Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
This is pure speculation, but what if whatever happened with the Walman in the locker room and his trade left a bad taste in Mo and Raymond’s mouth and that’s causing some hesitation and the delay?
"I'm gonna celly like this, then Mo and Ray will hug me."

swall.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is pure speculation, but what if whatever happened with the Walman in the locker room and his trade left a bad taste in Mo and Raymond’s mouth and that’s causing some hesitation and the delay?

Doubt it. Rumours are Walman alienated himself from some of the lockerroom, while Larkin was out with injury which likely means at least some of them were glad to see him gone.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pay them more to change their mind. Odds are it would have still been less than what they are commanding now this fall with:
1. Ray's significant step up and
2. All the other D that have extended for big money out of their ELCs, none of whom are better than Mo.
So if you offer them both 8*8.5 last summer and they say "we have no interest in signing early" you just pay them more until they change their minds?

Or do you have a source on them being willing to accept less?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So if you offer them both 8*8.5 last summer and they say "we have no interest in signing early" you just pay them more until they change their minds?

Or do you have a source on them being willing to accept less?
Same source as the "they didn't want to sign early."

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Same source as the "they didn't want to sign early."
I'm not presenting that as fact though, it's just pushing back on the idea that signing them early and cheap was a real option that Yzerman just decided to not use.

Also, the fact that they're not signed yet is reasonably solid evidence that these players have not been banging the table to get signed as early as possible.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond would have been dirt cheap after his weak sophomore jinx season.

But it's very risky business to sign long-term after that kind of 57-point season.

Think it would have meant a bridge, for sure.

And what comes to Seider, they did put him suffer on purpose. Signing Gostisbehere in front of him to eat PP points and putting him under crazy qualcomp usage. both did affect on his numbers. Also using 7 defenceman, did drop Seider's and everybodys average ice-time, which is one factor for salary comparisons in negotiations.

We know there's a better than 42-point defencman in Seider, put they did put him look as bad as possible, in a contract year. Whatever he will sign, it will be a steal.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What if the players want to wait with signing? Just force them?
Do they get their signing bonus once they sign a new contract? Like if they did sign last summer, would they have received their signing bonuses on those new contracts? That's one reason I can see players signing new deals sooner off an ELC contract. I know they'll get signed, I just don't know if we'll be paying a premium due to other similar and worse players signing large deals. That's my only gripe.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Do they get their signing bonus once they sign a new contract? Like if they did sign last summer, would they have received their signing bonuses on those new contracts? That's one reason I can see players signing new deals sooner off an ELC contract. I know they'll get signed, I just don't know if we'll be paying a premium due to other similar and worse players signing large deals. That's my only gripe.

I think they'll get the signing bonus on day 1, if the deal is signed after july 1st.

If the new contract signed before july 1st, the bonus is paid on july 1st, which is the new contract starting day.

Both Seider and Raymond have now delayed their (possible) signing bonuses for ~50 days.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What if the players want to wait with signing? Just force them?
I could've seen Seider doing that, not sure about Raymond.

But if some of these other stars like Jack Hughes didn't wait then not sure how DET's guys would have. It's possible, though.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I could've seen Seider doing that, not sure about Raymond.

But if some of these other stars like Luke Hughes didn't wait then not sure how DET's guys would have. It's possible, though.
Amazingly, Mo Seider and Lucas Raymond aren't the same guy as Luke Hughes.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Honestly, man, Raymond and Seider aren't getting more than Makar's 6x9. They're likely not getting much less if any that guys like Sanderson and Faber getting 8 and 8.5 or Stutzle in the mid 8s.

Complain about how long it's taking if you like, but the salary brackets for RFAs of that level are pretty much set.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's also interesting, that another RFA Seth Jarvis hasn't signed with Carolina, who is very close comparable from same draft class to Raymond. In both ways. Is Jarvis waiting for Raymond and Raymond waiting for Jarvis?

There really isn't comparable for Seider to wait for. Except RFA Thomas Harley from Dallas.

But Dallas has no cap space (only 4.6M) to sign Harley long-term, so this should be non-comparable....

But but but, if Seider isn't wanting shorter term... like Harley.

1724160974023.png

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Amazingly, Mo Seider and Lucas Raymond aren't the same guy as Luke Hughes.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Honestly, man, Raymond and Seider aren't getting more than Makar's 6x9. They're likely not getting much less if any that guys like Sanderson and Faber getting 8 and 8.5 or Stutzle in the mid 8s.

Complain about how long it's taking if you like, but the salary brackets for RFAs of that level are pretty much set.
My bad, meant Jack.

I'm not complaining. I'm discussing. Last I checked that's what message boards are for.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
My bad, meant Jack.

I'm not complaining. I'm discussing. Last I checked that's what message boards are for.

The complaining comment was more addressed at the royal you than the specific you.

Fans: Sorry we're late, could you sign the contract now?
LR and MS: The answer is... no.
Fans: I'm afraid I must insist... You see, HFboards has been most vocal on the subject of the long term contract. "Contract, where is the contract? when are you going to sign the contract? Why aren't your signing the contract now? and so on. So please... the contract".

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not presenting that as fact though, it's just pushing back on the idea that signing them early and cheap was a real option that Yzerman just decided to not use.

Also, the fact that they're not signed yet is reasonably solid evidence that these players have not been banging the table to get signed as early as possible.
Mo was talking about 8 year extensions to media early last season. If he wasn't open to it, he wouldn't bring it up.

It is also equally solid evidence that Yzerman doesn't want them signed yet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mo was talking about 8 year extensions to media early last season. If he wasn't open to it, he wouldn't bring it up.

It is also equally solid evidence that Yzerman doesn't want them signed yet.

If I build a scenario about this:

- 164 games, 12+80=92 points, -20, (0.56 points/game) 23:06min TOI/game.

Claude Lemieux:
"Mo is ready for a 8-year deal, already after 2 pretty decent years."

Yzerman:
"Well see after the 3rd year"... (signs Ghost, creates the qualcomp wear plan with Lalonde) "let's see how good you are".

Seider 3rd season:
- 82 games, 9+33=42 points, -7 (0.51 points/game) 22:22min TOI/game.

Yzerman negoatiting with Claude the Turtle:
"It seems your representative regressed a bit. I would go with the 8-year, but cutting the salary a bit, right?"

C.Lemieux informing Seider...

Seider:
- Hmmm.... (thinking for a bridge).

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
If I build a scenario about this:

- 164 games, 12+80=92 points, -20, (0.56 points/game) 23:06min TOI/game.

Claude Lemieux:
"Mo is ready for a 8-year deal, already after 2 pretty decent years."

Yzerman:
"Well see after the 3rd year"... (signs Ghost, creates the qualcomp wear plan with Lalonde) "let's see how good you are".

Seider 3rd season:
- 82 games, 9+33=42 points, -7 (0.51 points/game) 22:22min TOI/game.

Yzerman negoatiting with Claude the Turtle:
"It seems your representative regressed a bit. I would go with the 8-year, but cutting the salary a bit, right?"

C.Lemieux informing Seider...

Seider:
- Hmmm.... (thinking for a bridge).
Yzerman ain't doing that, my guy.

Yzerman was a player too. He knows that if it is clear he monkeyed with Seider's deployment to soften the hit that it would spread like wildfire and he'd lose all credibility.

And I mean... really, I'm not seeing where this decline is at. That difference that you just put is literally 4 points while being 13 +/- better in half a minute less per game.

That's normal variance in production, not actively holding a guy back. Honestly, I'd probably pay a hypothetical D with 82 game 9 and 33 with a -7 in 22.5 minutes a night a shade more than I'd pay a hypothetical D with an average 6 and 40 with a -20 in 23 minutes a night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman ain't doing that, my guy.

Yzerman was a player too. He knows that if it is clear he monkeyed with Seider's deployment to soften the hit that it would spread like wildfire and he'd lose all credibility.

And I mean... really, I'm not seeing where this decline is at. That difference that you just put is literally 4 points while being 13 +/- better in half a minute less per game.

That's normal variance in production, not actively holding a guy back. Honestly, I'd probably pay a hypothetical D with 82 game 9 and 33 with a -7 in 22.5 minutes a night a shade more than I'd pay a hypothetical D with an average 6 and 40 with a -20 in 23 minutes a night.

Regularry the theoretical development should be everything going up. Mostly the ice-time and production for a defenceman.

Think Seider would have got more a year ago. Raymond is the opposite.

Like if Sanderson is the comparable, he was 0.42 ppg player 1 year ago, when signing 8-year. Seider was 0.56, almost "superior" versus him. Seider TOI was also over minute more than Sanderson's.

Then they completed 0.48 ppg (Sanderson) and 0.51 ppg (Seider) seasons. They are much closer now in comparison. Sanderson also had higher TOI/GP than Seider at 2023-24. Numbers won't lie, you don't even have to negotiate at the negotiations, because the numbers will make the case.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Regularry the theoretical development should be everything going up. Mostly the ice-time and production for a defenceman.

Think Seider would have got more a year ago
. Raymond is the opposite.

Like if Sanderson is the comparable, he was 0.42 ppg player 1 year ago, when signing 8-year. Seider was 0.56, almost "superior" versus him. Seider TOI was also over minute more than Sanderson's.

Then they completed 0.48 ppg (Sanderson) and 0.51 ppg (Seider) seasons. They are much closer now in comparison. Sanderson also had higher TOI/GP than Seider at 2023-24. Numbers won't lie, you don't even have to negotiate at the negotiations, because the numbers will make the case.
That is bafflingly silly to believe.

Not to mention, everyone involved knows Mo's deployment. It's not some secret that he had among the highest QoC this past season since the stat started being tracked. So it's not as if you get some random person off the street that doesn't know his ass from his elbow with regards to NHL defensemen and their deployment and they decide the contract value. This isn't an arbitration case.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

Think Seider would have got more a year ago. Raymond is the opposite.

Right, and I'm saying that Seider has pretty much been the same guy for three years... largely due to the shifting sands of D pairings around him.

Mostly, I was just saying that Yzerman isn't going to instruct Lalonde to limit Mo's opportunities nor Lalonde limit his opportunities of his own volition for a contract.

And that's what I'm saying too. Particularly with Seider... He's not getting Makar RFA money 6x9. He's not going below Sanderson's 8. So there isn't much risk in staring contest over that last million.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Could Mo and Ray get offers from other teams?
If so Yzerman have to match it

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Right, and I'm saying that Seider has pretty much been the same guy for three years... largely due to the shifting sands of D pairings around him.

Mostly, I was just saying that Yzerman isn't going to instruct Lalonde to limit Mo's opportunities nor Lalonde limit his opportunities of his own volition for a contract.

And that's what I'm saying too. Particularly with Seider... He's not getting Makar RFA money 6x9. He's not going below Sanderson's 8. So there isn't much risk in staring contest over that last million.
At 8 years, I can easily see Mo commanding $9M given what other D in their ELCs have signed this past year (Power, Sanderson, Faber).

You can't point at a contract signed 3 years ago as if it means anything. Otherwise those three wouldn't have signed for higher AAVs than Quinn Hughes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad