Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sabres -- 4/1/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Some of these reactions are amazing. Laff is on the third line because he's the 3rd (maybe 4th) best LW on the team, right now. Same for Chytil. Why the hell should he play more than Zib and Strome? Kakko gets more ice time than those two because, shockingly, he's playing better. Especially Laff, he's a monster on the wall, he sticks his nose into the action everytime he's on the ice. He looks like he wants the puck and he wants to be a difference maker. What's so hard for people to grasp? And if Laff and Chytil are mad about their ice, good, let them get mad and come out the next game and prove the coach wrong. I guarantee you that once Laff plays better than the two guys above him, the coach will gladly give him those minutes. The young guys aren't on the PP 1 because they just aren't better than the guys currently on PP 1 (passed up shots aside), the first unit spend the entire PP in the offensive zone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather Laff get 8-10 minutes a night in high pressure, playoff type games, with something on the line than 20 in meaningless, run out the season games. Tomorrow, he'll start the game on the 3rd line again and get an opportunity to prove he deserves more time. Blackwell deserved to be on the ice in OT because he scored a goal and was noticeable. I wish Kakko would have gotten a shift in OT, that's a legit gripe, but they're trying to win a game. We are officially in the f*** Your Feelings portion of the season. They need to win every game and the coach needs to coach like they need to win every game. I want Laff, Chytil, and maybe Kakko angry they didn't get more ice this offseason. Let them get fired up. Go live with Kreider this summer and work your ass off like the other players do and the results will follow.
If the Chytil line is that abysmal that quinn can only give give them 8 minutes in a game then he has to switch it up. We have no third line. We have 2 good lines, only when zib is feeling it, and then we have two lines that the coach doesn't trust. If quinn wants to push for the playoffs he has to find a way to create a third line. If he has to demote Laf or Goat then do it because they're getting close to no ice time anyways. If we're gonna hobble into the playoffs riding Zib and Panarin to exhaustion then it is pointless. We need a third line. Blackwell, Rooney, Chytil? PDG, Rooney, Chytil? Laf, Rooney, Chytil? It's clear he trusts Rooney more at the center position than Chytil and he's pushing for the playoffs. Move Chytil to the wing to create a more balanced line that he can give more minutes.

Reactions: duhmetreE

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Kakko is way improved in his conditioning but the lactic acid gets him in his legs at the end of a long shift and he's a step slower than his linemates at that point. Not the biggest deal as he still manages to get to the right spots but I'm wheezing watching him lumber there and always concerned if he'll actually make it to the bench after lol

This might also be why he's not getting 3 on 3 time, a tired player gets exposed easily, especially with the farther line change.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kakko has been going the past two games, Kreider has been not very good, if Quinn wants to play Blackwell on the PP and in OT, then put him where Kreider is, and then put Kakko were Blackwell was.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If the Chytil line is that abysmal that quinn can only give give them 8 minutes in a game then he has to switch it up. We have no third line. We have 2 good lines, only when zib is feeling it, and then we have two lines that the coach doesn't trust. If quinn wants to push for the playoffs he has to find a way to create a third line. If he has to demote Laf or Goat then do it because they're getting close to no ice time anyways. If we're gonna hobble into the playoffs riding Zib and Panarin to exhaustion then it is pointless. We need a third line. Blackwell, Rooney, Chytil? PDG, Rooney, Chytil? Laf, Rooney, Chytil? It's clear he trusts Rooney more at the center position than Chytil and he's pushing for the playoffs. Move Chytil to the wing to create a more balanced line that he can give more minutes.

They won last night, that's not a good thing? Maybe he trusts the top two lines more than the younger guys late in games? But here's the good news, they get another crack at it tomorrow. You people focus too much on ice time, that's not what development is all about.

Reactions: kovazub94

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Kakko has been going the past two games, Kreider has been not very good, if Quinn wants to play Blackwell on the PP and in OT, then put him where Kreider is, and then put Kakko were Blackwell was.
Agreed, though honestly Blackwell and Trouba, as many have said before, have no place in 3 on 3. I've been tough on Trouba but he's been stellar defensively and made a GREAT play to get the 2nd goal going with a pinch and then pass to Gaut in the slot that he put off the post/side of the next. But his puck skills and skating are not made for 3 on 3 hockey. Same with Blackwell.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This is the NHL anyone can beat anyone. I don't trust Quinn in the playoffs but the Rangers have the talent and now play defensively enough they that they should be competitive in the east. This "we'll get killed" nonsense is tiring. Maybe against Tampa if we played them.

Just wait until we play the Penguins back to back again in a week and we get killed for 120 minutes again.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
They won last night, that's not a good thing? Maybe he trusts the top two lines more than the younger guys late in games? But here's the good news, they get another crack at it tomorrow. You people focus too much on ice time, that's not what development is all about.
I'm not even talking about development. If quinn and management wants to go all in for the playoffs they need a better third line. If we don't have the pieces to create a half-decent third line then guess what...we're not ready for the playoffs.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not even talking about development. If quinn and management wants to go all in for the playoffs they need a better third line. If we don't have the pieces to create a half-decent third line then guess what...we're not ready for the playoffs.

They're walking a fine line. They want to make the playoffs and they want the kids to play. Not easy. And if it means they don't see the ice much in the final 10 minutes of the 3rd so be it. To me, having them in these games, with something on the line, is better than playing 20 meaningless minutes a night in games that don't mean anything. Just because you're not ready for the playoffs doesn't mean you approach these games like that. That's how kids get ruined.

Reactions: egelband

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
How about a fact that Quinn does have a plan for OT? Don’t you all complain that he doesn’t prepare / have a plan?

The team actually won in OT!!! How this is not important (specifically addressing about OT) is beyond me with these complaints.

Wait, who is "you all"? I don't complain about Quinn's preparedness or lack of a plan.

It is great we won in OT, I agree with you. My gripe is that the 1st and 2nd overall didn't get any time out there to skate around with Panarin and Fox with all that space against a shit team to maybe score a goal and gain some confidence or learn a thing or two. Kakko especially deserved it.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Me this morning: The team won, so I am going to go into the postgame thread to see some positivity.

*click*

200w.gif

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Agreed, though honestly Blackwell and Trouba, as many have said before, have no place in 3 on 3. I've been tough on Trouba but he's been stellar defensively and made a GREAT play to get the 2nd goal going with a pinch and then pass to Gaut in the slot that he put off the post/side of the next. But his puck skills and skating are not made for 3 on 3 hockey. Same with Blackwell.

I just am not sure why Quinn is relying on Kreider last night, he received over 6 Mins on the PP and all he did was stand near the crease. At least when Blackwell was out there on the PP he was moving around the crease. I would think Kakko would have done more than just stand there too.

Is Kreider injured and playing through something? Like that empty net attempt, with his skating he could not have made a better play than just trying to fire it through the defender?

Reactions: egelband and romba

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just wait until we play the Penguins back to back again in a week and we get killed for 120 minutes again.

Yeah, the Pens are the one team I'm worried about. That said we were competitive against them until the last two games. But they did have injuries early on in the season and weren't playing as well.

Reactions: Tob

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
wow, this is dopey. So, because Fox is played a ton when the other choices are also kids somehow justifies stunting the development of our young forwards in a year when we cannot win anything? Nah. Poorly thought out post.
You must think these kids are extremely fragile if limited ice time in the 3rd period for a 19 year who isn't making an impact right now will stunt his development.

Sometimes sitting and watching *is* the development. I'll take earning your minutes rather than going out there and just trying "whatever' for 15 minutes without consequences for such a young player. Teach him to respect his ice time. Just because he's drafted 1st overall doesn't mean it's coming to him.

With that said, Kakko should have been out there for at least a shift or two in OT. So I'll give you that.

But Laf isn't ready for more responsibility on the ice yet. You can just see it in the way he plays. He's invisible a lot of times.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How can we NOT give him a benefit of a doubt seeing how Buchnevich turned out, how Chytil looks at 21 and how Kakko progressed from last year???
Lol Quinn gets no credit for developing Buch. He’s been doing this for a while now, the only difference is he has puck luck with him this year

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
They're walking a fine line. They want to make the playoffs and they want the kids to play. Not easy. And if it means they don't see the ice much in the final 10 minutes of the 3rd so be it. To me, having them in these games, with something on the line, is better than playing 20 meaningless minutes a night in games that don't mean anything. Just because you're not ready for the playoffs doesn't mean you approach these games like that. That's how kids get ruined.
I just don't see it. Sounds like a half-ass way to develop and a half-ass way to try to make the playoffs.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I just don't see it. Sounds like a half-ass way to develop and a half-ass way to try to make the playoffs.

How is it a half ass way to develop? Do you think just giving Laff minutes over players that are playing better than him is the way to go? They should push to make the playoffs, if it becomes apparent they aren't going to make it, then they should rethink how they deploy their forwards. But right now, their only goal should be to win every game possible.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
You must think these kids are extremely fragile if limited ice time in the 3rd period for a 19 year who isn't making an impact right now will stunt his development.

Sometimes sitting and watching *is* the development. I'll take earning your minutes rather than going out there and just trying "whatever' for 15 minutes without consequences for such a young player. Teach him to respect his ice time. Just because he's drafted 1st overall doesn't mean it's coming to him.

With that said, Kakko should have been out there for at least a shift or two in OT. So I'll give you that.

But Laf isn't ready for more responsibility on the ice yet. You can just see it in the way he plays. He's invisible a lot of times.

Right, I don't think we have to lump all the kids into one singular argument, Kakko was good, he has been for several games, Chytil is doing stuff too, I think there is a legitimate point being made that Kakko should get some more time on the PP, or a shift in OT, and Chytil should be seeing more ice time. Laff I view differently, he has a lot to work on without being thrust into those situations.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He showed flashes, but his conditioning and strength clearly weren't good enough for him to play "his game". His game is a grinding, quick stick game. Skaters can come into this league and find space right away. This is why power forwards take longer to develop. He has shown improvement in his strength and his stamina and so his game has improved. Those physical deficiencies should have been obvious to the coach who is invested in his development, not just his play on any given night. Quinn damaged his confidence and you can still see remnants of that when he is in a scoring situation. Buch is not a young player anymore; not sure how to evaluate his emergence. Chytil has all the talent in the world and is being stymied by this coach. I am surprised you used him as a positive example. And Lindgren has been good from the jump. It was surprising how good he and Fox were together, but where do you see Quinn in Lindgren's success? Where is Howden's improvement? How about Lemieux? Or Gauthier? Kakko through his efforts has earned a shot on PP1 in Strome's spot which is the clear problem with that unit. You can put Buch there also, but we need a lefty over there but Quinn has his favorites, seemingly all the Ivy League types. The "smart" seem to get ice time under him. I know that sounds crazy and i am thinking out loud, but it seems to be true.

You named 3 4th liners and asked me where their improvements were? Id ask you what your expectations for Howden, Lemieux and Gauthier and lets start from there. Hoping that they'd be any more than bottom six role players is silly. Howden has realized that and has worked on his defensive game to the point hes a penalty killer now and is smartly creating a role for himself. Gauthier is lost in his own end and there's a reason Carolina moved on from him before even giving him time in the NHL and Lemieux is a straight line forechecker/fighter with no hands. I don't honestly see any problem with the development here i see an expectation problem in this forum. Some kids take longer to mature, much like Kakko has taken huge strides from the time he got here so too will Lafreniere when he is ready, his draft number is irrelevant.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Well it's at least up for debate
Huh? Why are you looking at the 2019-2020 season? If you switch it to the 2020-2021 season, it clearly shows that rangers have the youngest team with the average age of 25.32. The next closest is the Devils at 25.56. Again, not a debate. Want to try again?

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
How is it a half ass way to develop? Do you think just giving Laff minutes over players that are playing better than him is the way to go? They should push to make the playoffs, if it becomes apparent they aren't going to make it, then they should rethink how they deploy their forwards. But right now, their only goal should be to win every game possible.
We have an all skill "kid line" and and all grinder line of ahl tweeners. Mix the two up to get an actual third line. Laf can't get any less minutes then he already is getting. He'll move down to a clear fourth line role instead of being on the "kid line". I'm not talking about giving Laf more minutes...I'm talking about moving from a two line team to a three line team.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We have an all skill "kid line" and and all grinder line of ahl tweeners. Mix the two up to get an actual third line. Laf can't get any less minutes then he already is getting. He'll move down to a clear fourth line role instead of being on the "kid line". I'm not talking about giving Laf more minutes...I'm talking about moving from a two line team to a three line team.

That's a good point. Honestly, I don't have problem with keeping the kid line together and giving them an opportunity to build some chemistry (Laff isn't a 4th liner and I don't think we want him playing that role) nor do I have a problem with Quinn shortening the bench in the 3rd either. I think guys like PDG and Rooney are just place holders. I thought the same about Blackwell but he's kind of forcing the issue on his own.

Reactions: Miamipuck

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wait, who is "you all"? I don't complain about Quinn's preparedness or lack of a plan.

It is great we won in OT, I agree with you. My gripe is that the 1st and 2nd overall didn't get any time out there to skate around with Panarin and Fox with all that space against a shit team to maybe score a goal and gain some confidence or learn a thing or two. Kakko especially deserved it.

That time has to be EARNED!!! There’s a reason why Zibanejad and Panarin got two shifts and so much ice time in OT. Kakko is doing fine and if he continues - he will get his time in OT too. Lafrenière will get there eventually but there’s no reason to GIVE it to him now.

You don’t get desert if you don’t finish your dinner!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lol Quinn gets no credit for developing Buch. He’s been doing this for a while now, the only difference is he has puck luck with him this year

Exactly. He’s been doing it for awhile now UNDER Quinn. In his first season here Quinn had to healthy scratch, bench and play Buch on the 4th line until the Russian learned the right way to play - the same way Kakko (ahead by a year on) Lafrenière and Gauthier are learning now.

Reactions: romba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad