Rangers Raise “Regular season Champions” banner.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, reading through this thread, it just makes me sad that so many people completely devalue any accomplishment over the course of an 82 game season between October and March because a team might get eliminated in 4 games in April

Winning the President's Trophy should absolutely mean more for a franchise than it currently does. It and the Stanley Cup should be the 2 most coveted trophies in hockey, either showing consistent dominance over the long haul of a season, or the ability to get hot at the right moment.
Especially considering what this actually is. It's a f***in banner. It's not like they paraded the President's Trophy down Broadway.

These Barstool and Shittin' Clickbait types never aged past 14.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Have the caps picked a night this year for their Putin Bobblehead give away? Its pretty hard to take anyone seriously who's username is celebrating an open supporter of a geocidal lunatic. Its not a good look for you.

You don’t know me, I don’t care about you or what you think of me. The team and players I choose to support don’t have any correlation with my political convictions, so you can keep your comment to yourself.

If you can’t have a civil discussion with other people who don’t think exactly like you, you can always try Reddit ;)

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
You don’t know me, I don’t care about you or what you think of me. The team and players I choose to support don’t have any correlation with my political convictions, so you can keep your comment to yourself.

If you can’t have a civil discussion with other people who don’t think exactly like you, you can always try Reddit ;)

if you consider not liking someone who supports genocide as just a 'different political conviction', then i do in fact know everything i need to know about you.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Every team does this. Usually they just quietly hang them up somewhere in the offseason since they're not anything really worth holding a ceremony for...Unless you're Nashville, of course.

The Rangers one only looks weird because i think as somebody on reddit pointed out, the "regular season champions" one reads that way because they have a couple pre-president's trophy banners hanging so this one matches for consistency purposes.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Forward 'em over. I like laughing at a silly regular season champs banner, and AFC finalists banner and a multitude of stand-up comics.

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

The dichotomy of it being “silly” to hang a banner for this vs. “Western Conference Champs” from the playoffs is not lost on me.

Did you know it is statistically harder to win the league during the regular season than to win a Conference in the playoffs? For that matter, the odds of winning the Cup are the same as the Presidents’ Trophy. So it’s clearly not some arbitrary non-achievement.

Why does anyone give the tiniest of (XXXX’s) what the team that won something that every other team didn’t does with the banner commemorating it? If no other team ever hung a banner celebrating this, it’d be one thing. But every single team who has won it has a banner. I just don’t get why this one is humorous other than a way to take shots at a team and fan base.

Reactions: cptjeff

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The dichotomy of it being “silly” to hang a banner for this vs. “Western Conference Champs” from the playoffs is not lost on me.

Did you know it is statistically harder to win the league during the regular season than to win a Conference in the playoffs? For that matter, the odds of winning the Cup are the same as the Presidents’ Trophy. So it’s clearly not some arbitrary non-achievement.

Why does anyone give the tiniest of (XXXX’s) what the team that won something that every other team didn’t does with the banner commemorating it? If no other team ever hung a banner celebrating this, it’d be one thing. But every single team who has won it has a banner. I just don’t get why this one is humorous other than a way to take shots at a team and fan base.

Because of the English. As the other poster who offered up stand-up comics who consistently use the English language for the purposes of punchlines...this also applies.

"Champions" has a certain implication. Just like the AFC "Finalist" banner*, the banner should reflect what was actually won, regardless of if the thing that was won has any value.

A "President's Trophy" banner or "AFC Wildcard" would not receive nearly as much response online strictly because of the choice of words. It's also not dunking on the fan base, it's all about the owners / marketing teams not understanding how they could have made the situation just a little bit better.

Of course, the whole thing is dumb because its a discussion only available on because "the internet" created it for clicks (we fell into that trap).

*The Colts have since taken this down, admitting their mistake.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Because of the English. As the other poster who offered up stand-up comics who consistently use the English language for the purposes of punchlines...this also applies.

"Champions" has a certain implication. Just like the AFC "Finalist" banner*, the banner should reflect what was actually won, regardless of if the thing that was won has any value.

A "President's Trophy" banner or "AFC Wildcard" would not receive nearly as much response online strictly because of the choice of words. It's also not dunking on the fan base, it's all about the owners / marketing teams not understanding how they could have made the situation just a little bit better.

Of course, the whole thing is dumb because its a discussion only available on because "the internet" created it for clicks (we fell into that trap).

*The Colts have since taken this down, admitting their mistake.

Except that this represents something they did “actually win.” The league has recognized the regular season champion for decades, with teams hanging banners that said “NHL League Champions,” even before the NHL officially created a named trophy for it in 1986. So not only was this a recognized thing to win long before the trophy existed, but a trophy actually exists to commemorate the winning.

Why do people not get on teams for “Western/Eastern Conference Champion” banners? There are trophies named for each of those, but I don’t see anyone making a big fuss about not hanging a “Clarence Campbell Winner” banner, and hanging that banner is actually indicative of losing - or you’d be hanging a Cup banner instead. Additionally, there are two “Conference Champions” every season. There is one Regular Season Champ.

Just reeks of something that is being jumped on because of it being the Rangers, because these excuses don’t match reality.

Personally, I give about as much care to what banners any team hangs as to who my ex from high school 25 years ago is banging these days. To say: as close to zero as possible.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Except that this represents something they did “actually win.” The league has recognized the regular season champion for decades, with teams hanging banners that said “NHL League Champions,” even before the NHL officially created a named trophy for it in 1986. So not only was this a recognized thing to win long before the trophy existed, but a trophy actually exists to commemorate the winning.

Why do people not get on teams for “Western/Eastern Conference Champion” banners? There are trophies named for each of those, but I don’t see anyone making a big fuss about not hanging a “Clarence Campbell Winner” banner, and hanging that banner is actually indicative of losing - or you’d be hanging a Cup banner instead. Additionally, there are two “Conference Champions” every season. There is one Regular Season Champ.

Just reeks of something that is being jumped on because of it being the Rangers, because these excuses don’t match reality.

Personally, I give about as much care to what banners any team hangs as to who my ex from high school 25 years ago is banging these days. To say: as close to zero as possible.

I think because those are playoff results, which, as a whole, fans value higher than the regular season. I also think "Western/Eastern Champion" banners should be renamed to the trophies that were won.

I don't believe this to be true, there was the same convo around Nashville in 2018. But again, it is simply a "story" to generate clicks and comments by those "dunking" on Nashville and Preds fans defending it. It's the unfortunate Internet culture we live in.

Deadspin | This Predators Banner Is So Embarrassing

In the end, you're completely right. It doesn't mean anything, but we all have our ideas and preferences on how we would run things. Growing up, looking at the ceiling of the Coliseum was cool because of all the different Patrick Division, Wales/Campbell Conference hanging banners, but if I was Scott Malkin/John Ledecky there would be 4 Cup banners and the retired numbers, that's it.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Did they have a ceremony to raise it before the game? That would be dopey. If it is was already in the rafters when they started the season that is totally normal though it should use the present nomenclature.

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
The Rangers have a banner for this that goes back well before the NHL created the President's Trophy, so they're probably just trying to be consistent with their own internal precedent. The President's Trophy only goes back to 1986, and the Rangers history goes back a lot further than that.
Who is the President of the NHL?

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
I think because those are playoff results, which, as a whole, fans value higher than the regular season. I also think "Western/Eastern Champion" banners should be renamed to the trophies that were won.

I don't believe this to be true, there was the same convo around Nashville in 2018. But again, it is simply a "story" to generate clicks and comments by those "dunking" on Nashville and Preds fans defending it. It's the unfortunate Internet culture we live in.

Deadspin | This Predators Banner Is So Embarrassing

In the end, you're completely right. It doesn't mean anything, but we all have our ideas and preferences on how we would run things. Growing up, looking at the ceiling of the Coliseum was cool because of all the different Patrick Division, Wales/Campbell Conference hanging banners, but if I was Scott Malkin/John Ledecky there would be 4 Cup banners and the retired numbers, that's it.

Why does it say " Presidents' " and not President's trophy?

Reactions: Crow

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
All teams raise president's trophy banners. Its an accomplishment. They were the best team in the league through 82 games.

Whats more embarrassing are a lot of these fans bashing a president's trophy team when their team can't make the playoffs or if they do, get knocked out in round 1.

I don't see the need for the hate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad