Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Free Agent D Neal Pionk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
there is a time and place of positivity and this isn't that place pal lol

What!? People are complaining about how terrible our D is. Gorton trying to fix it with things like this. Why would it not be a time to be positive? I've been hyping up FA the Rangers signed since Dave Silk.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
So any nickname yet? I'll simply call him PLonk, regardless of bust or boom, he will always have a memorable nickname.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Positivity usually leads to disappointment. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

I've not seen Pionk, but I don't think this should be taken as us restructuring our NHL roster completely. I definitely think Bereglazov was signed to play instantly. A lot of teams were after Pionk, did we sign him without at least hinting that he has a good shot to play right away?

In the end, from my POV, we had -- no -- farm this season. I think we have signed a lot of kids that will position themselves as top 10 candidates in HFD. Bereglazov should be in the NHL. Maybe Pionk, but it might also be a bit of a long shot. Wouldn't at all be surprised if we brought him on board by stating that he is really close, but needs a little time in HFD. Skjei did, McD did, and so forth.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I get it, I'm not saying he can't make it. I'm thrilled we acquired him.

To me, surf's question boils down to, "What makes him more of a sure thing than Gilroy?" Which I think is a fair question, particularly if you're not familiar with Pionk. And IMO the honest answer is "nothing," as Pionk is far from a sure thing.

Not crapping on Pionk, BTW. Just tempering my enthusiasm as I generally do. :)

Pionk being four years younger is a good start. His game is also more suited to the way the game is played nowadays. Gilroy in a "six-goalie system" had disaster written all over it. In today game where possession and puck movement is essential, Pionk has a much situation to develop.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy, too.

Ryan Murphy isn't really a full time NHLr though, so he doesn't fit in the Barrie, Krug or Ellis category. Brian Campbell though is probably one that fits. 5'10" and had a very long, and successful NHL career.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Never a bad idea to sign a guy who probably is immediately a top 10 prospect in the organization.

As for Matt Gilroy, he wasn't a bad hockey player. He just didn't meet the expectations for offense that he had coming in. Expectations can be an absolute killer for a player. Benoit Pouliot is probably the best example of how expectations influence judgment I've ever seen. He was a disappointment until he came to the Rangers and was only expected to be a 3rd liner. If the expectation coming in was for Gilroy to be a 3rd pairing mobile defensive D with limited offense, we'd all have loved him.

My point is that sometimes it's better to limit expectations. Not eliminate them, but just accommodate for the idea that he might not be the player in the NHL that he was in college.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Grotans & Co. killing it with the UDFA signings. Now if they just fire AV and cut some dead-weight the organization will be looking pretty nice going in to next year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Depending on who's listing him Pionk is either 5'11 or 6'0--and that size range for a defenseman in the NHL is not as rare as some might think.

An incomplete listing of players in that range or smaller--Erik Karlsson, Pk Subban, Nick Leddy, Mark Giordano, Stralman, Krug, Vatanen, Barrie, Spurgeon, Ellis, Brian Campbell, Niskanen, Dennis Wideman, Goligoski, Orlov, Markov, Del Zotto, Gostisbehere, Enstrom, Streit, Sekera, Andy Greene.

Younger guys too like Montour, Honka, Stecher, Carrick, Benning and even Michael Kapla--a college free agent this year who finished the season playing for the Devils.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It's a 2 year ELC. If Pionk is a player,the Rangers have a young NHL D. No real downside. Time will tell.

I've read scouting reports that said there's potential he could be ready to go by the start of next season. That would be a fantastic turnaround and big boost to the defensive unit.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Everything in that scouting report on him is sexy as hell.

He has an absolute rocket of a slapshot from the point. He is also able to play the role of powerplay quarterback, possessing good poise with the puck, excellent vision and good passing skill. Pionk also uses this passing skill to start the transition game. He might be a little bit undersized, but Pionk is also good defensively. He is very gritty, willing to battle in front of the net and in the corners. His two-way game is helped quite a bit by his skating, which is top notch.

:banana::banana::banana:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad