RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024 Draft)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I can understand all the criticisms but this one.
Why? Not every big defenseman with the ability to skate is gonna become a franchise defenseman. His other tools and qualities are average to good but not elite. As I said, he's outclassed in every area even by fellow defense prospects in his own draft year. Why do you think he, of all people, will be a franchise defenseman in the NHL? That's extremely unlikely. Especially his vision and hockey IQ are concerns. His decision making is more than questionable.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The problem with Levshunov is that everything about him is average. Very smooth skating for a big guy but that's about the only thing that excites me. Jack Johnson was pretty tough in his prime. Levshunov isn't exactly soft but also not very tough and certainly not intense. I doubt he's gonna be a volume hitter or regular physical force in the NHL the way Yakemchuk or Silayev are gonna be...or the way Jack Johnson was. So what is Levshunov gonna be? Is he gonna drive play? No, not dynamic enough and he doesn't have the vision either. His decision making is more than questionable and very much a work in progress. His shot isn't bad but it's nothing compared to Yakemchuk's.

Levshunov is gonna play top4 in the NHL but I see nothing that would suggest he's gonna be anything more than that. In every area Levshunov is clearly outclassed by other defensemen available in the 2024 draft. Maybe in a different year I'd be more excited about the player but in this year he's just average. So is Dickinson but he seems to have more drive, better vision/hockey IQ, better hands as well. So if I want a more safe and solid prospect I go Dickinson over Levshunov. If I want a tough defenseman I go Yakemchuk or Silayev. If I want a player with elite offensive upside I go Yakemchuk, Parekh or Buium.

So as I said...I don't know what Levshunov is or wants to be. Certainly not a 2nd overall in my book. Levshunov is basically David Reinbacher just with significantly worse vision/hockey IQ, probably worse hands as well. And people were complaining about Reinbacher getting picked 5th. Levshunov would not enjoy his life facing the expectations after getting picked 2nd. You pick 2nd overall you want a franchise defenseman. Levshunov is a solid prospect but chances of him becoming a franchise defenseman in the NHL are trending towards zero.
Sounds like you're describing Heiskanen in his draft year.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Lev becomes Werenski, then yes you don't mind taking that player at #2.

And I see the resemblance superficially, both players with wide 6'2 frames who can take a few big strides and fly through the neutral zone. Both are rovers who can quickly create an odd man situation.

Neither player is particularly good from a static, PPQB like position. They don't have quick feet to open up shot lanes from a standstill.

Werenski is one of the highest scoring 5v5 D because he cuts into open ice and creates a lot of odd man opportunities. He makes a good pass and has an incredible wrist shot. Lev will create odd-mans but Lev's shot doesn't seem elite in any way? And his passing is erratic, wildly off the mark much of the time.

I see his handling and passing as poor at times. In this clip, meant to show off some of the best of Levshunov, you can see some elite skating and a nice pass at the end. But in between there are three puck plays that are likely turnovers in the NHL. The first is a shovel pass up the boards, then later in quick succession two instances where NHLers would easily take the puck away for a transition chance.

I watched whole games where I thought the majority of his passes were off the mark.

So for me that's not Werenski, that's closer to a young Jack Johnson. An incredible athlete roving around the ice, but the passing and positioning are so erratic that it ultimately doesn't help his teammates as much as you'd like.

Did you watch Silayev in the MHL playoffs tomd?

It's free on youtube.

I think the "it's the KHL" argument has maybe blinded people to how limited Silayev actually is. Against his age group there's no pretension that this is a player with any offensive upside.

Agreed that we're not getting 5 or 6 All Star D out of this draft.

But I don't think the top 10 of the draft is for acquiring mid level NHLers. Teams are looking for top pair D. Myers, Shattenkirk, and Hanifin are not what you want. Werenski would be, but as I say above, that's Lev's ceiling not his floor, and I think not where he likely ends up.

I disagree on what we should expect from top 10 d. Handifin and Myers were both picked there and shatty just after. All played in top 4 for most of a decade and top pair at various times. I would happily take any of their careers if I was picking outside top 5, maybe but higher. Werenski I would likely take at 2.

And I agree that lots of chances for these guys to end up much less, whether jack Johnson or Barrie or whatever. Which is why I think we need to take the win if you get hanifin or Myers or Shatty in top 10.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sounds like you're describing Heiskanen in his draft year.
The exact opposite is the case. Miro Heiskanen always had elite vision. That literally has always been the most exciting thing about him. He's also way more dynamic than Levshunov is ever gonna be.

I don't know which Heiskanen you watched.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I disagree on what we should expect from top 10 d. Handifin and Myers were both picked there and shatty just after. All played in top 4 for most of a decade and top pair at various times. I would happily take any of their careers if I was picking outside top 5, maybe but higher. Werenski I would likely take at 2.

And I agree that lots of chances for these guys to end up much less, whether jack Johnson or Barrie or whatever. Which is why I think we need to take the win if you get hanifin or Myers or Shatty in top 10.

What we should expect and what we draft for are two different things.

Here's an extreme example - if you're panning for gold, you can expect to maybe get $20 worth of gold dust on a median day. But that's not why you pan for gold, you pan for gold to find a nugget of gold.

So yeah, the guy you draft at like #7 will probably have no better than a Shattenkirk or Tyler Myers type of career, but if you knew that beforehand, you wouldn't draft him, you'd try your luck with someone else.

Reactions: Realgud

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why? Not every big defenseman with the ability to skate is gonna become a franchise defenseman. His other tools and qualities are average to good but not elite. As I said, he's outclassed in every area even by fellow defense prospects in his own draft year. Why do you think he, of all people, will be a franchise defenseman in the NHL? That's extremely unlikely. Especially his vision and hockey IQ are concerns. His decision making is more than questionable.
He’s “average”, and his vision and IQ are “concerns”, meanwhile his production in the NCAA in his draft year outclasses guys like Makar, Quinn Hughes, Power, and Seamus Casey when they were his age or a year older. Pretty good for an average Dman with questionable vision and IQ. Those other guys must be bums; what was their excuse?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’s “average”, and his vision and IQ are “concerns”, meanwhile his production in the NCAA in his draft year outclasses guys like Makar, Quinn Hughes, Power, and Seamus Casey when they were his age or a year older. Pretty good for an average Dman with questionable vision and IQ. Those other guys must be bums; what was their excuse?

You shouldn't compare scoring without being aware of the all important context. Otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not big into scoring stats anyway. Development is never linear so I'm more interested in evaluating the tools the pospects have or how well their game is gonna translate to the NHL.

If I asked you, would you honestly tell me that you're a fan of Levshunov's vision and hockey IQ? Or which area of his game you think is elite and will allow him to become a franchise defenseman?

Last edited:
Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You shouldn't compare scoring without being aware of the all important context. Otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not big into scoring stats anyway. Development is never linear so I'm more interested in evaluating the tools the pospects have or how well their game is gonna translate to the NHL.

If I asked you, would you honestly tell me that you're a fan of Levshunov's vision and hockey IQ. Which area of his game you think is elite and will allow him to become a franchise defenseman?
I knew you’d respond with this unoriginal argument, and it’s BS. Tell me, what special advantage did Levshunov have that allowed him to score at an unprecedented rate (2nd only to Buium) for a D his age in the NCAA (all time) that all the others didn’t, if it wasn’t his IQ and vision? I’d be interested to hear it. Like it or not, scoring and stats are a huge part of the scouting process. They are tangible results, on which we can compare players. It isn’t “apples to oranges” at all, because I only compared him to players of the same age, the same position, in the same league. He outclasses literally everyone at the same age except his fellow 2024 top prospect, Zeev Buium. Try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHFAN92

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I like the werenski comparison to be honest but why do you think he is more of a see what you get prospect? Going from Belarus 2 years ago to almost ppg in the NCAA as a Dman in his draft year is an insane upward curve.
Honestly, it's a gut call. I don't like the awkwardness I see, and he's physically mature, and strikes me as a mostly finished product. I don't see a "rawness" in his skills or anything that "wows" me that gives me a glimpse of him evolving into an elite NHL player.

I think teams are too quick to hitch their wagons to a safe, stocky, reliable defenseman with a high floor. And if he shoots right, even more of a lock.

As for the Werenski/Ekblad comps, they were "best case" for me. To be completely honest, I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up more like Ivan Provorov when it's all said and done.

Now, sure, let's say he's a blend of Werenski/Ekblad/Provorov and is a reliable D who scores around 50 points a year... that's a good piece to add. But, not at 2nd overall imo, when there's an offensive dynamo like Demidov sitting there... or some other defensemen with massive ceilings.

Passing on Demidov for him wouldn't be as bad as the Habs passing on Michkov for Reinbacher, but when you consider it's the 2nd overall pick, ouch. I just see nothing in his game that blows me away... and at the collegiate level, he should do some things that are simply jaw-dropping. He's just very "rock solid" to me.

Someone else mentioned "overrating Buium" and I can't disagree more. I watch that kid play and he wows me endlessly. His skating, hockey IQ, processor, playmaking, and polish are remarkable. And you can tell he is blessed with a toolkit that can help him grow a couple more levels in the NHL. He's the exact type of defenseman who is thriving in the NHL today, and teams need to generate offensive and possession from the back-end.

If I want to opt for a defensive juggernaut, I'd easily go Silayev or Dickenson over Lev. They project to be elite to high-end in that department. Levshunov is just rock solid and safe in every aspect without being exceptional in any way. Just my two cents.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not sure why he's developed such a negative reputation on HFBoards, but it seems pretty constrained to HFBoards.
I don't think he has a negative rep. I think fans on this board study and watch more hockey than the average fan who pops on Reddit or X.

I also think some in the hockey world with authority have pushed the narrative that "the Hawks will take Levshunov over Demidov" so on the surface some fans just assume Lev is going to be an elite NHLer based on that narrative. I get it... it happens often. Even when fans were begging the Flyers to not draft Nolan Patrick 2nd overall... but the "narrative" was that it was a two-player draft, headlined by Nico and Nolan.

Throw the stats and narratives out the window... when I watch this kid play he simply doesn't wow me. I have zero reason to dislike him or love him... just offering an unbiased evaluation. I don't see him do anything special, just safe, good, meat and potatoes. And if I'm a team that is blessed to have a Ferrari like Bedard as my franchise piece for 12+ years... I definitely don't opt for a "safe pick" at 2nd overall... I swing for the fences and surround him with as much talent as possible. And there's zero chance anyone can convince me Levshunov is the 2nd most talented player in the draft lol. I don't even think he's in the top-5 D in terms of talent.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Lev has an elite stride, he can stand near the net and cover a lot of ground in one motion. Same goes for straight line speed, obviously. He doesn't cut through corners like an elite skater though, moves like a battleship.

But it's not "low IQ" per se to point out that his game is a very simple one at this point. He's all leg and has the stature to execute well in the NCAA. He rarely fools anyone yet hard to stop. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just that he needs that separation in the NHL to be great there as well.

I think his playmaking is sub par and his ability fool anyone else on the ice is as well. He's still great at fundamentals and that's what has carried him so far.

You can see why he is liked by NHL brass, but, eh, his play right now doesn't leave me feeling like he's trying to hit another level of dominance. You just don't know, sometimes a guy with a simple but strong game steps in the NHL and it carries right over.....Sometimes? It takes so many years to develop into a top player they're traded or free agents before they come of age.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Throw the stats and narratives out the window... when I watch this kid play he simply doesn't wow me. I have zero reason to dislike him or love him... just offering an unbiased evaluation. I don't see him do anything special, just safe, good, meat and potatoes. And if I'm a team that is blessed to have a Ferrari like Bedard as my franchise piece for 12+ years... I definitely don't opt for a "safe pick" at 2nd overall... I swing for the fences and surround him with as much talent as possible. And there's zero chance anyone can convince me Levshunov is the 2nd most talented player in the draft lol. I don't even think he's in the top-5 D in terms of talent.

This. I'm hoping Davidson sees it that way too.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think he has a negative rep. I think fans on this board study and watch more hockey than the average fan who pops on Reddit or X.

I also think some in the hockey world with authority have pushed the narrative that "the Hawks will take Levshunov over Demidov" so on the surface some fans just assume Lev is going to be an elite NHLer based on that narrative.
Meant amongst scouts not twitter fans

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Meant amongst scouts not twitter fans
Well, imho, too many scouts are in CYA mode. Most scouts and GMs love the "safe bet" because it helps preserve their own jobs and reputations. Levshunov checks every safety label for scouts...

- Good size
- Good build
- Steady
- Reliable
- Well-rounded
- High-floor and low-risk to completely bust
- Right shot

The way the business is these days, scouts would rather "go on the record" pushing a player who has a productive, long, NHL career as a Top-4 reliable defenseman (like Jack Johnson or Ron Hainsey) than a more skilled, yet riskier player who could end up the next Erik Karlsson or Adam Fox because if they "don't pan out" you could end up with a David Rundblad or Ryan Murphy.

The difference is, this isn't the 1980s. In many cases, elite talent is talent. PK Subban, Shayne Gostisbehere, Erik Karlsson, Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Lane Hutson. All of these kids were knocked for their size, development program, risky play, etc. Yet, all of them were blessed with elite talent that was overlooked because of potential risks. Only secure teams, GMs, and scouts will put their heads on the chopping block for a highly-skilled defenseman that doesn't play it safe... or they draft for "immediate need" (aka... "We lack a steady, good-sized, RH defenseman in our system so let's choose them over more talented players...")

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What we should expect and what we draft for are two different things.

Here's an extreme example - if you're panning for gold, you can expect to maybe get $20 worth of gold dust on a median day. But that's not why you pan for gold, you pan for gold to find a nugget of gold.

So yeah, the guy you draft at like #7 will probably have no better than a Shattenkirk or Tyler Myers type of career, but if you knew that beforehand, you wouldn't draft him, you'd try your luck with someone else.
I don't believe that is a fair characterization of what I posted. If you knew that (barring injury derailing it) your #7 is going to be no worse than shatty or myers, yeah that I would take. No better than with no guarantees? Obviously I wouldn't want that at 7.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Well, imho, too many scouts are in CYA mode. Most scouts and GMs love the "safe bet" because it helps preserve their own jobs and reputations. Levshunov checks every safety label for scouts...

- Good size
- Good build
- Steady
- Reliable
- Well-rounded
- High-floor and low-risk to completely bust
- Right shot

The way the business is these days, scouts would rather "go on the record" pushing a player who has a productive, long, NHL career as a Top-4 reliable defenseman (like Jack Johnson or Ron Hainsey) than a more skilled, yet riskier player who could end up the next Erik Karlsson or Adam Fox because if they "don't pan out" you could end up with a David Rundblad or Ryan Murphy.

The difference is, this isn't the 1980s. In many cases, elite talent is talent. PK Subban, Shayne Gostisbehere, Erik Karlsson, Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Lane Hutson. All of these kids were knocked for their size, development program, risky play, etc. Yet, all of them were blessed with elite talent that was overlooked because of potential risks. Only secure teams, GMs, and scouts will put their heads on the chopping block for a highly-skilled defenseman that doesn't play it safe... or they draft for "immediate need" (aka... "We lack a steady, good-sized, RH defenseman in our system so let's choose them over more talented players...")
Sure or you could get a brannstrom, Boqvist, Merkley, Ty Smith, Lundkvist,etc etc etc.

Highly skilled D-man.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Here's all my Levshunov vids and since Silayev was brought up I put his vids in too. These are full games that I watched and just edited out everything when they aren't on the ice, I usually edit out if they are just standing out not doing anything either to keep the length of the vid down.

Levshunov

Silayev

All those Levshunov games are from October. I see 1 December at the latest. Isn't the consensus of Scouts that he significantly improved defensively over the season and brought more physicality? Especially notable how he's jumped levels in quite a short time, it's notable. Idk if 3 games from the start of the year are a good showcase.

Saw some actual physicality in that GN game clip there though

Reactions: montreal

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Nah, he's basically above average everywhere.

Not sure why he's developed such a negative reputation on HFBoards, but it seems pretty constrained to HFBoards.

This happens every year. People get galaxy brain over this stuff.

This kid was nearly a PPG as a freshman, is two years removed from playing hockey in Belarus and basically has every physical attribute you could want.

The decision making will improve with experience in NA.

Levshunovs a stud. I’ll be excited as hell if he’s a Blackhawk.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be this confident and to be this inaccurate is a special talent.

This happens every year. People get galaxy brain over this stuff.

This kid was nearly a PPG as a freshman, is two years removed from playing hockey in Belarus and basically has every physical attribute you could want.

The decision making will improve with experience in NA.

Levshunovs a stud. I’ll be excited as hell if he’s a Blackhawk.
He also tilted the ice in a way you rarely see in hockey while being the youngest player on his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad