Speculation: Ranking the RFA Signings

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thats a good point. I hadn’t thought about the timing of the CBA’s expiration.

Still, I wouldn’t have expected him to actually sign the QO either way, just use it as leverage. Regardless of the CBA, I think he will and will end up as one of the higher AAV’s of this group on his next deal.
It is very likely. The hefty one year QO that would have to be tendered "on the later of June 25 or the first Monday after the Entry Draft" puts a nice set deadline on the team to get the extension done before that.

Reactions: tucker3434

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Isn't that Aho boy a first line center? I hear they command a premium.

Reactions: CDN24

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Just quickly, for the record:

ES P/GP:

Nylander - 0.51
Larkin - 0.48

PP P/60:

Nylander - 5.91
Larkin - 2.44

Nylander was a better player at time of signing, most notably on the PP. Nylander is paid 850k more but his contract buys 1 extra year.

ES P/GP:

Matthews - 0.73
Eichel - 0.48

PP P/60:

Matthews - 6.47
Eichel - 6.30

Not to mention literally doubling Eichel's ES G/GP pace. Matthews was a much better player at time of signing, most notably at ES, and signed 2 years later.

ES P/GP:

Marner - 0.63
Aho - 0.55

PP P/60:

Marner - 7.19
Aho - 5.37

Marner was a better player at time of signing, on both the PP and at ES. The gap widens when we consider EN points.

Reactions: Torontoborn

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
[MOD] no doubt. Bring up the Pens and Hawks contracts and fail to mention where the cap was at the time. What percentage of the cap were those contracts at the time vs where Matthews or Marner are now. If you could comprehend what I was saying, you'd understand that I'm talking about moving a Nylander for a cheaper option that may not put up the same amount of points, but it's close enough. Its moving expensive assets for cheaper ones. But this is going over your head. Allowing one of Muzzin or Barrie walk is the reality of the cap. It's not about screwing up the cap, it's about the fact that it's almost impossible to keep 3 expensive dmen. How many teams, even ones with cap space, can afford Muzzin and Barrie and Rielly and 3 other dmen? If you can pencil in 3 or 4 great defenders you're almost always gonna have to give at least one up within a few years. It's called a cap. Thanks for coming out.

Please stop proving my point, leave something for me... kane and toews 1 Stanley cup ring sign for 11% of the cap each... Matthew's and marner 0 cup rings sign for 14.5% each...

Before you decided to jump in on my conversation and try and defend your leafs, the discussion I was having wasnt that the leafs are bad, on the contrary if Andersen stays healthy and Boston doesnt make the playoffs they have a good shot of going on a run... this discussion was about how the Matthew's, marner, and nylander contracts have significantly hampered the teams ability to sign, or attract, or promote players because they've severely overpaid their kids... you telling me that to ice a team next year or even later this year, the leafs options are to trade away contracts they just signed for cheaper weaker options and let prime players walk into free agency, just illustrates my point. And with basically nothing in the cupboard but bracco who I believe is yet to play an nhl game And no 1st rd this year or last the team cant supplement top level elcs into the roster which to my point will diminish the window

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
kane and toews 1 Stanley cup ring sign for 11% of the cap each...
Kane and Toews did not have a Cup when they signed, and were worse players.

Matthew's and marner 0 cup rings sign for 14.5% each...
Neither signed for 14.5%, and Marner signed for an extra year.

And with basically nothing in the cupboard but bracco
This is such an uninformed analysis of the Leaf's prospect pool.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Look no on will deny marner's contract is **** but our cap situation is not messed. Unless of course you think you are smarter than pridham re: the cap which i highly, highly doubt.

Smarter maybe, more handsome definately, more aware of the salary cap clearly

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Nobody has even mentioned Carlo. $2.85M for what he brings, even if it's only two years, was one of the best signings this summer, especially considering the Bruins situation. The kid is already one of the best shutdown d-men out there.

Reactions: The Macho Man

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hate to say it, but McAvoy and Carlo were the two best deals of the offseason. Imagine getting a good top pair for like 7m...

Reactions: b in vancouver

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
1) McAvoy - 3 x 4.9 (7.3 in final year of deal) and Rantanen 6 x 9.25 (have to consider the quality of the player - might have been best RFA)

2) Connor - 7 x 7.14 (length makes this real good - final year 7 mill)

3) Point

4) Laine / Boeser / Meier / Tkachuk / Marner - All pretty much the same to me. Originally I thought the Meier deal was better than it was. Marner has more years but the AAV is so much higher. Laine / Boeser / Tkachuk all need to get qualified at a high AAV.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Look no on will deny marner's contract is **** but our cap situation is not messed. Unless of course you think you are smarter than pridham re: the cap which i highly, highly doubt.

That's true if the current team is a championship level team. Because it's hard to imagine them not being forced to take a step back next year, either by trading Nylander to replace a defenseman, or just going with bad top-4.

It's sort of a "This is what we have, and I hope to God it's good enough," situation, because there's really not a lot of flexibility if something needs to be changed/improved.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
only thing that changes is that the didnt have their cups at that point
Or the best of their ELC seasons. Or any of the playoff accomplishments you mentioned.

Kane and Toews were worse players than both Matthews and Marner at time of signing.

still made a huge run the year beforehand
The only team Chicago faced before they signed that was the quality of any of the teams Toronto has faced was Detroit, and they got embarrassed by them.

Also the other guys you mentioned Russian names I dont want to spell, are they making the team for merit or because you can't afford anyone else??
Mikyehev and Timashov have been great, especially Mikyehev. Both made the team on merit.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Hate to say it, but McAvoy and Carlo were the two best deals of the offseason. Imagine getting a good top pair for like 7m...

The two kids pretty much looked around the dressing room and some of the sweetheart deals these other guys are on and figured - o.k., we have a chance to win a Cup with this veteran core so we'll make it work.

You have your top two RHD, and two of the best young RHD in the league, for the next couple years combining under $8M. Lots of people thought McAvoy alone was going to be $8M+ and that Carlo would be $5M.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Or the best of their ELC seasons. Or any of the playoff accomplishments you mentioned.

Kane and Toews were worse players than both Matthews and Marner at time of signing.

The only team Chicago faced before they signed that was the quality of any of the teams Toronto has faced was Detroit, and they got embarrassed by them.

Mikyehev and Timashov have been great, especially Mikyehev. Both made the team on merit.

I don't want to chime in too much about the T.O. situation, however this doesn't look to be changing in the next few years. They're in a tough spot. You can nearly forget the rest of the league when talking about The Leafs as until they prove otherwise they're still chasing Tampa and Boston and you can say how long their contracts are or when they were signed and stuff, however both those teams are chalk-full of very affordable contracts over the next few seasons and have more flexibility than The Leafs.
You can order them 1-2-3 however you wish but The Bolts and Bruins aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe The Leafs will be better than them as soon as this year however both those teams are still going to be some of the top teams in the league that you're going to either have to win the division against or beat in the playoffs most likely.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I understand that clarkson and Horton will be on the LTIR, the only guy you may not bring back is ceci, who says Barrie wants to play in Toronto with that media and his type of play, his buddy bissonnette already said that situation isnt a good fit, but hes goi g to cost 8 mill per, which with his hit now 2.75 blus ceci's 4 doesnt equal 8... so now you have to lose muzzin or Barrie, which hurts the team, dermott may be injured but hes still going to want money and knows he can get it from dubas... Torontos cup window is this season, after that it is shrinking quick, they dont have the ELC co tracts to come in and make a huge difference outside of sandin, and they arent getting and 1st rd picks replenishing the system for the last 2 years
Barrie knows no team will pay him as much as the Leafs will. Lol

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Well my delusional friend, you have no significant contracts coming off the books for next year, you can't dress a 23 man roster, cant add anything at the deadline without moving a roster player out, and your entire defense minus Reilly and sandin has to resigned next year with only the cap raising to be able to afford them unless dubas can convince them to take pay cuts or a pay freeze in the coming years which his track record doesnt suggest, you have no 1st rd pick this year because you didnt have enough cap space to sign you players this year... it's in shambles

LOL!! Look who is delusional. Or maybe thick as a brick.

Ceci, Spezza, Mancarin, Barrie and Muzzin come off the books after this year, so there's around 13 million freed up.......MORE than enough to re-sign Barrie for good money, and to pay for Sandin and Liljegren to replace Muzzin and Ceci.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I don't want to chime in too much about the T.O. situation, however this doesn't look to be changing in the next few years. They're in a tough spot. You can nearly forget the rest of the league when talking about The Leafs as until they prove otherwise they're still chasing Tampa and Boston and you can say how long their contracts are or when they were signed and stuff, however both those teams are chalk-full of very affordable contracts over the next few seasons and have more flexibility than The Leafs.
You can order them 1-2-3 however you wish but The Bolts and Bruins aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe The Leafs will be better than them as soon as this year however both those teams are still going to be some of the top teams in the league that you're going to either have to win the division against or beat in the playoffs most likely.

Many teams are, that's what happens to all contending teams in the cap era. Every off season will be different.

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
Please stop proving my point, leave something for me... kane and toews 1 Stanley cup ring sign for 11% of the cap each... Matthew's and marner 0 cup rings sign for 14.5% each...

Before you decided to jump in on my conversation and try and defend your leafs, the discussion I was having wasnt that the leafs are bad, on the contrary if Andersen stays healthy and Boston doesnt make the playoffs they have a good shot of going on a run... this discussion was about how the Matthew's, marner, and nylander contracts have significantly hampered the teams ability to sign, or attract, or promote players because they've severely overpaid their kids... you telling me that to ice a team next year or even later this year, the leafs options are to trade away contracts they just signed for cheaper weaker options and let prime players walk into free agency, just illustrates my point. And with basically nothing in the cupboard but bracco who I believe is yet to play an nhl game And no 1st rd this year or last the team cant supplement top level elcs into the roster which to my point will diminish the window
You're not acknowledging that the only players with NMC or NTC in their contracts are Tavares and Andersen. Unless someone has a terrible year, it's looking like we have zero untradeable contracts. If we traded a guy like Nylander to make cap space for signing our guys on D, our forward group is still one of the best in the league.
The sky is not falling when you have that kind of flexibility and no untradeable contracts. Everyone thought our D this year would be horrible but Dubas made it work because he could shake things up.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
They fit everyone into it?

Can you please list the Leafs' cap compliant 23-man roster?

Here you go, as of today. Gee, that was sure easy. :)

EFt9K39WoAA4PZM.jpg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's true if the current team is a championship level team.
Toronto's roster is easily a championship-caliber team.

there's really not a lot of flexibility if something needs to be changed/improved.
All of the Leaf contracts are positive value. There is no basis to the claim that they don't have flexibility.

A lack of flexibility might be a concern if your team had a situation where... I dunno... all of your contracts had NTCs or NMCs...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't want to chime in too much about the T.O. situation, however this doesn't look to be changing in the next few years.
Leafs have been highly competitive in all of their series against higher-ranked opponents, and were frankly the better team in at least one, despite having worse teams than they do now and most of their core not being in their prime.

They're in a tough spot.
While this may be true, this is because of the NHL's embarrassing playoff format, not because of anything the Leafs did. Not much that can be done about it. Tampa and Boston are in the same situation.

have more flexibility than The Leafs.
Highly, highly debatable. Do people not even look at cap situations?

You can order them 1-2-3 however you wish but The Bolts and Bruins aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Boston isn't going to last forever. They have added some good pieces through the draft, but the pieces that drive the team are mostly getting old. Tampa also isn't going to challenge all-time win records again. Toronto is just as good as these teams.

Maybe The Leafs will be better than them as soon as this year however both those teams are still going to be some of the top teams in the league that you're going to either have to win the division against or beat in the playoffs most likely.
They would likely have to beat them anyway. Whether the Leafs beat them in the 1st round, 2nd round, or 3rd round, what difference does it make? Aside from people making uninformed comments about playoff rounds and their meaning.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Last time I checked many Leaf fan including myself have made many rational arguments. Deke has proved you wrong on many fronts alone and proving you to just be a hater.

Only thing he proved me wrong on was when in the year that toews and kane signed which doesnt change the leafs cap trouble... which was the original point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad