Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We had a forward and a D put up the best playoff numbers in 3 decades. Our best players did pretty darn good.

Solid depth is what takes teams all the way. Lots of Florida depth owned us, especially on their wings. How long have you been watching playoffs? It's very rare for a team with a bottom 4 D group as crap as ours to even make it to the finals. A solid top 4 is a must. We only made it as far as we did because a few elite performances were able to cancel out how trash some of our depth was. It should have been much easier, but they did everything they could. Our bottom 4 D were a handicap through almost the entire playoffs.
The only Florida line that was a net positive 5 vs 5 was their top line.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If everything goes right with Holloway and Broberg as players. In 2 years you’re looking at paying them these numbers anyways. Or more if they really hit and want to collect more rings.

What the Blues did is move up their timeline 2 years. And force us to pre-pay for their hopeful performance instead of paying them after they earned it. Dick move by the Blues but understandable.

Now if everything goes wrong, those are some contracts you can't have strapping this Cup worthy team. The risk factor with those cap hits makes me fine with moving on from them. However, I will say that I liked both players in the playoffs and believed in them. But believing in them at 1-2M per vs. 2-4M per is two entirely different assessments. We've also seen young players have a hot streak or start and fall back down to earth. Happened with Yamo and Pool, could definitely happen with Broberg and Holloway too.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If everything goes right with Holloway and Broberg as players. In 2 years you’re looking at paying them these numbers anyways. Or more if they really hit and want to collect more rings.

What the Blues did is move up their timeline 2 years. And force us to pre-pay for their hopeful performance instead of paying them after they earned it. Dick move by the Blues but understandable.

Now if everything goes wrong, those are some contracts you can't have strapping this Cup worthy team. The risk factor with those cap hits makes me fine with moving on from them. However, I will say that I liked both players in the playoffs and believed in them. But believing in them at 1-2M per vs. 2-4M per is two entirely different assessments. We've also seen young players have a hot streak or start and fall back down to earth. Happened with Yamo and Pool, could definitely happen with Broberg and Holloway too.
Yeah there are no guarantees for sure.
It wouldnt make me happy at all but it also wouldnt surprise me though to see one or both players flourish in St Louis.
You're right though...if that does in fact happen what do their next contracts look like?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
This kind of makes me sad. Holloway just seemed like a fun and happy guy here. Is what it is I guess.
I cheered for this guy every time he stepped onto the ice. He was trending to be my favorite Oiler. I wish him a successful career but hopefully away from St. Louis...lol. Offersheet was for an extra million. I felt he was worth it.

Broberg comes from the William Nylander cloth it seems...edit: probably moreso their agents.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah there are no guarantees for sure.
It wouldnt make me happy at all but it also wouldnt surprise me though to see one or both players flourish in St Louis.
You're right though...if that does in fact happen what do their next contracts look like?
Yeh. I would add they both have injury concerns too. Holloway plays like Hall, bull in a china shop, and it tends to lead to chaos and injury. Broberg's lack of awareness was apparent as a young prospect and still reared its ugly head in the AHL and NHL playoffs last year. He has a habit of getting absolutely trucked.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can understand Broberg's contract was too steep, but signing a washed up Perry who can't skate for sh*t and letting Holloway go for a 3rd is unacceptable.

Nurse's contract is hurting us so much more than I ever thought.

Cap management matters. $3.2 in dead cap on Brown + $1.1 mill on Campbell pretty much cost us two players we spent 1st round picks on (which also renders the whole "draft and develop!" philosophy a bust).

The people who kept giving Holland a pass for this stuff probably finally get it now.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The only Florida line that was a net positive 5 vs 5 was their top line.

They built up a 3-0 buffer that was built on momentum from our reeling after we had to go back to Nurse-Ceci, which ended up a disaster in game 1. Sure, we pounced a bit when they were buckling under the pressure of closing us out, but we ran out of gas in the end.

Are we blaming our top players for not winning the cup when we were only in the finals on the backs of once in 3 decade performances that managed to mask how bad some of our lineup was? We ran our top players into the ground to get where we were. Knob spent loads of time that he shouldn't have had to trying to figure out how to stop the bleeding of a Nurse pair. And that bleeding only stopped because of a run of luck. Nurse's pair still allowed loads of chances right to the end. There are a number of reasons beyond our top guys that built up over the playoffs for why we failed in the end.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah I heard for weeks how both Dallas and Vancouver would beat the oilers because they had so much more depth. Saying the Oilers lost because of depth at 2nd pairing RD is a person looking for a scapegoat, not reality. The games they lost were largely due to poor goaltending or McDrai being shutdown.

But if you’re going to insist that our depth was trash then you are saying Ceci, Vinny, Broberg, Holloway and every other player who’s no longer on the roster were the problem. So really you should be happy that the didn’t match and happy with the moves made so far because they have the cap space now to add that depth

I am happy. I wasn't very positive on the idea Broberg could be a full time Nurse babysitter. IMO we were setting ourselves up for Nurse-Ceci again not too far into the season, and the same headaches all year. Finding the right player to play with Nurse is what turns this team into something that could actually compete for a presidents trophy and have a much smoother ride to the finals. Not a team that needs McDavid to shatter modern day records again to have any hope in playoffs.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Except the toilet paper warehouse is insured. If it burns down after one year, it's covered for a mere one-third of cost. If another toilet paper shortage happens, the value of the toilet paper and its warehouse goes up. In NHL terms, getting a young pedigree NHL ready age 23 for a paltry 2nd round draft pick is pretty good three ply toilet paper hard to shop for and find in a dollar store.

The Oilers had a chance to buy cheap toilet paper and brand they knew and trusted before covid conditions rendered a new financial reality. They missed the signs ahead and burned their own warehouse supply. Now they have to find an expensive replacement, rare 4 ply toilet paper (top 4 RD), in a scarcity market with minimal assets in their pockets.

Shitty deal for Oilers management. Wish they had more fresh toilet paper or did a better job to hoard it at value pricing. Shitty to get caught in the toilet not prepared.
All presumes that there will be a toilet paper shortage. Fear makes people do weird things.

Keeping a 7D for 4.6M doesnt save them from having to find an expensive top 4 replacement anyways. Oilers of old would buy all the toilet paper and keep using it to plug the waterline then wonder why it floods anyways. Glad it see some other team do that.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
One thing these two did is take away any sort of patience a team might have with their growing pains.

They’re both being paid to perform now.

Luckily for them they are doing it for the Blues and not in Edmonton. They can screw up in St Lou and still carry on with their lives, no will will know or care who they are out in public.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So we turned Hollands 5 first round picks into Ekholm, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, Podkolzin, Fischer, Jarventie and O’Reilly. So pretty much Ekholm and a bunch of long shots. I never did like Holland/Wrights drafting so hopefully these prospects turn out better then the ones they picked.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
This was done simply because it's Stan. Blues thought why not stick it to this guy, it's not like he can take the high road on us. 🤔

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
It would be hilarious if Podklozin and Emberson both out-performed Broberg and Holloway this season
I would not be surprised in the least. Holloway is slated to be a 4th liner, Broberg is fighting Krug and Leddy for LD ice time. He could easily end up with 3rd pairing minutes. The Blues only have 2 RD so he may end up 3rd pairing RD :)

Reactions: VainGretzky

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Luckily for them they are doing it for the Blues and not in Edmonton. They can screw up in St Lou and still carry on with their lives, no will will know or care who they are out in public.
Yeah, having traveled to St Louis for work a few times the depth of the Blues/hockey fan base is pretty shallow. It will be a low pressure market in which they can play and not be noticed if they struggle.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad