Speculation: Ranking the RFA Signings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
LOL!! Look who is delusional. Or maybe thick as a brick.

Ceci, Spezza, Mancarin, Barrie and Muzzin come off the books after this year, so there's around 13 million freed up.......MORE than enough to re-sign Barrie for good money, and to pay for Sandin and Liljegren to replace Muzzin and Ceci.

Barrie 2.75
Muzzin 4
Ceci 4.5
Spezza 700k
Matincin 700k
= 12.65 plus let's say 1.5 in the cap going up:
Barrie 8mill
Leaves you with 6.1 to sign the other 4 players or their replacements..while keeping in mind Andersen's deal

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
You're not acknowledging that the only players with NMC or NTC in their contracts are Tavares and Andersen. Unless someone has a terrible year, it's looking like we have zero untradeable contracts. If we traded a guy like Nylander to make cap space for signing our guys on D, our forward group is still one of the best in the league.
The sky is not falling when you have that kind of flexibility and no untradeable contracts. Everyone thought our D this year would be horrible but Dubas made it work because he could shake things up.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
You're not acknowledging that the only players with NMC or NTC in their contracts are Tavares and Andersen. Unless someone has a terrible year, it's looking like we have zero untradeable contracts. If we traded a guy like Nylander to make cap space for signing our guys on D, our forward group is still one of the best in the league.
The sky is not falling when you have that kind of flexibility and no untradeable contracts. Everyone thought our D this year would be horrible but Dubas made it work because he could shake things up.

No what Leafs fans aren't acknowledging is that buy trading nylander for other pieces is proving my argument that they are too far up against the cap

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Don't like the Marner deal all that much given what we saw with Rantanen who was the closest comp.

Curious to see if any RFAs the missed camp have a Nylander like struggle this season though

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
No what Leafs fans aren't acknowledging is that buy trading nylander for other pieces is proving my argument that they are too far up against the cap
So your point is that we'll need to tinker with our roster in the coming years and make some trades to make it work? Never heard of a team doing that before...

Reactions: HR Pickens

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
That's true if the current team is a championship level team. Because it's hard to imagine them not being forced to take a step back next year, either by trading Nylander to replace a defenseman, or just going with bad top-4.

It's sort of a "This is what we have, and I hope to God it's good enough," situation, because there's really not a lot of flexibility if something needs to be changed/improved.
Its true, but having said that I think if changes need to be made they can be done. Everyone would love space to maneuver but I think this team should be good enough to be a contender and although we collectively paid 4Mish more on young three, I am sure pridham knows how he plans on getting some breathing space. I just hope its not giving up firsts like we had to with marleau this year. Also, we don't really have a terrible contract that isn't a star.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Barrie 2.75
Muzzin 4
Ceci 4.5
Spezza 700k
Matincin 700k
= 12.65 plus let's say 1.5 in the cap going up:
Barrie 8mill
Leaves you with 6.1 to sign the other 4 players or their replacements..while keeping in mind Andersen's deal

Well, like I already said.....Sandin and Liljeren ARE the replacements for Ceci and Muzzin. So from that 6.1 million, there's maybe 3 million spent. That leaves us another 3 million to find replacements for 700k Spezza and 700k Marinicin.

Hmm..........Super duper easy!

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Since so many non-Leaf fans seem to be struggling understanding just how on earth the Leafs will be fitting their team into the cap for NEXT year......let's just lay it out, once and for all.

Hyman(2.25) - Matthews(11.6) - Nylander(6.9) = 20.75
Johnsson(3.4) - Tavares(11) - Marner(10.9) = 25.3
Kapanen(3.2) - Kerfoot(3.5) - Moore(775k) = 7.475
Mikheyev(925k) - Gauthier(700k) - Spezza replacement(700k) = 2.325
Extra(700k) = 0.7

Rielly(5) - Barrie(8) = 13
Dermott(1.5) - UFA(2-2.5) = 3.5 to 4
Sandin(900k) - Liljegren(900k) = 1.8
Extra(700k) = 0.7

Andersen(5) = 5
UFA(700k) = 0.7

Kessel's buyout(1.2)

That comes to a grand total of 82.4 to 82.9 million.

The current salary cap is 81.5 million and next year it will likely go up by a modest 1.5 million........so 83 million.

Thank you for your deep concern. Really. It means a lot to us. But they are fine. One day, Rielly will need a raise. And Kessel will be off the books and they might move someone and make some room. Again.......fine.

Reactions: HR Pickens

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
[MOD]

Chicago: best players where on team friendly deals 6 mill for 6 years, able to surround their core with expensive talent.
Pitts: Crosby leagues biggest hometown discount, somehow traded their nobodies for big adds that helped them win.

I'm surprised you post didnt end with "wow man you are correct" as you've proved my point... talking about trading nylander and kapanen, are you trading them for better players for less money? What GM would do that... let ceci walk, Barrie walk, and keep muzzin, seems like losing 2 talented nhl defenseman to replace with prospects or ahl guys, who knows if lindgren will be ready, hes not now, doesnt make the team better...

Thanks for coming out

You should get your facts right
Chicago best players weren't on team friendly deals.
Keith and Hossa were on cap circumventing deals
which isn't allowed in the new CBA. They both added three
or four years on their deals at 1 million per year to lower
their cap hit.
We all know how that worked out when Hossa became allergic to his equipment
Now just waiting on what Keith is going to do when he gets into the last years
of getting paid a million in salary.

Thanks for coming out

Reactions: Dekes For Days

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
How does anyone not have Marner dead last? Toronto has really made a disaster of their salary cap.

after 4 years Meier will be making as much or more than Marner
Laine in 2 years can be the highest paid player in the NHL for all we know if he finds consistency.

...i also think Marner's contract sucks, and i was hoping he would get dealt rather than match his demand

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
after 4 years Meier will be making as much or more than Marner
Laine in 2 years can be the highest paid player in the NHL for all we know if he finds consistency.

...i also think Marner's contract sucks, and i was hoping he would get dealt rather than match his demand
If Laine signs a 4 year extension, to equal Marner’s 6 year contract at $12.5 million(McDavid salary) that is still only a $10.58 million dollar average.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Toronto's roster is easily a championship-caliber team.

All of the Leaf contracts are positive value. There is no basis to the claim that they don't have flexibility.

A lack of flexibility might be a concern if your team had a situation where... I dunno... all of your contracts had NTCs or NMCs...

Oh... So maybe THAT plays a big part in how we get big discounts. Hmm...

As for flexibility, what I mean is, it's going to be hard to take a step forward when you can't add any money. If you have to acquire D next year, it'll come at the expense of the forwards. It's going to be hard to find a pure add.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

As for flexibility, what I mean is, it's going to be hard to take a step forward when you can't add any money. If you have to acquire D next year, it'll come at the expense of the forwards. It's going to be hard to find a pure add.

Their lack of flexibility as compared to their rivals already showed this summer.
There's four easy examples between Toronto and Boston.
Just have to look at Marleau vs. Backes. Two vet players making $6M a year that are both solid players but not quite worth their contracts. Toronto was in a position that they had no choice but to give up their 1st round pick because they had to while Boston, because of their contracts, were able to be in a position that they didn't need to over-pay to move Backes. And now they can use it at the TDL if wished.
Bruins have the flexibility to have guys like J. Moore and K.Miller making pretty decent money as your 6-8 d-men which is the kind of defensive depth that Toronto simply can't afford.
Bruins can afford a back-up of Halak's level while Toronto simply can't and are going off a wish and prayer.
And they can cover mistakes, which is important as every team makes some, with dead money on guys like Seidenberg and Beleskey that'll be coming off the books.

Marner and Pastrnak are pretty equal players but that extra $4-5M is pretty much being able to hold onto Torey Krug.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, I wonder why everybody would want to make sure, in their financial agreement, that they stay in Tampa... Hmm...

Even aside from this not really being true, what contenders are finding significant "pure adds" externally?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
solid player
:biglaugh:

Toronto was in a position that they had no choice but to give up their 1st round pick because they had to while Boston, because of their contracts, were able to be in a position that they didn't need to over-pay to move Backes.
Toronto gave up a 1st round pick because they spent that money and got a franchise center in UFA.

And now they can use it at the TDL if wished.
So Boston can waste it in a worse way...?

Bruins have the flexibility to have guys like J. Moore and K.Miller making pretty decent money as your 6-8 d-men which is the kind of defensive depth that Toronto simply can't afford.
You don't need to overpay your 6-8 defensemen to be successful.

And they can cover mistakes, which is important as every team makes some
Not many when you're evaluating players properly.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Since so many non-Leaf fans seem to be struggling understanding just how on earth the Leafs will be fitting their team into the cap for NEXT year......let's just lay it out, once and for all.

Extra(700k) = 0.7

Extra(700k) = 0.7

Andersen(5) = 5
UFA(700k) = 0.7

Kessel's buyout(1.2)

The current salary cap is 81.5 million and next year it will likely go up by a modest 1.5 million........so 83 million.

Thank you for your deep concern. Really. It means a lot to us. But they are fine. One day, Rielly will need a raise. And Kessel will be off the books and they might move someone and make some room. Again.......fine.

lol so what you're saying is you're screwed if Barrie gets 9 mill because there is literally no where to cut since its already filled with 700k guys. Also, if McDermott gets a modest 3 mill offersheet that compensates a 2nd round pick, how do you match it?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
lol so what you're saying is you're screwed if Barrie gets 9 mill because there is literally no where to cut since its already filled with 700k guys. Also, if McDermott gets a modest 3 mill offersheet that compensates a 2nd round pick, how do you match it?
let him go and keep Dermott instead I guess

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Extra(700k) = 0.7

Extra(700k) = 0.7

Andersen(5) = 5
UFA(700k) = 0.7

Kessel's buyout(1.2)

So D’s 3-7 combined are going to make less than most teams’ second pairing. Seems like a recipe for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad