of guys. Vatanen, Karlsson, Ellis, Murphy, etc. But the idea of having to protect a guy at even strength in minutes for the trade off of that production offensively is still enticing. Especially if the player learns on the job how to play better defense.

It seems backwards from how we think of forwards. Elite defense gets you to the NHL as a young player. Elite offense gets you to the NHL as a young defender it seems. Interesting dynamic.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Currently scoring at a pace (0.95 points/game) close to Mike Reilly's (1.12 points/game) while being about a year younger. If comparing to Reilly's year last year to get a better representation of age, Reilly scored at (0.80 points/game). Kind of surprising how little hype this guy gets.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Currently scoring at a pace (0.95 points/game) close to Mike Reilly's (1.12 points/game) while being about a year younger. If comparing to Reilly's year last year to get a better representation of age, Reilly scored at (0.80 points/game). Kind of surprising how little hype this guy gets.

Montour's team, UMass Amherst, is not good either. Their record this year is 11-23-2. For sake of comparison, Reilly's team, University of Minnesota, had a record of 28-7-6 last year.

Many scouts and NHL pundits regarded Montour as a boom or bust type of pick. GM Bob Murray is ****ing wizard though so I never second guessed this selection.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I find it completely bizzare he doesn't get talked about way more on here. His offensive game is unreal and I think he has potential to become one of the biggest steals from his draft. Ducks always find these stud dmen

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Saw this guy at the Ducks prospect camp, he looked like he is going to be fun to watch.

Yeah, you could tell right off the bat this summer that he's got special offensive ability. He sees the ice so well and has great tools (skating and hands). I'm more impressed by his offense than Shea Theodores

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Yeah, you could tell right off the bat this summer that he's got special offensive ability. He sees the ice so well and has great tools (skating and hands). I'm more impressed by his offense than Shea Theodores

While Shea Theodore's offensive prowess may not be quite as dynamic as Montour's, his defensive side of the game is underrated. IMO, Theodore has more of a well-rounded game.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

His team also sucks and he is much bigger then Reilly.

He looked amazing in Anaheim last Sumer. I'm really pumped to see what he can do in a couple years.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I find it completely bizzare he doesn't get talked about way more on here. His offensive game is unreal and I think he has potential to become one of the biggest steals from his draft. Ducks always find these stud dmen

He's an Anaheim prospect which means hes over rated, and will never be discussed outside of Anaheim fans:sarcasm:

In all seriousness this guy has some talent, I would love to see him in San Diego. What are the chances we sign him after his freshman season?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's an Anaheim prospect which means hes over rated, and will never be discussed outside of Anaheim fans:sarcasm:

In all seriousness this guy has some talent, I would love to see him in San Diego. What are the chances we sign him after his freshman season?

Ya I would imagine he will play a full NCAA season next year and then sign. His year was screwed up this season having to play half a season in USHL and then half in NCAA. Anaheim would love to see what he can do in a full season in NCAA next year. There is no need to sign him to a contract now and have him play in the AHL just cause Anaheim is filled with Dman youth. He has potential to lead the nation in Dman scoring next year in NCAA

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I'd like one more year in college at least. He is still only 21 and we are not exactly dying for youth on our blueline...

Fowler: 23
Lindholm: 21
Vatanen: 23
Depres: 23
Manson: 23

Let him get a year to dominate NCAA and then get him in the AHL.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Man I wish the Oilers had the Ducks scouting and development. ANA just keeps pumping out quality prospects year after year

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Man I wish the Oilers had the Ducks scouting and development. ANA just keeps pumping out quality prospects year after year

The subject of this comment is probably deserving of its own thread but Anaheim's commitment to drafting in the first round likely has something to do with their ability to retain some of the best scouts in the NHL. Since 2000, the Ducks have drafted 18 times in the first round.

Think about it. If you're an NHL scout, would you rather work for an organization that places a premium on high draft picks or one that values draft picks for their worth in trades? No insult to the Rangers, but it doesn't surprise me that they aren't known for their drafting due simply to the fact that since 2000 they've only drafted 12 times in the first round. Sure, 12 is still a good amount but it pales in comparison to Anaheim's 18 over the same, 14 year period.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Huge fan of this kid and the way he adapts to every level change he has faced so far. It's an underrated aspect of a player. If you can elevate your game to the level of the talent you're facing at every stop, you're going to be a good one. He has taken two considerable jumps in consecutive years and done phenomenal.

He's an older Freshman, but regardless the production is eye popping. I wish he had a full season in the NCAA to establish himself. I think he'll spend one more year in the NCAA and then move up. UMass isn't exactly known for their pipeline. It would be wise to get him into the system as soon as possible. If he needs a couple of AHL years to round his defensive game, so be it.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Ya it's at the point where Ducks fans just collectively shrug and say "in Madden we trust" every time they draft off the board. I don't know if he is the reason why our drafting has been so great but it started the year he got the job as head scout.

WOW, I'm very surprised. Time to see what he can really do.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Better off getting him signed right away so there isn't any temptation by him to possibly wait it out and eventually become a UFA.

IMO, he has potential to lead NCAA in dman scoring next season and then all of a sudden he becomes a hot commodity in the hockey world and his stock rises. Anaheim has an extremely youthful group of Dmen in the NHL and also real good prospects, so who knows, maybe they would be scared that Montour may get discouraged at the fact that his road to NHL may take a while.

Get him under contract NOW, so then Ducks have control when and where he plays. Plus when he is under contract, it makes him more intriguing in any future potential big trades. Gives Anaheim a lot of real good options.....

Oh and Montour and Theodore on the PP next year in Norfolk will be DEADLY

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Better off getting him signed right away so there isn't any temptation by him to possibly wait it out and eventually become a UFA.

IMO, he has potential to lead NCAA in dman scoring next season and then all of a sudden he becomes a hot commodity in the hockey world and his stock rises. Anaheim has an extremely youthful group of Dmen in the NHL and also real good prospects, so who knows, maybe they would be scared that Montour may get discouraged at the fact that his road to NHL may take a while.

Get him under contract NOW, so then Ducks have control when and where he plays. Plus when he is under contract, it makes him more intriguing in any future potential big trades. Gives Anaheim a lot of real good options.....

Oh and Montour and Theodore on the PP next year in Norfolk will be DEADLY

San Diego...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad