Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So we’re no worse now than the end of the playoffs by the sounds of it. But they have the ability to get better.

The #4 Dman was not the reason they didn’t win the cup, wasn’t the reason we didn’t sweep the Canucks either. That’s nonsense. Youre only as strong as your best players can carry you.

If what you’re saying was true then Florida would have never won because they had weak links as well.

We had a forward and a D put up the best playoff numbers in 3 decades. Our best players did pretty darn good.

Solid depth is what takes teams all the way. Lots of Florida depth owned us, especially on their wings. How long have you been watching playoffs? It's very rare for a team with a bottom 4 D group as crap as ours to even make it to the finals. A solid top 4 is a must. We only made it as far as we did because a few elite performances were able to cancel out how trash some of our depth was. It should have been much easier, but they did everything they could. Our bottom 4 D were a handicap through almost the entire playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not being able to trade for 1 year offersheet matched players is an important part of the calculus. Really if either player under performed, we’d have near zero options at the deadline being cap strapped as well.

As an aside, this is a CBA provision that I don't understand whatsoever. This was also one that I thought of as a reason to not match. If they stink we can't even get rid of them or try to until the end of August '25 after 95% of the leagues moves have been made. Just no.

Did my best and failed to try and think of some sort of loophole that a team could exploit by simply matching an offer sheet and then trading the player. Came up blank.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was going to post earlier that I bet Broberg was fine with the Oilers not matching but that I suspected Holloway would regret this move. There are reasons why it can be a mistake to go for the money too early. Both JP and Yamamoto priced themselves off the team and eventually almost out of the league.

Holloway was in an excellent position to possibly inherit a spot with McDavid or Leon in two years. If he had signed for two years at say $1.2M he would have had little pressure on him and likely would have been used in a variety of ways. Now he is in a position where if he struggles at all he could see himself down the road not getting qualified.
If he's lucky he might carve himself a career like Jake Debrusk. Almost price himself out at the first QO and then had a little breakthru

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As an aside, this is a CBA provision that I don't understand whatsoever. This was also one that I thought of as a reason to not match. If they stink we can't even get rid of them or try to until the end of August '25 after 95% of the leagues moves have been made. Just no.

Did my best and failed to try and think of some sort of loophole that a team could exploit by simply matching an offer sheet and then trading the player. Came up blank.

I guess teams could negotiate outside of the contracted party to try and get a trade return higher than the offersheet compensation?

That doesn't seem like that unreasonable of an outcome even if it happened though outside of making offersheets even more rare than they already are.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That doesn't make sense though.

If a team is trading for Broberg and they know he's going to end up on a $4.6M offersheet, they aren't going to offer anything worthwhile. That contract puts his value at basically zero. You'd be far better off just trading for a different defenseman that isn't paid four times his worth.

The return the Oilers ended up getting is probably about as good as you could hope for.
St.Louis is okay with paying him 4.6 million. Of course other teams would too. Broberg has a ton of value in his potential to be a top 4 D. Some teams have the cap to take the chance

Plus, that wouldn't happen. A team isn't going to offer sheet Broberg if he is on a team that would easily match. If we had traded Broberg he probably would have re signed with his new team for maybe 2.5 aav

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We didn’t have the cap space to fit an extension for Buch. How pissed would people have been if we traded for buch lost the cup and had to see the guy walk? At least with the deal we made we have Henrique for two more years
As someone previously mentioned - we could have fit it and Buch would have been on a $2.75MM contract this year as well so well worth it Drai would have had a winger during the playoffs.

But yeah they were looking young and cost controlled vs young and expensive and hindsight is 2020

Reactions: Duke74

Macblender

May 5, 2014
St.Louis is okay with paying him 4.6 million. Of course other teams would too. Broberg has a ton of value in his potential to be a top 4 D. Some teams have the cap to take the chance

Plus, that wouldn't happen. A team isn't going to offer sheet Broberg if he is on a team that would easily match. If we had traded Broberg he probably would have re signed with his new team for maybe 2.5 aav
It isnt bad since you can walk in 2 years and it is a good gamble for them. We arent in gambling stage we are in try and win a cup and maximize our use of the cap.

Worst case if it was a long contract and Broberg is useless under 25 buyout which is peanuts. They are in a part of their team development where the excess cap doesnt matter really.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I honestly can say McDrai and Bouchard are serious talking to each other about taking discounts after this fiasco

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yeh i forgot about this rule when it was first announced. I’m not sure why the rule exists. Also not sure why the NHL doesn’t have a competent way to handle LTIR in the CBA. Alot of the CBA, the whole process of arb rights included, and the offer sheet compensations don’t make much sense to me. But that’s just typical of NHL general incompetence.

North

Jun 25, 2009
As someone previously mentioned - we could have fit it and Buch would have been on a $2.75MM contract this year as well so well worth it Drai would have had a winger during the playoffs.

But yeah they were looking young and cost controlled vs young and expensive and hindsight is 2020
The thing is young and cost controlled helps extend our window.

St. Louis decided to overpay for both players and took a severe chunk of the value they had for us away. Now you have to look at the entirety of their tenure with us and decide if they are worth their deals.

The Oilers did well to replace these two with players at a fraction of the cost.

Get the picks and cap space and use that to upgrade at the deadline.

Reactions: bellagiobob

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Holloway can clearly see the consequences of his actions.

Idk if I've ever seen Holloway not beaming ear to ear before. He looks pissed; he signed a poison pill contract and he knows it. I wonder if he fires his agent. Lol.

He's straight up the 4th LW on their depth chart behind Saad, Neighbors, and Buchnevich.

He's likely not getting top 6 minutes at center either; again 4th behind Schenn, Thomas, or Kyrou.

Maybe he can find some time at right wing, which is kind of weak, but even still he's battling for a spot against Sundquist & Joseph for a top 9 spot because he's likely slotted clearly behind Kapanen and Faksa.

This kind of makes me sad. Holloway just seemed like a fun and happy guy here. Is what it is I guess.

Broberg on the other hand always gave me sad cloud vibes.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We had a forward and a D put up the best playoff numbers in 3 decades. Our best players did pretty darn good.

Solid depth is what takes teams all the way. Lots of Florida depth owned us, especially on their wings. How long have you been watching playoffs? It's very rare for a team with a bottom 4 D group as crap as ours to even make it to the finals. A solid top 4 is a must. We only made it as far as we did because a few elite performances were able to cancel out how trash some of our depth was. It should have been much easier, but they did everything they could. Our bottom 4 D were a handicap through almost the entire playoffs.
Yeah I heard for weeks how both Dallas and Vancouver would beat the oilers because they had so much more depth. Saying the Oilers lost because of depth at 2nd pairing RD is a person looking for a scapegoat, not reality. The games they lost were largely due to poor goaltending or McDrai being shutdown.

But if you’re going to insist that our depth was trash then you are saying Ceci, Vinny, Broberg, Holloway and every other player who’s no longer on the roster were the problem. So really you should be happy that the didn’t match and happy with the moves made so far because they have the cap space now to add that depth

Reactions: K1984

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This kind of makes me sad. Holloway just seemed like a fun and happy guy here. Is what it is I guess.

Broberg on the other hand always gave me sad cloud vibes.

Idk. It kind of sucks but like, he knew what we were trying to do and how we had no cap space. He f***ed around and tried to bend us over for a quick buck, and found out well... Exactly what he already knew, that we had no cap space.

It sucks, I don't really like it myself, and I'll miss the kid, but like, not really sure what he expected to happen.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Broberg camp's offer was 1 yr at $1.8M, so yeah he would have.

You guys don't have to apologize or make excuses for the team, sometimes idiotic failure is just infact that.
Why would you say I'm apologizing for the team? Broberg wanted out during the season, you are fooling yourself if you don't believe that.

When was the offer you are referring to?

Last edited:

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I was going to post earlier that I bet Broberg was fine with the Oilers not matching but that I suspected Holloway would regret this move. There are reasons why it can be a mistake to go for the money too early. Both JP and Yamamoto priced themselves off the team and eventually almost out of the league.

Holloway was in an excellent position to possibly inherit a spot with McDavid or Leon in two years. If he had signed for two years at say $1.2M he would have had little pressure on him and likely would have been used in a variety of ways. Now he is in a position where if he struggles at all he could see himself down the road not getting qualified.

Honestly, he does not look as "excited" as he stated.
Ya obviously it is impossible to know what will come from this. But it’s certainly possible he costs himself in the long run. Think the Oilers were fine showing the patience and loyalty to him.

St Louis will not show him nearly the amount of loyalty if he underperforms

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Idk. It kind of sucks but like, he knew what we were trying to do and how we had no cap space. He f***ed around and tried to bend us over for a quick buck, and found out well... Exactly what he already knew, that we had no cap space.

It sucks, I don't really like it myself, and I'll miss the kid, but like, not really sure what he expected to happen.
Oh for sure. He also is getting almost 5 million bucks so he will be fine.

I just always thought of him as a player that would be here awhile. Even if it was just a 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad