Rangers Raise “Regular season Champions” banner.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'd probably do Presidents' Trophy for the seasons after 1986 just because it sounds significantly better, but nothing wrong with the tradition in itself.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
A quick Google images search shows that the Avalanche, Blackhawks, Blues, Bruins, Capitals, Flames, Hurricanes, Lightning, Oilers, Panthers, Penguins, Predators, Red Wings, Sabres, Senators, Sharks, and Stars all have banners for Presidents’ Trophy wins.

Given the award was created in 86, and 18 teams have won it, every team that has won it has hung a banner. So people are mostly trying to dunk on the wording that has been used by a franchise in existence for 60 years before the trophy was named, despite it signifying the exact same thing?

Some of you need a hobby.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hey now its not as and as the Colts AFC finalist banner :laugh:

_iiL6CdL_400x400.jpg

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
islander and devils fans can have their fun with this. Other then that why would you care lol
Devil fans haven't said shit about this. Read the thread, none of these posters are Devils fans.
Although, I can see why you'd assume Devil fans would jump at the chance to mock the Rangers, but we haven't done it at all here.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
"We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the CHAMPIONS of the REGULAR SEASON!!"

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Surprised they didn't have a
Damn, you're an Original 6 franchise steeped in history. You shouldn't have to resort to this Rangers. At least raise it as "President Trophy Champs".
"Steeped in history."

I could go to my back yard and find a really old rock. Wouldn't call it steeped in history.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s the wording. “President’s Trophy” is a thing, it’s respectable. “Regular Season Champ” is mockable and incredibly dumb.

Outside of the Denver arena it says "home of the NBA MVP and NHL MVP". I think it's in part because it's nice alignment "we have two MVPs" but in part because casual fans don't know what the Hart Trophy is.

Should have said "best record in the NHL" if they were worried people won't know what the Presidents' Trophy is. What did they call it in 2015?

kingsholygrail

1-0-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Why not just do President's Trophy? That's what the Blues did. Though I don't see the point in a "Western Conference Champions" banner for 2018-19.

View attachment 917315
The Western Conference has a trophy and the winner is considered the champion of the conference. The presidents trophy doesn't declare them the champion of anything, just the best record in the regular season. The only season champion I know of is the Stanley Cup Champion.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The Western Conference has a trophy and the winner is considered the champion of the conference. The presidents trophy doesn't declare them the champion of anything, just the best record in the regular season. The only season champion I know of is the Stanley Cup Champion.
“The Trophy was introduced at the start of the 1985–86 season by the League's Board of Governors to recognize the best team in the regular season, informally known as the regular season championship. Prior to this, the team that finished in first place when the regular season concluded was allowed to hang a banner reading ‘NHL League Champions.’”

Above is from Wikipedia.

Edmonton has an NHL League Champions which makes far less sense.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't have a problem with teams, businesses etc, celebrating some wins. There will be all kinds of reminders of how well you are not doing so take the positives where you can.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
In 93 the Kings raised their Campbell Conference Champions Banner before the 1st game of the Cup home opener. At that moment I knew they would not be getting a Cup banner. I just don't get the big celebrations in any sport unless it's the Championship.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Devil fans haven't said shit about this. Read the thread, none of these posters are Devils fans.
Although, I can see why you'd assume Devil fans would jump at the chance to mock the Rangers, but we haven't done it at all here.
I’m a habs fan I could care less. I just assumed devils fans would get a kick out of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad