Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t get why it’s good news that he’s watching practice, did we think he was bedridden?
I didn't really understand either. But Granato said that he might play vs Arizona already, which is definitely good news. Even if he doesn't play vs Arizona, he'll probably be ready to play Vegas and Boston where he'll be needed.

I did. I figured he was beheaded and the team just called it an upper body injury
No one has seen Samuelsson and Jokiharju in the city for a long time. :sarcasm:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I didn't really understand either. But Granato said that he might play vs Arizona already, which is definitely good news. Even if he doesn't play vs Arizona, he'll probably be ready to play Vegas and Boston where he'll be needed.

No one has seen Samuelsson and Jokiharju in the city for a long time. :sarcasm:

They’re hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Dont most teams designate concussions as UBIs and not head injuries to protect the player from being head hunted or whatever? Not that a broken face is much better but it fits the designation and what we saw.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Their knee-jerk response was Phil Housley.

But then Scotty Bowman, Dominik Hasek and Pat LaFontaine reconsidered.

As much offense as Housley generated, he was a pedestrian defender.

Bowman noted Mike Ramsey was the inverse of Housley and shouldn’t be the answer either, so maybe Jim Schoenfeld, maybe John Van Boxmeer, maybe Jerry Korab, maybe even Hannu Virta.

LaFontaine mentioned Doug Bodger, while Hasek endorsed Alexei Zhitnik.

The question: Who is the greatest two-way defenseman in Buffalo Sabres history?

For most organizations, the topic summons one obvious name or an enjoyable debate over multiple stars. Yet in Buffalo, where the sport’s greatest coach wonders if Hannu Virta should be on the list, nobody has owned the precious two-way role.

Perhaps it’s time to ponder Rasmus Dahlin already is the answer.

“He’s a threat,” Bowman said. “He has taken a big step as a hybrid player.”

The No. 1 pick in 2018 is only 22 years old, but his overall game has vaulted him into the Norris Trophy conversation. Schoenfeld was the closest a Sabre has gotten to the highest defenseman honor, placing third in 1980. Housley finished no better than fifth for the Sabres and was third with the Winnipeg Jets in 1992.

“Rasmus reminds me,” LaFontaine texted, “of a combination of Brian Leetch and Nicklas Lidstrom.”
This part cracked me up:

Back to Housley’s signature hit and Ramsey’s most remarkable scoring streak.

Google searches of “Phil Housley” plus “greatest check” or “biggest hit” return zero results.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If I´m a member of the Professional Writiers Association, that last game that highlighted Makar and Dahlin was the first time I had the thought: perhaps Dahlin is better?

And I am not a Buffalo Sabres fan.
Some of us already said this before the start of the season. Dahlin is more versatile than Makar. He does not fly on ice like Makar, but he can do everything else. Play defense, attack, physical game, play with grit, shoot, pass.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Some of us already said this before the start of the season. Dahlin is more versatile than Makar. He does not fly on ice like Makar, but he can do everything else. Play defense, attack, physical game, play with grit, shoot, pass.
..more creativity in the offensive zone. I think he has more options to choose from because he sees the ice differently, while Makar is more a straight ahead kind of player, similar to MacKinnon. Dahlin is more subtle imo, similar to players like Kucherov or Datsyuk.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Work to do, plenty of time to be a Norris D. On pace for 53 points on a very young, limited talent team with no goaltending.

Karlsson comps can go, he just doesn't have that Cale Makar acceleration.

Lidstrom still a perfectly reasonable goal.
I stand by this, despite the mocking it got then, or may continue to get.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I stand by this, despite the mocking it got then, or may continue to get.
Lidstrom is the second best defenseman ever. I don’t know about that but I’d love to see it, and I’ve had Dahls back he would work out through the lows and highs. I can see a couple Norris trophies coming, the team hardware is what really matters when comparing to the greats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad