Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I really think Dahlin might need to move to the right side moving forward. If Power, Bryson, Johnson and Samuelsson are all players, it might make sense. I could see Samuelsson being a long term partner.

I actually prefer him on the right side myself. He can be so damn elusive and cut into the center of the ice from the right side and have his dominant hand ready to snipe like last night.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I actually prefer him on the right side myself. He can be so damn elusive and cut into the center of the ice from the right side and have his dominant hand ready to snipe like last night.

He was playing the right side when he got walked by Hertl
He was playing the right side when he got walked by Bertuzzi
He was playing the right side when he got walked by Ovie last year
He was playing the right side on a failed blueline keep-in that resulted in ENG against earlier this year

The fanbase immediately melts down after these types of things. As others like Jack Han have pointed out, there are some technical weaknesses in Dahlin's game related to his stick and feet positioning, I feel like these issues are exponentially worse on his off hand side.

I get what he did on the larger ice surfaces in Europe, but I don't think he is suited to playing his off hand side in the NHL, this is strictly speaking about his defense and play without the puck.

While yesterday's dangle and goal came from the right side, the biggest change I saw was a concerted effort to get to the middle of the ice and shoot the puck. He's such an elite puck carrier, if he maintains that level of aggressiveness he's going to score A LOT of points, regardless of which side he plays.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
He was playing the right side when he got walked by Hertl
He was playing the right side when he got walked by Bertuzzi
He was playing the right side when he got walked by Ovie last year
He was playing the right side on a failed blueline keep-in that resulted in ENG against earlier this year

The fanbase immediately melts down after these types of things. As others like Jack Han have pointed out, there are some technical weaknesses in Dahlin's game related to his stick and feet positioning, I feel like these issues are exponentially worse on his off hand side.

I get what he did on the larger ice surfaces in Europe, but I don't think he is suited to playing his off hand side in the NHL, this is strictly speaking about his defense and play without the puck.

While yesterday's dangle and goal came from the right side, the biggest change I saw was a concerted effort to get to the middle of the ice and shoot the puck. He's such an elite puck carrier, if he maintains that level of aggressiveness he's going to score A LOT of points, regardless of which side he plays.

I certainly don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, just a minor preference, but Dahlin has been walked on the left side countless times as well.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles

I'd play both Dahlin and Power where they're most effective and move some of the other guys around to compliment them. I wouldn't move either to a position where they're less effective. Maybe one of them can thrive on the right side, but if not, don't force it.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I certainly don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, just a minor preference, but Dahlin has been walked on the left side countless times as well.
I wouldn't call it 'countless', but I agree he needs to work on his transition D a bit. not trying to start and argument, just want to keep things in perspective. imo the bad has been greatly surpassed by the good, but of of course we want him to be good at everything and he probably can and will do so.

the most impressive thing that people forget about dahlin this year is that he is straight eating #1 minutes. never did this in his career, so there are going to be mistakes. he will learn if his play along his development is any indicator. just needs some time to adjust to the higher level of competition

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I like Dahlin on the right because he's lefthanded and if he's pushing the puck up ice it's harder to stick check him on his backhand because he has more control of the puck. ( /=(stick) .=(puck) Right side= /. puck to the boards blade to the outside for more puck control versus left side= /. puck is up for grabs/turnovers.

Lydman and Tallinder pairing is an example of two LHD who made it work for this very complementary reason.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I've loved his game recently.

He definitely looks like he's added weight this year and is thicker. And the last few games, he looks like he's handling contact well.

He's still working through the warts. But as a Sabres fan, I've found myself looking for him on the ice more and more in critical situations.

It's tough to explain, but even when he isn't playing great (i.e. Minnesota), he feels like a No. 1.

Very excited for his future.

Reactions: Chainshot

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He's finally figuring out he's the quarterback not one of the wide receivers. Instead of waiting for opportunities to develop, he's creating them. He's becoming more aggressive on defense too. Instead of passively waiting for the play to come to him, he's attacking it. He's taking a few more penalties due to that but he'll learn soon enough what he can get away with.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He's finally figuring out he's the quarterback not one of the wide receivers. Instead of waiting for opportunities to develop, he's creating them. He's becoming more aggressive on defense too. Instead of passively waiting for the play to come to him, he's attacking it. He's taking a few more penalties due to that but he'll learn soon enough what he can get away with.

Just like my log-in name, UnleashRasmus, he's finally getting confidence, and he's looking for his shot. It's about god damn time. He's too good to be so passive. He'll make mistakes, but if he gets his head on straight he can be at least "adequate" defensively.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

And if he clubs a few guys in the crease, fine. Make 'em think before they go there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dahlin currently 2nd on the team in points, 1st in ice time, and 1st in PP points. Seems like a pretty important part of this team, maybe we should hang onto him for awhile. Imagine what he'll do when he's surrounded by all of the talent in our prospect pool.

l-uq5L.gif

Seriously though, I agree. He's been good and they shouldn't be looking to do anything but continue to try to surround him with good players.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Agree with all of that except the reasoning for his penalties. He's been taking a lot of penalties all season. That's not a new development due to improved play. This season he's taken on more minutes and responsibility defensively. That's more likely the cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad