Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Mike: Living in Washington DC I get to focus on the Caps and read about the team. Here is an article in today's Washington Post about Shattenkirk. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ow-he-can-play-better/?utm_term=.241ed7391db5 If the link doesn't work because you need a subscription let me know and I will print the article. But the bottom line is despite playing fewer, sheltered minutes Shattenkirk is a team worst +/- in the playoffs. His delay of game penalty at the beginning of the 3rd period Saturday night with no pressure on him was a bad play for a rookie. You might be write that we should sign Smith (of course we would need to actually play him) and avoid the big Shattenkirk contract.

I wonder if Shattenkirk will even be gone after in the off-season. He's going to command a large sum of money even with a hometown discount. How about buy out 5 or 18 (I can't see keeping both), resigning Smith, and letting these youngsters play?

The pessimist in me thinks the Shattenkirk deal will be one of those we'll live to regret it things.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
- Pesan replacing Gernander
- Lettieri, Pedrie, Gropp, Zborovsky, Day joining HFD
- Pionk and Bereglazov replacing Staal and Klein
- Shipachyov signing as a free agent
- Hayes and Raanta traded for Honka and ANA's 1st
- Klein to Calgary for a pick
- Holden picked in the expansion draft
- Nash traded to New Jersey for the rights to Kovalchuk
- Draft Brannstrom and Yamamoto with the two 1st round picks

Kovalchuk-Shipachyov-Buchnevich
Vesey-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kreider-Zibanejad-Miller
Fast-Lindberg-Grabner

McDonagh-Honka
Skjei-Smith
Bereglazov-Pionk

Lundqvist
FA goalie

tenor.gif

But that cap though..... ;)

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
If we're in fantasy land, then Staal retires to spend more time with his family.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow amazing! First the russian kid, now this kid? Going to be A LOT of competition come training camp.. now GTFO Staal and Girardi.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Scouting report? I didn't see one on HF.

Edit: Scouting report on Pionk not Vatanen. :laugh:

Little bit on the smaller size, though closer to average, but is a great skater and can move the puck very well. Has a big shot from the point and plays with an edge. I think he's a little closer to James Wisniewski than Torey Krug in terms of upside.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Scouting report? I didn't see one on HF.

Edit: Scouting report on Pionk not Vatanen. :laugh:

smooth skater, good shot, passer. he can get the puck out of the zone effectively and can win corner battles. He has some grit too. Can QB the PP. Torey Krug is his NHL comparable/ceiling (not saying he will be as successful). He can pull a spin-o-rama, needs a little perfection, but effective to create. Maybe needs a little work on PK, but maybe he won't be utilized as much in that role? (USHL dman of the year in '14-'15)

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
If Torey Krug (who is an excellent defenseman) is his NHL comparison, then any time on an AV coached Rangers is wasted time.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Little bit on the smaller size, though closer to average, but is a great skater and can move the puck very well. Has a big shot from the point and plays with an edge. I think he's a little closer to James Wisniewski than Torey Krug in terms of upside.
Can he suit up for Game 3? :laugh:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Found this on the main board for the signing:

I liked ZAR quite a bit, but for me Pionk was the big fish in the college UFA market.

He is an excellent skater, good passer, has some nice offensive tools, plays with some bite, but what I like most about him is he has balls. Definetly not a shy player.

I think he will be in the Rangers lineup on opening night next year. Nice grab for the Rags.

That last part is pretty big. Guys who watch these guys are saying he has a shot to get into the lineup next season. That's big

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A huge pickup. I wasn't expecting it--I heard Chicago. The Rangers have become the go to destination for the best college free agents. Bereglazov and Pionk and Graves could all be pushing for jobs next September. More evidence that the Rangers are going to be buying some players out--maybe even both Staal and Girardi and probably moving Klein too. Keeping in mind though 2 is about the maximum amount of rookie D that you can have making your team out of camp--it does look like we might be doing that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad