Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
We all got excited when we signed Matt Gilroy 50 pages of hype can someone in the know tell me this guy will pan out to be better than Gilroy?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We all got excited when we signed Matt Gilroy 50 pages of hype can someone in the know tell me this guy will pan out to be better than Gilroy?

As much as Gilroy sucked, he still played 4 NHL seasons and has become a good KHL player. Pionk is a nice prospect but the odds are still against him, as they are against 95% of these college UDFA players.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

The big one that jumps out to me is that he's like 4-5 years younger than Gilroy was when he signed

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Gilroy busted so we shouldn't have added a guy drawing Torey Krug comps? :huh:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Gilroy busted so we shouldn't have added a guy drawing Torey Krug comps? :huh:

definitely not a reason to not go after him, but possible a valid reason to temper the excitement until he steps on the ice against pros. literally no downside to adding an asset for free, but as an undrafted player the odds are against him

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
definitely not a reason to not go after him, but possible a valid reason to temper the excitement until he steps on the ice against pros. literally no downside to adding an asset for free, but as an undrafted player the odds are against him

Pionk posted 34 points in 42 games this year. At the same age, Gilroy posted 8 points in 36 games. We're talking a different caliber of prospect. It's no guarantee, but Pionk's way ahead on the development curve.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Why temper our excitement? Will it somehow affect how his career plays out. Excitement about signings like this are all we have right now. :cry:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Why temper our excitement? Will it somehow affect how his career plays out. Excitement about signings like this are all we have right now. :cry:

there is a time and place of positivity and this isn't that place pal lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pionk posted 34 points in 42 games this year. At the same age, Gilroy posted 8 points in 36 games. We're talking a different caliber of prospect. It's no guarantee, but Pionk's way ahead on the development curve.

At the same age Gilroy was playing his first season as a defenseman.

Pionk is a good prospect but is still undersized and not exactly a shutdown defender. The reality is that if he ends up playing 250 NHL games or whatever like Gilroy then that's a success. He has the talent to be a lot more, but as has been acknowledged there's no guarantee he pans out.

There's a reason small offensively-oriented defensemen always draw comparisons to Torey Krug, and it's because there aren't many guys like that playing in the NHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Pionk is a good prospect but is still undersized and not exactly a shutdown defender. The reality is that if he ends up playing 250 NHL games or whatever like Gilroy then that's a success. He has the talent to be a lot more, but as has been acknowledged there's no guarantee he pans out.

There's a reason small offensively-oriented defensemen always draw comparisons to Torey Krug, and it's because there aren't many guys like that playing in the NHL.

Rafalski?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Size isn't as big a deal as it once was. Karlsson, Leddy, Krug, Giordano, Gostisbehere, Ellis, Barrie, etc. These guys are all 6'0" or less. I think the main reason for the Krug comps are that both are speedy, offensive defensemen who went undrafted. Erik Brännström, the guy I want the Rangers to use their first round pick on, is 5'10".

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Size isn't as big a deal as it once was. Karlsson, Leddy, Krug, Giordano, Gostisbehere, Ellis, Barrie, etc. These guys are all 6'0" or less. I think the main reason for the Krug comps are that both are speedy, offensive defensemen who went undrafted. Erik Brännström, the guy I want the Rangers to use their first round pick on, is 5'10".

I get it, I'm not saying he can't make it. I'm thrilled we acquired him.

To me, surf's question boils down to, "What makes him more of a sure thing than Gilroy?" Which I think is a fair question, particularly if you're not familiar with Pionk. And IMO the honest answer is "nothing," as Pionk is far from a sure thing.

Not crapping on Pionk, BTW. Just tempering my enthusiasm as I generally do. :)

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Being ahead on the development curve always gives a guy a better shot imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad