Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You were insinuating that Dahlin wouldn't accept a max term contract which is why Adams HAD to bridge him.
I did no such thing. Saying Dahlin and his agent have a say doesn’t mean he had to be bridged. Nor does it mean he wouldn’t sign long term.
I didn't say that Dahlin would definitely sign the same contract as Heiskanen. But he's Dahlin's nearest comparable & that would have been my opener if i was GM. I don't think he's turning down anything much bigger than that.
The problem is Heiskanen really isn’t a good comparable. Their first 3 years prior to their current contracts………..

Heiskanen
82gms —-> 33pts
68gms —-> 35pts (42pt pace)
55gms —-> 27pts (40pt pace)

Dahlin
82gms ——> 44pts
59gms ——> 40pts (56pt pace)
56gms ——> 23pts (34 pt pace)

-Dahlin’s rookie year was on par or better than all 3 of Heiskanen’s seasons.
-Dahlin’s 2nd year was much better than anything Heiskanen did. That was with Krueger f***ing with him generally and his 5v5 ice time dropped 2mins a night from rookie year.
- His 3rd season was an organizational clusterf*** that dragged his production down. That was the case for several young players until the last 20gms or so after Granato took over.

Dahlin and his agent know or at the very least believe his upside potential is much higher than Heiskanen’s. They also know how much Krueger and the f***ed up Covid season negatively impacted his development.

Knowing that, why would they take Heiskanen or similar money for a long term extension? Why wouldn’t Dahlin bet on himself (like McAvoy/Werenski before him) and cash in two years down the line?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I did no such thing. Saying Dahlin and his agent have a say doesn’t mean he had to be bridged. Nor does it mean he wouldn’t sign long term.

The problem is Heiskanen really isn’t a good comparable. Their first 3 years prior to their current contracts………..

Heiskanen
82gms —-> 33pts
68gms —-> 35pts (42pt pace)
55gms —-> 27pts (40pt pace)

Dahlin
82gms ——> 44pts
59gms ——> 40pts (56pt pace)
56gms ——> 23pts (34 pt pace)

-Dahlin’s rookie year was on par or better than all 3 of Heiskanen’s seasons.
-Dahlin’s 2nd year was much better than anything Heiskanen did. That was with Krueger f***ing with him generally and his 5v5 ice time dropped 2mins a night from rookie year.
- His 3rd season was an organizational clusterf*** that dragged his production down. That was the case for several young players until the last 20gms or so after Granato took over.

Dahlin and his agent know or at the very least believe his upside potential is much higher than Heiskanen’s. They also know how much Krueger and the f***ed up Covid season negatively impacted his development.

Knowing that, why would they take Heiskanen or similar money for a long term extension? Why wouldn’t Dahlin bet on himself (like McAvoy/Werenski before him) and cash in two years down the line?
If you only look at points then Dahlin is better / more productive. Heiskanen is better defensively & this is what he's being paid for. They aren't perfect comparisons - but IMO the closest possible at the time.

If you want to use someone else - Makar signed for 9m/per albeit slightly shorter term - being a year older i would equate it to 7 x 9m for Dahlin. You would have a hard time finding anyone who thought Dahlin was/is measurably better than Makar. Yet the AAV is in that similar range. I'd have happily signed Dahlin to that deal too.

As i said - i have a hard time believing Dahlin wouldn't have taken that type of deal if it were on the table.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Rasmus Dahlin, Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres haven’t made the playoffs since 2011. That’s a well-worn fact. Over the past decade-plus. though, there haven’t been many bigger reasons for optimism than their 16-9-3 finish last season. Things are getting better in Buffalo, and Dahlin doesn’t need to look far for proof of how the city will react when meaningful games return.

“I’ve been talking about it today,” he said. “The thing that makes me most excited about (improving) and stuff is — you see the Bills. They made the playoffs and it’s thousands of people waiting outside the airport. It’s such a passionate sports town. That’s what makes me most excited.”

Dahlin, the No. 1 pick in 2018 and a new entry on The Athletic’s list of the top 100 NHL players this year, took a major step forward last season, as did several of his teammates. “We only got better and better and better,” he said, “and we ended the year in the best way possible.”

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What a perfect answer. this guy gets it.

“The thing that makes me most excited about (improving) and stuff is — you see the Bills. They made the playoffs and it’s thousands of people waiting outside the airport. It’s such a passionate sports town. That’s what makes me most excited.”​

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Dahlin is criminally underrated due to his "deer in headlight" season under the helm of Kreuger. Once a real coach got hold of him, he let him finally play free and to his strengths. Something that he hadn't really had even in parts of his rookie year. This year will be more of the second half of Dahlin. While Tuch may be the heart and soul of the group. Dahlin is going to be the it factor. Bring it on!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This video is sick.

In the comments...

Capture.PNG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad