Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Chad has been reporting more or less the same thing. Maybe his agent was inspired by the Matthews contract and is now going in another direction. Probably a smart move considering the owners. Horrible news for us fans though.

How is it horrible news? He'd be here for at least 6 more years.
Isn't he restricted? He doesn't get to dictate the terms...unless he's willing to hold out.
He very much gets to dictate how many years he signs for.

Reactions: Ehran

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It makes sense for Dahlin to want to be a free agent by age 30. So I see why he'd want a shorter contract. Agent is probably saying this to him as well. If he's 29 and UFA he's almost guaranteed another max deal. If he's 32-33 he'd have to negotiate down as team's wouldn't want a 35+ player with term taking up a chunk of cap space.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023

Some speculation on the inter webs that it’s so Dahlin can maximize his value.

IMO I would guess that it’s actually so he has control of his career. The Pegula owned Sabres have put together maybe the worst decade of hockey the league has ever seen. It’s been historically bad. Pegula’s life is a mess at the moment. His wife is???. He’s been alleged to have said some terribly racist stuff. There’s been rumors for years he might sell the team. The Bills have a feeling that they might on ravel.

If you’re Rasmus Dahlin, why the fork would you tie yourself to this franchise for a decade right now after seeing the last decade?

I don’t mean to say that I don’t think he should sign here. Or that every player should run. But I certainly understand a player like Dahlin wanting to protect his career long term.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

IMO I would guess that it’s actually so he has control of his career. The Pegula owned Sabres have put together maybe the worst decade of hockey the league has ever seen. It’s been historically bad. Pegula’s life is a mess at the moment. His wife is???. He’s been alleged to have said some terribly racist stuff. There’s been rumors for years he might sell the team. The Bills have a feeling that they might on ravel.

If you’re Rasmus Dahlin, why the fork would you tie yourself to this franchise for a decade right now after seeing the last decade?

I don’t mean to say that I don’t think he should sign here. Or that every player should run. But I certainly understand a player like Dahlin wanting to protect his career long term.

Just my $0.02
Yeah, the "why" definitely isn't a mystery. Personally, all of the 8-yr rumors really got my hopes up so this was a bit disappointing to read.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Just my $0.02

If he wants out he can literally leave after next season. He can just sign a 1 yr deal or go to arbitration next summer. If he signs a 5yr deal, he’ll be here for 6 more years that will be his prime. In what universe is that not tying himself to this team?

I had said a few days ago in this thread that I could care less if he extends for only 4yrs. As long as he‘s staying. You do whats possible contract-wise and keep building out the team. Some of you seem to think it has to be the perfect term (8yrs) or the sky is falling.

Reactions: brian_griffin

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
If he wants out he can literally leave after next season. He can just sign a 1 yr deal or go to arbitration next summer. If he signs a 5yr deal, he’ll be here for 6 more years that will be his prime. In what universe is that not tying himself to this team?

I had said a few days ago in this thread that I could care less if he extends for only 4yrs. As long as he‘s staying. You do whats possible contract-wise and keep building out the team. Some of you seem to think it has to be the perfect term (8yrs) or the sky is falling.

Essentially it would be due to how it will kill us in the long run and short run depending on the AAV. He’s not asking for 5x9, the fear is he wants 5x11.5 which is literally only good for Dahlin and terrible for us as it hamstrings us cap wise and forces us into a bidding war over our own player in 6 seasons.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Essentially it would be due to how it will kill us in the long run and short run depending on the AAV. He’s not asking for 5x9, the fear is he wants 5x11.5 which is literally only good for Dahlin and terrible for us as it hamstrings us cap wise and forces us into a bidding war over our own player in 6 seasons.
Thank you for making my point about posters thinking the sky is falling with any non- 8yr deal.

You have no idea what the cap will be 6yrs from now.
You have no idea what our roster will look like 6 years from now.
But somehow you know our cap will be f***ed with a 5yr deal.

If a star player wants to stay, teams find a way to keep them by working the cap. If that star player wants to leave, then they leave. There is no bidding war involved to try to keep them.

Don‘t create reasons to worry about with this team. They give us plenty of real reasons to do so.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
A 5 year deal isn't ideal. It'd be a bit frustrating because it'll likely cost us more money. Not a team friendly move by any means unless the cap hit is lower.

Eitherway, get that deal done!

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Imagine losing a 28 year old Dahlin, or getting taken to the rafters and being forced to pay him superstar money at age 36 on the next deal. Really hope it doesn’t get done at 5.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
6 years and a slightly lower cap hit than the 8 year deal should be fine. If Dahlin has been reasonable it's not a good idea to mess around. Negotiations is a real culture clash when it comes to swedes and americans.

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Thank you for making my point about posters thinking the sky is falling with any non- 8yr deal.

You have no idea what the cap will be 6yrs from now.
You have no idea what our roster will look like 6 years from now.
But somehow you know our cap will be f***ed with a 5yr deal.
We do have "an idea" of what the cap will be 6 years from now. So do Dahlin's agents - it's why they're doing what they're doing right now.

Yes, the eight years of $10.5m cap hit that's been (bogusly) reported as a done deal all summer would be way better for our future cap than in five years having to bid against the rest of the league for our UFA (likely) captain at $14m or more.

We've had people in this thread all summer insisting that the reasonable max for an eight(!) year deal is $10m. So it's not a fun development when it's September, the deal isn't signed, and rumors are swirling that Dahlin wants to go the Matthews route (aka extract the most money from the team while unlocking earlier unrestricted free agency than we all hoped). It's not even about the cap hit in the end, it's about UFA.
Don‘t create reasons to worry about with this team. They give us plenty of real reasons to do so.
Couldn't feel more the opposite. There are so few reasons to worry about the future of this team that when a real one starts popping up, it's hard not to overreact.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
As I said earlier, Adams has no leverage over Dahlin. All the cards are in Rasmus's hands. If he wants a 5-year contract, that makes sense in terms of his age and his next contract. Now the benchmark for the entire league is Matthews with his new contract. Maybe Adams will agree to a 6-year deal, and then Rasmus will be in Buffalo for at least seven seasons, which is also not bad.

Reactions: old kummelweck

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
8 year max deal will be gone in next CBA anyways. Just do six, so there is control for 7 years. Honestly, I have my reservations that he will even play out a 6 year deal. This team has so much constant changeover.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
When you have other young, talented players hitching their wagons to the team long term, and your one true star-tier player eying the exits as soon as possible, as a fan suddenly you lose that warm fuzzy feeling you might've had about your young core that could turn into a perennial Cup contender for the next decade.

I don't think Dahlin is doing it so maliciously, and I get why he'd want that for his career and livelihood... but we finally have an actually promising team, we haven't even turned the corner yet, after a 12 year drought... and we already have players playing hard ball. Not a great feeling as a fan.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
When you have other young, talented players hitching their wagons to the team long term, and your one true star-tier player eying the exits as soon as possible, as a fan suddenly you lose that warm fuzzy feeling you might've had about your young core that could turn into a perennial Cup contender for the next decade.

I don't think Dahlin is doing it so maliciously, and I get why he'd want that for his career and livelihood... but we finally have an actually promising team, we haven't even turned the corner yet, after a 12 year drought... and we already have players playing hard ball. Not a great feeling as a fan.

But this isn't what's happening. If this were happening he wouldn't sign a 5 year deal. He would sign a 1 year or refuse to play and request a trade. I want an 8 year deal too but if it's 5 instead it isn't the end of the world. I won't pretend I am happy about it but i will still be relieved he is signed for his prime.

I firmly believe that if things go well over the next 6 years, resigning him won't be an issue and he might be willing to take a discount then if the team is a contender and if we still suck in 6 years he (along with everyone else) is likely gone anyways. Good teams don't have problems retaining their players.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Just give him 6 years and call it a day if this report is true. Would prefer 8 but can swallow 6.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
8 year max deal will be gone in next CBA anyways. Just do six, so there is control for 7 years. Honestly, I have my reservations that he will even play out a 6 year deal. This team has so much constant changeover.
Maybe, maybe not.

long-term deals provide cost-certainty. Max term deals typically go to the best of the best, so the risk of a rising star channeling his inner Ville Leino after signing such a deal is low and seems acceptable.

I could see owners demanding players take a lesser percentage of HRR and a higher escrow % contribution in exchange for a reduced max deal term.

Or maybe the owners want reduced max term too.

I wonder if both sides would ever agree to a fixed cap rate of increase schedule - say 4 years held with the same rate of increase, with the 5th year used to even up with actual reality. That scheme might provide more certainty for contract negotiation & total team budget purposes, with the 5th year going up or down accordingly, still linked to HRR.

It would be somewhat like a PID controller with the gain, rate, and reset.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
But this isn't what's happening. If this were happening he wouldn't sign a 5 year deal. He would sign a 1 year or refuse to play and request a trade. I want an 8 year deal too but if it's 5 instead it isn't the end of the world. I won't pretend I am happy about it but i will still be relieved he is signed for his prime.

I firmly believe that if things go well over the next 6 years, resigning him won't be an issue and he might be willing to take a discount then if the team is a contender and if we still suck in 6 years he (along with everyone else) is likely gone anyways. Good teams don't have problems retaining their players.

Take out the "as soon as possible" from the bold and I think it's closer to what's happening. In either case, I'm not saying it's a reasonable or realistic conclusion, but that's how some fans probably see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad