Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
you couldn't resign the player you bought out though. Rangers absolutely would have taken Brad at $2M/year, and Brad probably would have stuck it out here if he was allowed to.

Yes but I like that there is still some form of accountability to avoid GMs counting on compliance buyouts

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
I can see a more offensive version of Sauer here. Fan favorite potential, IMO, and will be mean in playoff hockey.

One thing is for sure... Hartford will look better.

#FireGernander #HireFilipPesan

It is too soon to claim this :) Pesan is staying at least for another year in Liberec, will be coaching Czech U20 national team this year in Buffalo. He is great coach but still there were not many Euro coaches who got such a job in North America. I mean, he can definitely get a chance sometimes and probably has what it takes to be successful. But right now I would say it is a bit of a stretch to say he will be Hartford coach or part of Rangers coaching staff. So far he is "just" good person to have in the organisation.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I saw a decent bit of Pionk. I don't think he's as good defensively as Sauer was at a similar age. Pionk is also a better skater than Sauer.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like this signing, but I doubt this guy starts in the NHL next season. I don't even think Graves who has had two successful AHL seasons is likely to start next season in the NHL. Bereglazov will, he's already a fixture with Russia's National Team. He's not coming to NA to play in the minors.

But definitely good to sign a guy who we can send to Hartford, let him develop, and then call up a right shot offensive defenseman when need be. We are building some good depth on defense.

I'm more inclined to let it play out in training camp rather than make pronouncements months in advance. Seriously though I suspect Bereglazov will make next year's team. It's just that I think that Pionk has a legitimate to make the team too. Just because he hasn't played in the KHL doesn't mean he sucks.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Neal Pionk was passed over in his draft year due to his small size—5’11â€, 170-lbs on the most generous of measurements—but is turning heads with his strong play at the University of Minnesota-Duluth as a sophomore. After scoring 17 points in an up-and-down rookie season, Pionk has 24 points in 30 games and is showing that he may be able to compete at the next level after all. Craig Custance of ESPN reports that as many as 20 teams have expressed interest in the Bulldog, including the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, who can sign college free agents in March like any other team (provided their final expansion payment goes through without a hitch).

Pionk attended the Washington Capitals development camp in 2015 before heading to school. It will be interesting to see if Washington will be back in the mix to sign him when his season ends. The right-handed defenseman likely has so many suitors because not only does he possess the puck-moving skill that usually accompanies the smaller defenseman at this level, but also has a slight nasty streak that leads him to physically challenge opposing forwards as well. Some might liken his play to Connor Carrick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (and previously those same Washington Capitals), who doesn’t let his height dictate the type of game he plays.

While this year’s crop of NCAA free agents doesn’t have a huge name leading the way, players like Pionk can still be valuable assets to any team. Look for Vegas to go hard after several of them as it tries to add depth to a system that will have very little of it to start. The Minnesota native is already 21 (and will turn 22 in July), meaning he’ll have to adapt quickly to the increased difficulty of the AHL and beyond, but if that many teams are interested, he’ll likely have a fighting chance.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/02/teams-interested-college.html

He also attended the Hawks development camp.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
More free prospects!

Some of them need to turn into something good, we signed like 27 of them in the last 2 months :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad