Ray Shero Hired By Lamorello To Replace Himself As GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Yeah, getting that money off the books is compensation of its own. $3.5 million is akin to another round of playoff revenue.

I have no knowledge of the Chia/Boston situation, so I won't comment on it.

If he hires Bylsma and takes Scuderi I could see the argument for us owing New Jersey a second.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
When was the last time a team actually gave compensation in this league?

We're not going to get anything for Bylsma, either. It's one of those unwritten rules, akin to RFA contracts. It's in the books that you can do it, but you're putting yourself on the **** list of a ton of teams by doing so.

I hadn't known that. Thanks for the info :)

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
they shouldn't have asked for a pick, they should have asked to dump Scuderi in NJ...

Maybe they will at the draft. Cant make a player move for the compensation. this frees them of money plus the percentage chance that a third rounder becoming a normal NHL player is like 25% like 4-5 years down the line. Hopefully they put that saved money to good use now

Last edited:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ray is gonna need to get some players in that clubhouse he knows he can trust. I see a package deal coming - Kunitz, Scuderi, and Lovejoy for the Devils 1st.

Come on Ray - you know you want to.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Ray is gonna need to get some players in that clubhouse he knows he can trust. I see a package deal coming - Kunitz, Scuderi, and Lovejoy for the Devils 1st.

Come on Ray - you know you want to.

shero1_500.jpg

"Really?"

610x-115.jpg

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
It wasn't really an either they get a draft pick or they don't have to pay Shero's salary. The issue was, in Lamoriello's mind, is Ray Shero a 3rd round draft pick better than every other potential candidate. If the answer was yes (unlikely), then we could have gotten both the draft pick and relief from paying his salary. If the answer was no (much more likely), then the Devils simply would hire someone else, and we'd get no draft pick, and we'd still be paying Shero's salary too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Two generational talents, a franchise goalie, and a #2 overall pick are not just "young pieces he inherited." :laugh: That's a guy getting the easiest job in the world handed to him on a silver platter.

The team was those superstars and very little else of consequence. They had a bottom 6 full of several flawed young wannabe top 6ers that the previous management was attached to.

In his very first year, he jettisoned guys like Surovy, Koltsov, and Endicott and brought in Ruutu, Roberts, and Laraque. That was huge in changing the team identity. The next year he continued the purge by moving out Colby and EC and bringing in role players like Dupes and Gill and legit top 6 wingers in Sykora and Hossa. In '08-'09, he moved out soft one-dimensional lotto pick Whitney for a fast, hard-hitting scoring winger in Kunitz and acquired the vet presence we needed in Guerin.

If you want to underestimate the value of those moves - and the fact that he did it by giving up so little - then be my guest. But I don't understand how anyone who watched the change in this team could take that position. We went from a creampuff team that was easy to play against to a hardnosed team that was going to take its pound of flesh in a matter of a year, and it only got better every year 'til the Cup win.

How many teams/GMs would you expect to **** up on re-signing Sid, Geno, etc? Teams haven't been letting their core, foundation players reach free agency for years. The last guys to hit the open market were Parise and Suter three years ago, and before that... Hossa? I don't even know.

Other teams didn't have so many young superstars to re-sign when the cap was so low. Keeping the core together was very much in doubt.

It's time to stop giving Shero credit. He drove this team off of a cliff and left a flaming pile of wreckage in his wake on the way out. :laugh:

Shero's team took a Finals team to 7 games in the 2nd round when he left, and the team still had Neal and Despres. Now, we get eliminated in 5 in the 1st round without being able to score more than 1 goal in 4 of the 5 games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Shero's team was eliminated in the 2nd round when he left, and the team still had Neal and Despres. Now, we get eliminated in 5 in the 1st round without being able to score more than 1 goal in 4 of the 5 games.

People also like to forget the fact that we pretty much put ourselves in cap hell in 2014, because we had such a stacked roster in 2015.

Sure, the smart route would've been to trade Orpik or Niskanen, but who knows what types of things were being whispered in Shero's ear from Morehouse.

I'd much rather have Shero still running this franchise than have a joke like Morehouse who has no hockey experience essentially being the final word.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Shero is probably already working on his next "Scuderi" deal..

Martin to NJ - 5 years, $30M. Book it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He was hired by the Penguins in 2006...

Anyway, good looks to the Penguins organization by allowing the Devils to pursue Shero. This is a breath of fresh air that was desperately needed in NJ.

The hockey gods gave us the rebuild, not Shero.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Was hoping that Ray would become the Bruins' GM; oh well. He's still a better GM than Rutherford. If Shero turns into his pre-2012 self; this is a good move. But, that doesn't seem likely.

If the Devils suddenly become a very tough team, I'm going to be really upset. :rant:

But if that's the case, then we'll know for sure that Shero wasn't able to do what HE wanted to do with this team, at least from a toughness standpoint.

As for the no compensation thing, hopefully this is viewed as a gesture of good will by the Devils...so they'd be more open to wheeling and dealing with us. They love veterans. We have veterans. Their new GM knows our players very well. This could be GREAT for us, provided we can sell off a few vets.

I think the Kovalchuk/Jagr era is over now in New Jersey, officially. After Jagr was dealt, they became Cory Schneider's team. Shero should be a good fit as a Lamoriello-lite style of GM. They have great young defensemen, so they should build the kind of team he wants...not having to worry about whether or not he has enough wingers for his superstar centers. He has none of those now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If the Devils suddenly become a very tough team, I'm going to be really upset. :rant:

But if that's the case, then we'll know for sure that Shero wasn't able to do what HE wanted to do with this team, at least from a toughness standpoint.

I can't wait until this happens and we continue to make trades for players like Winnik and Lovejoy.

IcedCapp will make a Ray Shero Appreciation Thread.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Every time we traded for deadline deals, those players were wanted by multiple playoff teams.

And that is how you judge a trade? Just because a LOT of teams are after someone, doesn't mean we have to play.

That said, Shero's trade record is far better than his overall organizational development record that's for sure.

It wasn't really an either they get a draft pick or they don't have to pay Shero's salary. The issue was, in Lamoriello's mind, is Ray Shero a 3rd round draft pick better than every other potential candidate. If the answer was yes (unlikely), then we could have gotten both the draft pick and relief from paying his salary. If the answer was no (much more likely), then the Devils simply would hire someone else, and we'd get no draft pick, and we'd still be paying Shero's salary too.

But the Devils DID hire Shero, and we're not getting compensated. So I don't understand your statement here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
When has Shero ever really lost a trade?

Every time we traded for deadline deals, those players were wanted by multiple playoff teams.

How do you define 'lost'. If you mean overpaying for a player that wasn't necessary then I disagree. If you mean wasting picks and gutting our prospect pool for unnecessary vets then I also disagree.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team was those superstars and very little else of consequence. They had a bottom 6 full of several flawed young wannabe top 6ers that the previous management was attached to.

In his very first year, he jettisoned guys like Surovy, Koltsov, and Endicott and brought in Ruutu, Roberts, and Laraque. That was huge in changing the team identity. The next year he continued the purge by moving out Colby and EC and bringing in role players like Dupes and Gill and legit top 6 wingers in Sykora and Hossa. In '08-'09, he moved out soft one-dimensional lotto pick Whitney for a fast, hard-hitting scoring winger in Kunitz and acquired the vet presence we needed in Guerin.

If you want to underestimate the value of those moves - and the fact that he did it by giving up so little - then be my guest. But I don't understand how anyone who watched the change in this team could take that position. We went from a creampuff team that was easy to play against to a hardnosed team that was going to take its pound of flesh in a matter of a year, and it only got better every year 'til the Cup win.

Other teams didn't have so many young superstars to re-sign when the cap was so low. Keeping the core together was very much in doubt.

Shero's team took a Finals team to 7 games in the 2nd round when he left, and the team still had Neal and Despres. Now, we get eliminated in 5 in the 1st round without being able to score more than 1 goal in 4 of the 5 games.

:laugh: Man you really have a way with words. Shero did a nice job at the beginning of his tenure and he deserves credit for helping to build the Pens into a Cup contender. But if you truly look at this team and the prospect pool and don't see how Shero screwed up, then wow is about all I can say.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
People need to stop acting like She to didn't do a great job here for his first 5 or so years. So what if he inherited the core? He built around it well enough to make the Cup finals two years in a row and win once. That's not easy. Having a few great talents isn't enough. Honestly if you think he just lucked into his success, you don't know what you're talking about. Losing the plot in his last couple years doesn't change what he accomplished.

Also, the organization internally was an actual ****ing backwards disaster when he took over. The stuff he did to improve things behind the scenes can't be dismissed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How do you define 'lost'. If you mean overpaying for a player that wasn't necessary then I disagree. If you mean wasting picks and gutting our prospect pool for unnecessary vets then I also disagree.

Brendan Morrow is the only big example I see in which Shero was really "ripped off". A lot of his trades were unnecessary, but that was simply the going price for rental players.

Gogo for Nisky and Neal
Kunitz and Tangradi for Whitney.
Hossa and Dupuis for 1st rounder, Colby Armstrong, Angelo Esposito and Erik Christensen
Iginla for 1st rounder, Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski

vs.

Winnik for a 2nd and a 4th
Despres for Lovejoy
Perron for a 1st (not protected) + Klinkhammer
Neal for Spaling + Hornqivst

JR is a ****ing joke compared to Shero when it comes to trading and I didn't even have to bring up any moves from Carolina.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

So what happened? Did orders come from on high to suddenly change the plans and revert to signing over the hill vets to excessive deals, trade important, valuable pieces of aging vets, and to take the easy (and idiotic) route of looking for home runs in guys like Comrie, Pyatt, Kobasew, Cal O'Reilly, etc.?

C'mon dude. Shero tinkered with Patrick's foundation. Any number of us could have done the same thing and had success. Shero didn't build the powerhouse you're suggesting. We won on the backs of Sid, Geno, Staal and Fleury.

To whom? The only people who didn't think the Pens would be able to keep everyone around were a bunch of outsiders who let their desires seep into their articles. Plenty of teams have kept their core of several star players around as well as surrounded them with legitimate talent. Anaheim, Chicago, LA, Washington, Tampa Bay, etc.

You're a smart dude, and I respect the Hell out of you as a poster, so I know deep down you realize that JR & the 53 idiots (whom are all of Shero's cronies) didn't have the time to decimate the team to the point it's at now. This, what we're all seeing, is a remnant of the Shero/Bylsma era. This team reeks of it. You know that, no matter how badly you don't want to turn the cheek.

What we're seeing could not have been done in the course of one calendar year with the moves the current bunch of idiots in our front office have mad. Kunitz? Shero. Scuderi? Shero. Lack of wingers? Oh, Shero only had 8 years to fix that issue. A disastrously poor prospect pool? Shero.

Whether or not you're willing to admit it is a moot point. Shero is far more responsible for the dumpster fire we all get the privilege of rooting for than anyone involved with this team now.

And again, I'm not defending JR. He needed to do more to fix the disaster that was left for him to clean up, but he's just as incompetent and incapable as Shero was. The only difference is that Shero has had 5+ years after the Cup to do his damage whereas JR's only had one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
People need to stop acting like She to didn't do a great job here for his first 5 or so years. So what if he inherited the core? He built around it well enough to make the Cup finals two years in a row and win once. That's not easy. Having a few great talents isn't enough. Honestly if you think he just lucked into his success, you don't know what you're talking about. Losing the plot in his last couple years doesn't change what he accomplished.

Also, the organization internally was an actual ****ing backwards disaster when he took over. The stuff he did to improve things behind the scenes can't be dismissed.

And the first year he is gone we lose one of our best defensive prospects for nothing. We gave away every single pick except for a second rounder. We barely limped into the playoffs and our team even has less identity than it had the year before.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
:laugh: Man you really have a way with words. Shero did a nice job at the beginning of his tenure and he deserved credit for helping to build the Pens into a Cup contender.

Yup. ;)

But if you truly look at this team and the prospect pool and don't see how Shero screwed up, then wow is about all I can say.

Shero made his mistakes, as every GM does. But people here tend to look at Shero's bad moves in isolation and magnify them all out of proportion. You only get perspective when you compare his track record to other GMs.

The only problem with the prospect pool when Shero left was its lack of good forwards. We had good goalies and the best blueline in the league, but now the latter's been compromised.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yup. ;)

Shero made his mistakes, as every GM does. But people here tend to look at Shero's bad moves in isolation and magnify them all out of proportion. You only get perspective when you compare his track record to other GMs.

The only problem with the prospect pool when Shero left was its lack of good forwards. We had good goalies and the best blueline in the league, but now the latter's been compromised.

The only problem is that Shero & Co. completely disregarded the bulk of what makes up a hockey team. :laugh: Yeah, I'd agree there. That's a problem alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium