Value of: Rasmus Andersson to Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Andersson has one of the best contracts in the league.

Going to a team that might maybe make the playoffs is a complete waste of his contract value. A better team would surely offer more. Montreal would be stupid to be the highest bid.
Just for reference;
Say the Habs give up either the ‘25 1st round pick or the ‘26 1st round pick, do you see those as having the same value as say Dallas’ 25 1st round pick?

As far as I know, the range is vastly superior in value for the Habs offer than Dallas’s. Dallas would have to offer both 25 and 26 to have the value of just one of those Habs first rounders.

Don’t forget that Habs own Pitts 2nd round pick in 25 and Cbus 2 round pick in 26. Both those have significant value, resembling a late first and trouncing any late 2nd rounders.

Reactions: jfhabs

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It will never happen as Montreal will not pay the price to get him.
The END
What if they offered Josh Anderson and an unprotected 1st? The 1st was for Montreal taking the extra S in Anders(s)on.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Just for reference;
Say the Habs give up either the ‘25 1st round pick or the ‘26 1st round pick, do you see those as having the same value as say Dallas’ 25 1st round pick?

As far as I know, the range is vastly superior in value for the Habs offer than Dallas’s. Dallas would have to offer both 25 and 26 to have the value of just one of those Habs first rounders.

Don’t forget that Habs own Pitts 2nd round pick in 25 and Cbus 2 round pick in 26. Both those have significant value, resembling a late first and trouncing any late 2nd rounders.

Well ya I'd value the Habs 1st more. But I'd want 2.5 or 3 of Dallas's first round value. What's the Habs worth? 1.5 times theirs maybe.

I'd still want more and Habs are unlikely to pay since so much of his value is 2 years of low AAV. They can't effectively use a lot of his value. Then in three years when they are hopefully competitive he asks for a 9M contract. Andersson making 9M isn't nearly as exciting

Reactions: Gustave

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
No way habs give up what it would take to get him. The main reason is because of his contract. If he had 6 years left at 6.5 then sure, but he is a top 10-15 RHD who is way underpaid. He will be looking for 10m + on his next contract in 2 years which just doesn't fit our cap structure.

Habs best offer would be the CGY 1st back, which depending on how FLA is doing might be better than theyd get at next years deadline. Many teams who want to throw 80m at him would beat that though no doubt.

Kudos to the guy that has us giving up Guhle, Reinbacker, Barron , Mailloux, and 3 firsts though. epic troll job, thanks for making the 4 2cnds coming back unprotected lmao

The idea of acquiring Andersson is good in a vacuum tube.

But if you look at the bigger picture, you're right, it would be a total mismanagement of assets in actual Habs situation.

As you said there's only 2 years left on Andersson's advantageous contract, but he'll be 30 at the beginning of his next one.

Habs won't be contender in this 2 years span and since his actual contract is cheaper than his value, for sure he won't accept a discount on his next one.

From what I observed, if I was an actual NHL GM, I would stay away from that kind of situation where a good player becomes a UFA around 30. Those players are at the end of their peak and typically want big money for 8 years.

So the risk are high that he'll be a salary cap anchor around the middle of his next contract

In the Gallagher/Price mold.

Andersson would be a good acquisition for a team in win now mode.

Reactions: viceroy and ole ole

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s not a trade that makes sense for Montreal. He doesn’t fit their timeline and they’ve invested heavily in D with draft picks. Winnipeg or St Louis are better trade partners. Maybe Minnesota?
If Dorion didnt blow all of Ottawas prime assets on redundant players like Debrincat and Chychrun it would have been a great fit.

Habs don't need Rasmus at all.
Look at Habs RD this year.

Guhle
Savard
Mailloux
Barron
Rivals the 2016 Nashville predators for sure.

Ledge And Dairy

Absolute garbage. That is a big offer and while it might be beaten it wouldn't be easy to.
Actually Calgary who is going nowhere should probably take that offer immediately. Of course it would never be offered.
Yes it would. Dangling out Calgary's own top 10 protected 1st back to them is a red herring, especially since Calgary will be Andersson-less after a deal like this. So quite frankly unless Florida completely flops and keeps their own 1st Calgary is all but guaranteed to have a top 10 pick and thus keep that 1st.

Barron is at best on par with Pachal right now, he's no longer waiver exempt and hasn't proven he is NHL caliber. So as of right now he is borderline waiver fodder.

Beck is a solid prospect but projects as middle 6 (but likely 3rd line) center, his main calling card is his 2-way game. Kapanen is a step or 2 below Beck in terms of potential.

So in reality that offer comes out to a likely late 1st and B+ prospect for 2 years of Rasmus Andersson at his excellent cap hit. So yes that is definitely a weak offer and yes quite easily beaten

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
They'd match that quite easily.

And looking at the Seth Jarvis contract, don't be surprised if the Oilers manage to get all three of those big fish locked up to less offensive cap numbers than people expect using the same method.

Bouchard has no reason to leave Edmonton, who actually is a Cup contender for a rebuilding Montreal where his game suffers from the immediate downgrade of top end talent.
Well your wrong on 1 of those top fish. It cost 14 mil. We'll see on the other 2

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well your wrong on 1 of those top fish. It cost 14 mil. We'll see on the other 2
The guy I responded to suggested he'd get 15. Draisaitl got what most people said he would. The three should get done longterm for a shade under $40m.

Now we stop talking about Edmonton.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The guy I responded to suggested he'd get 15. Draisaitl got what most people said he would. The three should get done longterm for a shade under $40m.

Now we stop talking about Edmonton.
40 mil isn't less offensive cap numbers than people expected like you suggested. But i do agree we stop talking about Edmonton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Habs don't need Rasmus at all.
Look at Habs RD this year.

Guhle
Savard
Mailloux
Barron
And the left side is what? Matheson, X, Struble, and Hutson?

Habs realistically, need more youngsters to establish themselves. Better pick 2-3 of them to get 70 plus NHL games in 24/25 than try to evenly get 4-5 of them into NHL action. Mailloux, Hutson, Struble, Reinbacher, and Guhle for sure are waiver exempt. But, Guhle isn't going to Laval. X, not sure if he is or is not exmpt. Barron for sure isn't.
The Habs are better off picking who their top 6 are going to be. Matheson, Savard, Guhle, and whichever other 3 they want to get regular action. 7th Dman, likely with the #4-6 guys try to swap in with each other or an injury occurs to the #1-3 guys and then they all can get into the lineup.
But, no reason to carry 8 Dmen. Better off letting #7 get a bunch of ice time in the A than sitting in the press box in the NHL if they aren't going to evenly distribute games between them when the lineup is healthy.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yes it would. Dangling out Calgary's own top 10 protected 1st back to them is a red herring, especially since Calgary will be Andersson-less after a deal like this. So quite frankly unless Florida completely flops and keeps their own 1st Calgary is all but guaranteed to have a top 10 pick and thus keep that 1st.

Barron is at best on par with Pachal right now, he's no longer waiver exempt and hasn't proven he is NHL caliber. So as of right now he is borderline waiver fodder.

Beck is a solid prospect but projects as middle 6 (but likely 3rd line) center, his main calling card is his 2-way game. Kapanen is a step or 2 below Beck in terms of potential.

So in reality that offer comes out to a likely late 1st and B+ prospect for 2 years of Rasmus Andersson at his excellent cap hit. So yes that is definitely a weak offer and yes quite easily beaten
Florida is clearly not the same team as they were last year. They lost key players and a lot of depth. That first will likely range in the 18-22 pick.

Beck is a solid prospect. As you said, he’s more likely to be a top 9 center when its all said and done, which is quite valuable in this league. He’s probably very close to being NHL ready.

I’m not exactly sure what you expect to get for Andersson but he’s got two years left on his deal and then will likely sign an extension that will age poorly as he start declining. I doubt you can get a grade A prospect + 1st round pick ++ for him. Highly, highly unlikely

Ledge And Dairy

Florida is clearly not the same team as they were last year. They lost key players and a lot of depth. That first will likely range in the 18-22 pick.

Beck is a solid prospect. As you said, he’s more likely to be a top 9 center when its all said and done, which is quite valuable in this league. He’s probably very close to being NHL ready.

I’m not exactly sure what you expect to get for Andersson but he’s got two years left on his deal and then will likely sign an extension that will age poorly as he start declining. I doubt you can get a grade A prospect + 1st round pick ++ for him. Highly, highly unlikely
18-22? I'll take hot takes for 200 Alex. The Panthers won their division with 110 points last year and Nashville who drafted 22nd was a wild card team with 99 points. There is no way you are expecting them to be that or worse. Are they as deep a team as last year? No but they are still a very good team. Excluding Tarasenko they still have 8/9 top 9 forwards, and even before they acquired Tank they were running a 4th liner in Cousins there. They lost Montour and OEL notably on D but in terms of WAR they only provided +1.8 wins. If anything the most notable loss is Stolarz but they seem quite confident that Knight can step up. If Florida doesn't get at least 100 points this season I will be genuinely shocked

Beck if he reaches max potential will be a good 2nd line center. But as you say he is probably not that far off NHL ready as is so projecting him as a 3C is simply what he will most likely become.

You Habs fans keep getting stuck up on the extension, that isn't relevant here at all. If Andersson still had 3+ years left on his deal there simply wouldn't even be a consideration of moving him because of how valuable that cap hit is for what he provides. 2 years at 4.55M is fantastic for a team that wants to win in the next 2 years. As I've said in previous posts here that is why this doesn't make sense for the Habs at all since they are no where close to that 2 year window. On the other hand teams like Dallas, the aforementioned Florida, Tampa, Vegas, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, and Nashville are all viewed as having the potential to win the cup in the next few years, as well as having a want for a top RHD.

Lets take Tampa for example. If the Bolts offered up their 2026 1st + Connor Geekie, along with Sheary for cap reasons. That's instantly a better offer than Beck + Florida's 1st.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
18-22? I'll take hot takes for 200 Alex. The Panthers won their division with 110 points last year and Nashville who drafted 22nd was a wild card team with 99 points. There is no way you are expecting them to be that or worse. Are they as deep a team as last year? No but they are still a very good team. Excluding Tarasenko they still have 8/9 top 9 forwards, and even before they acquired Tank they were running a 4th liner in Cousins there. They lost Montour and OEL notably on D but in terms of WAR they only provided +1.8 wins. If anything the most notable loss is Stolarz but they seem quite confident that Knight can step up. If Florida doesn't get at least 100 points this season I will be genuinely shocked

Beck if he reaches max potential will be a good 2nd line center. But as you say he is probably not that far off NHL ready as is so projecting him as a 3C is simply what he will most likely become.

You Habs fans keep getting stuck up on the extension, that isn't relevant here at all. If Andersson still had 3+ years left on his deal there simply wouldn't even be a consideration of moving him because of how valuable that cap hit is for what he provides. 2 years at 4.55M is fantastic for a team that wants to win in the next 2 years. As I've said in previous posts here that is why this doesn't make sense for the Habs at all since they are no where close to that 2 year window. On the other hand teams like Dallas, the aforementioned Florida, Tampa, Vegas, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, and Nashville are all viewed as having the potential to win the cup in the next few years, as well as having a want for a top RHD.

Lets take Tampa for example. If the Bolts offered up their 2026 1st + Connor Geekie, along with Sheary for cap reasons. That's instantly a better offer than Beck + Florida's 1st.
Only 11 points separated Nashville (22nd) to Florida last year as you said. That's only 5 wins (or losses). Losing two top 4 D without replacing them will more than likely play in the balance. They are likely to lose more tight games than last year, that's for sure. They also just won the cup and had a short summer. There's a good chance we see regression from Florida this year and 11 points is quite realistic here.

Of course if a team like Tampa decide they want to throw Geekie and a first on the table Andersson is likely gone but again, Brisebois is on record saying he made the Sergachev trade to get younger so I doubt he will want to use these assets he just acquired for Andersson.

I mentioned the contract because it is quite relevant. 2 years left on a deal is probably the worst time to sell on a player. You can't negotiate an extension yet and you only get the player for two playoff runs. Andersson is also at this weird age where he's currently in his prime but you know you will extend a soon to be declining assets for a long time once he is up in two years.

My point was not that you should jump on the Beck + 1st + trade because it is so good you can't pass up on, I just wanted to point out that in terms of pure value, this is pretty close to where Andersson should land if he is traded soon.

The problem you're facing is the teams that are interested to acquire Andersson doesn't necessarily have the assets you're looking for and the team that does probably doesn't have that much interest in a trade like this (Montreal included) leaving you exposed to offers like the one we've seen from some other Habs fans - A mid to late first round pick, an excellent but not wow prospect at a key position and another asset which lost a bit of value recently but could still amount to something if given the opportunity and patience. Maybe another pick and a contract to balance things out but nothing too valuable added on top of the original package.

Ledge And Dairy

Only 11 points separated Nashville (22nd) to Florida last year as you said. That's only 5 wins (or losses). Losing two top 4 D without replacing them will more than likely play in the balance. They are likely to lose more tight games than last year, that's for sure. They also just won the cup and had a short summer. There's a good chance we see regression from Florida this year and 11 points is quite realistic here.

Of course if a team like Tampa decide they want to throw Geekie and a first on the table Andersson is likely gone but again, Brisebois is on record saying he made the Sergachev trade to get younger so I doubt he will want to use these assets he just acquired for Andersson.

I mentioned the contract because it is quite relevant. 2 years left on a deal is probably the worst time to sell on a player. You can't negotiate an extension yet and you only get the player for two playoff runs. Andersson is also at this weird age where he's currently in his prime but you know you will extend a soon to be declining assets for a long time once he is up in two years.

My point was not that you should jump on the Beck + 1st + trade because it is so good you can't pass up on, I just wanted to point out that in terms of pure value, this is pretty close to where Andersson should land if he is traded soon.

The problem you're facing is the teams that are interested to acquire Andersson doesn't necessarily have the assets you're looking for and the team that does probably doesn't have that much interest in a trade like this (Montreal included) leaving you exposed to offers like the one we've seen from some other Habs fans - A mid to late first round pick, an excellent but not wow prospect at a key position and another asset which lost a bit of value recently but could still amount to something if given the opportunity and patience. Maybe another pick and a contract to balance things out but nothing too valuable added on top of the original package.
I don't think you understood what I said at all. Yes they were 11 points ahead of Nashville but that's what you described as your expected best result for them. The Islanders drafted 18th last year with 94 points. The main focus here should be that you are calling them a bonafide wildcard team, a pretender in other words. That means 3 teams from their own division have to finish above them. It's not impossible for any of Tampa, Boston, or Toronto to do that but I would put money that Florida finishes ahead of at minimum 1 of those teams. Boston for example, while a much more rounded team for the playoffs with their offseason additions are going to have a harder time winning as many games without 2 starting goalies. Toronto could very well win the division if they get good goaltending but that's still an "if." Tampa was the wild card team of those 4 last year but their roster had some pretty relevant changes this summer too.

I used the Tampa trade as purely an example for a base model. Whether JBB wants to make a trade like that or not is irrelevant. As for the value in that deal it is not an instant done deal trade as you say but closer to Andersson's trade value than the initial offer we are talking about.

Actually you are completely wrong in regard to the term here. A player with 2 years remaining on a contract is at peak trade value. 2 years is not a rental so a team has a strong sample size to determine if they are a long term fit, and it's not too long where if the player isn't a fit they are then stuck with the contract. We can just look at Tampa again as an example. The Bolts paid a 1st and a high potential prospect for Coleman for 2 years and they won 2 cups because of it. On the other hand Vegas basically paid the same thing for 7 years of Hertl with retention.

My point is that is really isn't as close as you think. Beck is fine, a 1st in the mid 20's is fine, but no that is not enough for Andersson. You mentioned team assets but nearly every team in the league has a prospect of Beck's calibre and every team has a 1st in the next 3 years. That really isn't a hard price to beat at all, especially when we are talking about a premium position.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think you understood what I said at all. Yes they were 11 points ahead of Nashville but that's what you described as your expected best result for them. The Islanders drafted 18th last year with 94 points. The main focus here should be that you are calling them a bonafide wildcard team, a pretender in other words. That means 3 teams from their own division have to finish above them. It's not impossible for any of Tampa, Boston, or Toronto to do that but I would put money that Florida finishes ahead of at minimum 1 of those teams. Boston for example, while a much more rounded team for the playoffs with their offseason additions are going to have a harder time winning as many games without 2 starting goalies. Toronto could very well win the division if they get good goaltending but that's still an "if." Tampa was the wild card team of those 4 last year but their roster had some pretty relevant changes this summer too.

I used the Tampa trade as purely an example for a base model. Whether JBB wants to make a trade like that or not is irrelevant. As for the value in that deal it is not an instant done deal trade as you say but closer to Andersson's trade value than the initial offer we are talking about.

Actually you are completely wrong in regard to the term here. A player with 2 years remaining on a contract is at peak trade value. 2 years is not a rental so a team has a strong sample size to determine if they are a long term fit, and it's not too long where if the player isn't a fit they are then stuck with the contract. We can just look at Tampa again as an example. The Bolts paid a 1st and a high potential prospect for Coleman for 2 years and they won 2 cups because of it. On the other hand Vegas basically paid the same thing for 7 years of Hertl with retention.

My point is that is really isn't as close as you think. Beck is fine, a 1st in the mid 20's is fine, but no that is not enough for Andersson. You mentioned team assets but nearly every team in the league has a prospect of Beck's calibre and every team has a 1st in the next 3 years. That really isn't a hard price to beat at all, especially when we are talking about a premium position.
But there’s a difference between having the assets and willing to part with the assets. Coleman was once in a decade deal and his real value was his cap hit being less than the league minimum. Tampa Bay was also the only team to do such a deal in the past decade +

Would the right team be willing to part with a Beck caliber prospect and a first round pick for Andersson? Absolutely. You seem to be asking for a lot more though, which I don’t think any team would be willing to do. I’m guessing two first and a Beck caliber prospect would be your ask? I doubt anyone would bite at that price, even with Andersson at 50% off.

Beck would probably be top 3 prospect in about half of the pools in the league and his value is probably in the mid to high teens first round pick. Adding two first on top (or the equivalent) is unheard of and historically no player in Andersson position has ever returned that.

Ledge And Dairy

But there’s a difference between having the assets and willing to part with the assets. Coleman was once in a decade deal and his real value was his cap hit being less than the league minimum. Tampa Bay was also the only team to do such a deal in the past decade +

Would the right team be willing to part with a Beck caliber prospect and a first round pick for Andersson? Absolutely. You seem to be asking for a lot more though, which I don’t think any team would be willing to do. I’m guessing two first and a Beck caliber prospect would be your ask? I doubt anyone would bite at that price, even with Andersson at 50% off.

Beck would probably be top 3 prospect in about half of the pools in the league and his value is probably in the mid to high teens first round pick. Adding two first on top (or the equivalent) is unheard of and historically no player in Andersson position has ever returned that.
Coleman came with zero retention so I'm not sure where you are getting that "below league minimum" idea from.

No I would not ask for 2 1sts and Beck, I literally provided an example of a more acceptable offer earlier. I even made a proposal earlier in this thread of the Habs 1st (protected) + Hage (who I consider a similar but slightly better prospect than Beck). It's really simple if a late 1st and a B+ prospect is not enticing enough then upgrade one of the 2 pieces, hence why I said Geekie and a 1st is a good base. Geekie is a better prospect than Beck, thus the value is more in line with what Calgary would want. I personally still rank Geekie above Hage but they are fairly close.

Again Beck is a B+ prospect yes there are some teams where that would be top 3 like Edmonton, Colorado, or Boston, but there are also a lot of competing teams where he wouldn't like Dallas, Winnipeg, or Nashville.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Coleman came with zero retention so I'm not sure where you are getting that "below league minimum" idea from.

No I would not ask for 2 1sts and Beck, I literally provided an example of a more acceptable offer earlier. I even made a proposal earlier in this thread of the Habs 1st (protected) + Hage (who I consider a similar but slightly better prospect than Beck). It's really simple if a late 1st and a B+ prospect is not enticing enough then upgrade one of the 2 pieces, hence why I said Geekie and a 1st is a good base. Geekie is a better prospect than Beck, thus the value is more in line with what Calgary would want. I personally still rank Geekie above Hage but they are fairly close.

Again Beck is a B+ prospect yes there are some teams where that would be top 3 like Edmonton, Colorado, or Boston, but there are also a lot of competing teams where he wouldn't like Dallas, Winnipeg, or Nashville.
You're right, I'm not sure why I thought Coleman came to Tampa Bay with 50% retention.

I did not read the whole thread either, so obviously missed your proposal. I also agree with you on the prospect rankings, although I don't think the gap between Geekie, Hage and Beck is that big. Both Geekie and Hage has a higher boom or bust (therefor risk) while Beck has a higher floor and is the most NHL ready out of the 3 so he is a safer pick. Chances are Beck will end up a 3 and both Geekie and Hage will end up a 2. At this point, it's all about risk and what your management is comfortable with.

Your ask isn't unreasonable although very unlikely. I think it's too much and those kinds of trades are usually quantity for quality and rarely quality for quality. History has showed us that.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
- Heightened value due to being on a team-friendly deal
- Only two years left to UFA, during which Montreal isn't even expected to make the playoffs
- Will be on the other side of 30 when comes the time to sign his next deal

Seems like the kind of player the Canadiens should absolutely not pursue, since he'd be obviously worth more to some other team than to the Canadiens, unless he can be obtained next season for something similar to what was paid for Jeff Petry some 10 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad