Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
View attachment 889275

View attachment 889277

Look how considerate Drury is to Trouba.
There's worse places to be than with the Detroit Red Wings. Great organization. Great uniforms. From what I hear the suburbs are nice. Big hockey state Michigan.

I wouldn't be sad if I got traded there other than they won't be ready to contend for a while. But there's a lot of winning tradition, not recent, but historically that organization is tops for a US team. Most Cups of any US team. They'll be back to winning soon enough.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
There's worse places to be than with the Detroit Red Wings. Great organization. Great uniforms. From what I hear the suburbs are nice. Big hockey state Michigan.

I wouldn't be sad if I got traded there other than they won't be ready to contend for a while. But there's a lot of winning tradition, not recent, but historically that organization is tops for a US team. Most Cups of any US team. They'll be back to winning soon enough.
You should cut and paste this onto his IG or sumtin.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also we're not dealing from a position of strength. Detroit knows that.

We might be dealing with a stronger position than you think though.

15 team no trade means that there are 16 teams he can go to. It's more than possible that there are 1 or 2 other teams on his yes list that have interest.

Theres no doubt that this has been in the works for a while and Detroit is definitely his preferred destination, but they may already have something in place after they've deliberated with other teams for the last week and are just waiting for July 1 to get things moving.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Veleno is projected to get 2 years and $2m per. 100+ hits for three years in a row. 28 points last year and 49% FO. He’d be a good get as 4C and someone who could slide up as needed. Probably tops out as a 3C but that’s useful for what the team needs.

Not many centers available in UFA and he fits the ‘younger’ mandate.

I'm not a fan of that reality. I'd rather just grab someone better now. We don't have the capital to waste on upgrading the position at the deadline.

They could overpay a veteran UFA for this season even as long as it’s not multi-year as next offseason they may need the cap. That’s worst case

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Veleno is projected to get 2 years and $2m per. 100+ hits for three years in a row. 28 points last year and 49% FO. He’d be a good get as 4C and someone who could slide up as needed. Probably tops out as a 3C but that’s useful for what the team needs.

Not many centers available in UFA and he fits the ‘younger’ mandate.

They could overpay a veteran UFA for this season even as long as it’s not multi-year as next offseason they may need the cap. That’s worst case

Veleno and a 2025 #2 for Trouba with $2.5M retained.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Copp + 2.5 mil retained on Trouba = 8.125 mil. That's more than Trouba is making. And Copp has 3 years left to Trouba's 2. It's a non-starter.

If we're taking back either Copp or Holl (I'd prefer the latter), there should be nothing retained. If we're retaining, we should get something of actual value back (neither Copp nor Holl).
I agree FWIW. I just don’t see how this happens without something painful included.

Also, Copp fits the lineup and Goodrow’s cap can then be used for a 3D.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I know the hope is to get some value back, but really, moving Trouba to free up 5.5M cap space for the next two years is pretty fair value all on its own.

It seems like my trust in this front office is always trending positive. Drury has done an excellent job of identifying roster issues, and being proactive about trying to solve them. No GM is perfect, but there's been a lot more good than bad lately.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Eh, I still think it’s outta here. He wants a change.

Seems a lot like Talbot/Hagelin/Georgiev.
Thought they would be moved during the first and there was lots of chatter but end up going for day 2 picks.

In a vacuum I don’t get it for the NYR who could use Kakko on the roster but seems quite likely he really wants out and has expressed that. Generally GMs try to accommodate that,

Reactions: Atax

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
You know who I hope gets a regular shift if Trouba does get traded, Jones. Jones looked good when Trouba was out hurt. I'd like to see what he can do with a regular shift for a full season.
Jones would have been given a chance regardless of Trouba being moved or not. They only have 6 NHL defenseman right now with Trouba.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Seems a lot like Talbot/Hagelin/Georgiev.
Thought they would be moved during the first and there was lots of chatter but end up going for day 2 picks.

In a vacuum I don’t get it for the NYR who could use Kakko on the roster but seems quite likely he really wants out and has expressed that. Generally GMs try to accommodate that,

Getting a 3rd for Kakko doesn't help the team enough for me.

Just not worth it, better off hoping he can actually do something this year.

I don't care what he wants, he'll have a chance elsewhere one day if it doesn't work here

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I know the hope is to get some value back, but really, moving Trouba to free up 5.5M cap space for the next two years is pretty fair value all on its own.

It seems like my trust in this front office is always trending positive. Drury has done an excellent job of identifying roster issues, and being proactive about trying to solve them. No GM is perfect, but there's been a lot more good than bad lately.
Extract. Addition by subtraction.

Use the money to get an upgrade at D like Chychurn or Roy or somebody

Reactions: Harbour Dog

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
LOL this board is funny. We went from Trouba isn't tradable to wanting a 2nd and a 1st? That would be incredible but Stevie Y isn't going to consider the 1st imo.
Insanity. Clearing up all that cap and eating only 2.5, I’ll drive the guy to the airport myself. I don’t need any other return for moving him, I’ll take a bag of pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama