WWE: Raw and Smackdown Part 4 - The Paul Levesque Era

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Kayfabe. She does speak it better if you've watched any of her videos on her Youtube channel. My point wasn't all about English skill but in general about NXT not harming any of the foreign signees.
Ok. She speaks english on her youtube channel, which you're right, I don't watch.

She doesn't speak english on WWE TV.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok. She speaks english on her youtube channel, which you're right, I don't watch.

She doesn't speak english on WWE TV.
That's a creative choice, which no one has complained about. Nakamura speaks fairly good English but they're having him do pre-recorded videos in Japanese because it works.

And just to clarify, she speaks Japanese on her channel but when she's out and about, you can hear her speak English fairly well.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Not everyone who "needs" to learn English needs to go to NXT first.

The idea of every potential signing the WWE makes having to go to NXT first needs to stop.
eh, better for Vaquer and Giulia to go through NXT and get regular exposure rather than 2 minute appearances on one of the main shows until maybe a month later they get a short match

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
eh, better for Vaquer and Giulia to go through NXT and get regular exposure rather than 2 minute appearances on one of the main shows until maybe a month later they get a short match
My point is that, especially now, it's easier to do their presentation or "packaging" at NXT because the synergy is much better.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I can understand Giulia if they're booking her as a monster (similar to Asuka)

I'm just a big fan of the vignettes. Give us a month of vignettes for Vaquer highlighting her career and have her debut on the main roster and kill someone. Sometimes that's just as impactful, or more impactful than an NXT run.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's a creative choice, which no one has complained about. Nakamura speaks fairly good English but they're having him do pre-recorded videos in Japanese because it works.

And just to clarify, she speaks Japanese on her channel but when she's out and about, you can hear her speak English fairly well.
You’re disputing your own point which is that they don’t need to sit in NXT to learn English even they’re better off speaking their native language even if it has to be translated in video, or not at all.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Basically his entire IC title run. He was head and shoulders above everybody and barely spoke a word. The entrance had a level of prestige to it, he's a mean looking dude, and beats the piss out of everybody. No promo necessary.

People don't realize that if you can legitimize yourself in the ring you don't need to do a 10 minute monologue every week.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You’re disputing your own point which is that they don’t need to sit in NXT to learn English even they’re better off speaking their native language even if it has to be translated in video, or not at all.
No, I'm not.

In-ring Makamura can relay his word in English, as has been shown. As has Asuka and Iyo.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
"If you can't talk you can't be a top draw" is probably not a winning argument to new ownership, considering one of the hottest draws in their other company right now is Brazilian and barely speaks English.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No, I'm not.

In-ring Makamura can relay his word in English, as has been shown. As has Asuka and Iyo.
So why Steph going to NXT to waste her time then.

She’s better than half the women on the main roster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For the Steph vs Giulia match.

It doesn't harm her in anyway.
They don’t need Giulia there either, it’s the same exact situation.

The only real reason is to strengthen NXT itself for CW, or if they start going on the road which defeats the purpose of what they do.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People don't realize that if you can legitimize yourself in the ring you don't need to do a 10 minute monologue every week.

That will only get you so far. If he can't cut promos then he has to evolve his character some other way.

Most fans don't care about a performer being "legitimized" in the ring, they want to be entertained one way or the other.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
That will only get you so far. If he can't cut promos then he has to evolve his character some other way.

Most fans don't care about a performer being "legitimized" in the ring, they want to be entertained one way or the other.

And yet Gunther matches consistently get absurd fan engagement...

Reactions: Jussi

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For the Steph vs Giulia match.

It doesn't harm her in anyway.
Sure. I love the idea of that match in the WWE, too.

Do you know either of these two womens wrestlers, though? Kind of odd to have such a strong opinion if you don't watch any other company.

NXT is developmental, you've said so yourself. Giulia and Vaquer are among the best in the world at their craft, they're better than 80-90% of the main roster already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure. I love the idea of that match, too.

Do you know either of these two womens wrestlers, though? Kind of odd to have such a strong opinion if you don't watch any other company.

NXT is developmental, you've said so yourself. Giulia and Vaquer are among the best in the world at their craft, they're better than 80-90% of the main roster already.
I've seen their stats and on this site, that's perfect scouting.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And yet Gunther matches consistently get absurd fan engagement...

I said before he's great in the ring. He can work with anyone and basically any style. Bell-to-bell he's fantastic. No one is disputing that.

He's barely been seen since WM 40. I haven't heard fans chant his name once in his absence. Where are all the "we want Gunther" chants?

To get to the next level, his character needs to evolve from this big monster heel character he's been portraying the past 2+ years. I don't think that is insulting, almost every performer had to evolve to get to the main event level. What makes Gunther any different? Reality is a big dominant monster heel characters typically have a shelf life if they don't evolve. Take Kane for example. As good as his "silent killer' gimmick was, it ran it course eventually.

He doesn't need catchphrases or to cut long promos in the ring. But if he just keeps re-hashing what he's done so far as a dominant monster heel most fans will get bored of it eventually if they aren't getting there already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Giulia and Steph did just have a match in March, Steph won the Strong women’s title off Giulia

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I said before he's great in the ring. He can work with anyone and basically any style. Bell-to-bell he's fantastic. No one is disputing that.

He's barely been seen since WM 40. I haven't heard fans chant his name once in his absence. Where are all the "we want Gunther" chants?

To get to the next level, his character needs to evolve from this big monster heel character he's been portraying the past 2+ years. I don't think that is insulting, almost every performer had to evolve to get to the main event level. What makes Gunther any different? Reality is a big dominant monster heel characters typically have a shelf life if they don't evolve. Take Kane for example. As good as his "silent killer' gimmick was, it ran it course eventually.

He doesn't need catchphrases or to cut long promos in the ring. But if he just keeps re-hashing what he's done so far as a dominant monster heel most fans will get bored of it eventually if they aren't getting there already.

... You expected "We want Gunther" chants for a heel who is actually a heel? :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's more likely these woman are starting in NXT because they want star power on the roster for the move to CW.

They got to justify the price that was paid for that TV deal

If there is anything to "learn" there it's simply to adjust to how WWE runs their tv shows and how to work around the ad breaks and the hard cams, but you can learn that really quickly.

One of them might stay there a bit longer to be the face of the brand, but not both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad