RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024, 2nd, CHI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's baked into the equation with Levshunov. He's more physically developed than others. You knew that coming into the draft. Evan Bouchard had a full beard and looked like he was about 35 when he was at the combine and doing these interviews. People said he was too physically mature to go that high. His thread was flooded with people who thought there was something wrong with him because of how physically mature he was.

Some of these players are good at hockey and don't need a lot more physical maturity to end up good NHL'ers.

And the fact that he's balding doesn't make him more physically developed than others. It probably means he's close to physical maturity, but a player with a full head of hair could also be close to physical maturity.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen Levshunov when he hasn't shaven in a while and there's maybe fifteen hairs on his face. Aside from the hairline he could pass for 16 years old. A lot of folks have never seen someone lose their hair early before, apparently.

You'd think @LeProspector would want another Andrei Markov, who also had thinning hair at 18.

Edit: the more substantive response to your post is that Levshunov doesn't need to get bigger or stronger or faster, his body looks machine built to be a top defensemen. It's the processor that needs work.

Last edited:
Reactions: coooldude

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
looks like he's 40 already. that rises a question about how much room to grow as a player he has. anyway, it seems chicago is all over him and really like him. things will get interesting after the first two picks.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
looks like he's 40 already. that rises a question about how much room to grow as a player he has. anyway, it seems chicago is all over him and really like him. things will get interesting after the first two picks.
Would you prefer drafting a toddler that looks like a teenager in his 30s like RNH? I wasn't aware that appearance affected how players develop.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think when you draft someone that developed he has a huge advantage over everyone he plays against. and he will not get any bigger more then likely so how much room will he have to grow as a player. it just lessons the projection IMO

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think when you draft someone that developed he has a huge advantage over everyone he plays against. and he will not get any bigger more then likely so how much room will he have to grow as a player. it just lessons the projection IMO
I mean he's certainly not just excelling in the NCAA, in a top conference, by only outmuscling a bunch of 22, 23- and 24-year-olds.

There will be of course a step up from the NCAA, where some guys are getting business degrees, to the pros...but I think there is kind of this notion seeping in here with Levshunov and some of these other guys of like "oh damn...I wish you could've done all you have shown this past year while being a 5'-9" skinny guy...then I'd really love you as a prospect!"

The fixation on a dude being a naturally ridiculous and built athlete at age 18 as if this is a bad thing or caps their potential is a little weird to me. HFB has come full-circle...either we fixate on whether you are 5'-9.5" or 5'-10" and how that will impact you at the next level or we claim you are too athletic and strong already. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My (actual) concern would be if he's the age he claims he is. But I assume that checks out.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
My (actual) concern would be if he's the age he claims he is. But I assume that checks out.
Age Fraud used to be rampant with African Football players (and some other places) before testing was introduced, but it's never been a thing with ex Soviet-bloc hockey players. Belarus is a high-developed country. There's about as much concern of him playing on a fraudulent birth certificate as Macklin Celebrini.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I've seen Levshunov when he hasn't shaven in a while and there's maybe fifteen hairs on his face. Aside from the hairline he could pass for 16 years old. A lot of folks have never seen someone lose their hair early before, apparently.

You'd think @LeProspector would want another Andrei Markov, who also had thinning hair at 18.

Edit: the more substantive response to your post is that Levshunov doesn't need to get bigger or stronger or faster, his body looks machine built to be a top defensemen. It's the processor that needs work.
Not sure about Markov, but he really reminds me of young Sergei Zubov, both face and hair lol.

• Haha
Reactions: slumpy43

GiGi1994

Apr 28, 2020
I see a lot of McAvoy in this guy.
McAvoy might have better hands but overall I think it's a fair comp. Jumps into offensive plays, carry the puck on zone exits, doesn't shy away from physical plays and even takes bad penalty off frustration juste like McAvoy. If he goes to the right team (ex. Chicago) I think there's legitimate chance we see him in the NHL in 25-26.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I can't believe people are serious about this hairline analysis, lol. For what it's worth, if you just look at his face, he looks like a kid.
It shows that they've never had to work a customer service job where IDing people is a thing. There's more than one thing to look for when judging someone's age. Not that this is at all relevant to him as a hockey player either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad