Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Devils 10/19/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
And they look like the worst team in the league. You see it getting better any time soon? When is Nash coming back? Callahan is gone for a month. Lundqvist has been our saving grace, you ever seen him play this bad, EVER, at any point in ANY season? Cause I sure as hell haven't. 7 games which have been an extension of the pre-season.

Callahan will miss ~8 games. Hagelin will be back soon. Worst team in the league? Please. Typical HFNYR overreaction. I remember three days ago when this place was unicorns and rainbows. People around here seem top have short term memory.

Championship*

The vaunted Rangers youth movement is starting to show a little rust.

Part of the struggle is that the Rangers have yielded nothing close to NHL contributors from the 2009-2013 drafts.

Kreider, Miller, McIlrath and Skjei -- four straight 1st rounders and none are contributing.

Sather might want to look into trading a couple. Not a single one has shown they are worth holding on to, no matter what Pierre Mcguire says

Completely false on all accounts

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
The vaunted Rangers youth movement is starting to show a little rust.

Part of the struggle is that the Rangers have yielded nothing close to NHL contributors from the 2009-2013 drafts.

Kreider, Miller, McIlrath and Skjei -- four straight 1st rounders and none are contributing.

Sather might want to look into trading a couple. Not a single one has shown they are worth holding on to, no matter what Pierre Mcguire says

Yeah I forgot about those defensemen that aren't top 3 picks that just jump into the NHL in a year :shakehead.

JT is 20 god damn years old. Just because he can't play on a line with Toews and Hossa like Saad can doesn't mean he's a bad player. Kreider has been great in the AHL this year, and is 22. Have some ****ing patience would you? Didn't the Habs trade McD because they thought he was progressing "too slow"? Yeah, how'd that work out?

JR#9*

:help:

All four will be solid NHLers to varying degrees so to say they are not worth holding onto is crazy talk IMO.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
:help:

All four will be solid NHLers to varying degrees so to say they are not worth holding onto is crazy talk IMO.

What do you expect? The Rangers lost a game, I'm surprised nobody has started an "It's simple, we assassinate Glen Sather" thread.

Championship*

Callahan will miss ~8 games. Hagelin will be back soon. Worst team in the league? Please. Typical HFNYR overreaction. I remember three days ago when this place was unicorns and rainbows. People around here seem top have short term memory.

Callahan will miss 8 games? in 4 weeks they are only going to play 8 games?
Hagelin? Good player, but certainly not the answer to this team's problems. He'll also be coming in having missed training camp and not played since last may.

Check the stats. Look at them play. If you watched that game tonight and took away anything positive you got your head in the sand.

How about Henrik? Notice you avoided that one.

Don't lump me in with everyone else. Unless you can't read, I said I've been calling for a rebuild from the get-go. It's time. Time to stop kidding ourselves. That win in Washington didn't impress me one iota, because I knew a game like this was right around the corner.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Callahan will miss 8 games? in 4 weeks they are only going to play 8 games?
Hagelin? Good player, but certainly not the answer to this team's problems. He'll also be coming in having missed training camp and not played since last may.

Check the stats. Look at them play. If you watched that game tonight and took away anything positive you got your head in the sand.

How about Henrik? Notice you avoided that one.

Don't lump me in with everyone else. Unless you can't read, I said I've been calling for a rebuild from the get-go. It's time. Time to stop kidding ourselves. That win in Washington didn't impress me one iota, because I knew a game like this was right around the corner.

They don't even play for another 5 days after tonight. 3 games in the next two weeks. Callahan will probably be back around the 3 week mark, but he'll miss 10 games at the most.

Lundqvist? He always starts slow. Again, 7 games in. Maybe 25 games in these posts wouldn't be AS ridiculous and over reactionary. But 7 games. Forward lineup is decimated with injuries. New coach. New system.

I myself have stated several times that I think this is a transitional year. Their prospects in the AHL look great. Miller needs to be played at center or go back.

Championship*

They don't even play for another 5 days after tonight. 3 games in the next two weeks. Callahan will probably be back around the 3 week mark, but he'll miss 10 games at the most.

Lundqvist? He always starts slow. Again, 7 games in. Maybe 25 games in these posts wouldn't be AS ridiculous and over reactionary.

So is he missing 8 or 10 now? Regardless, it's still a decent amount of games without Callahan.

This isn't a Henrik slow start. Look at his stats. That's not slow. He's NEVER started this slow, or looked this bad. He looks horrendous. Never been able to say that before, even with a "slow start." This is the worst he has ever been in his career, at any point. Imagine if he had ever played like this before? 7 games which are an extension of the horrible preseason. It's the same **** over and over again. Enough, blow it up. Team isn't going anywhere.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Working great for Miller. There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving guys in the NHL to play big minutes and win. Baptism by fire? Nope. Shoving guys into a losing environment and playing them half the minutes they'd be getting in the AHL.

Who cares what the environment is? Winning and losing are part of the game. What matters is that they play. I agree that called up young players should be getting more minutes than they are getting now.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Fans love to overrate prospects. I remember with everyone thought Tomas Kloucek was going to save the franchise.

If you look at Kreider's draft class, he's been surpassed by two dozen of his peers at forward in both development and production. He's going to be 23 by the end of the season, most of which he'll probably spend in the minors.

McIlrath has been a disappointment, and he's injury prone. Staal made it to the NHL in two years. Del Zotto in one. This is the begiining of the fourth season in which McIlrath wasnt deserving of an NHL spot.

Skjei is good but he hasnt shown much. His ceiling was Bret Hedican, and he was a 4-7 guy his whole career. The guy never dominated at any level like McDonagh did in HS. Skjei is a long shot to make it as a top-4, let alone a star in the league.

Miller has a lot of promise, but lets be honest -- he's like Korpikoski. He'll never be more than a 3rd liner.

The rest? Look at Grachev, Fogarty, McColgan, MSC -- these guys stink.

There's nothing wrong with trading prospects, especially when they've hit a wall. Sather isnt the only GM who like reclamation projects.

You're not going to get scoring help by dangling Pyatt and Boyle. If Sather wants to improve his team and compete with Chicago and Boston and Pittsburgh, he's not going to do it with guys like taylor Pyatt and MZA playing in his top-6.

Lexus Dog

Jun 12, 2012
Brad Richards is literally our only forward playing who can score. This is terrifying. Callahan is obviously out, and Dorsett had that one, probably won't see another from him for a while.
Hand it to Brad. He admitted he slouched off during the lockout, worked hard this past offseason and is shooting the puck like a maniac. He will be bought out because the cap penalties are too punitive if he retires but I believe he has a solid season for the Rangers. He wants to be in New York and wants to be a Ranger.

Which leads me to Stepan. Ship him out. You don't want to be a Ranger? Fine. Now we send you to some dump like Calgary. Or anywhere but here. He looks like crap because of his holdout and it will cost us a lot of production.

Championship*

Who cares what the environment is? Winning and losing are part of the game. What matters is that they play. I agree that called up young players should be getting more minutes than they are getting now.

If what matters is that they play, why put them in a position on a bad team where they are getting little time instead of giving them a leadership role on a team that is winning and they are playing major minutes and contributing? Those players aren't going to be given major minutes in the NHL at this point.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
If what matters is that they play, why put them in a position on a bad team where they are getting little time instead of giving them a leadership role on a team that is winning and they are playing major minutes and contributing? Those players aren't going to be given major minutes in the NHL at this point.

You also have to show and earn getting top playing minutes. First, let them play. Then, you take it from there.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm sorry, this isn't an overreaction kind of post, BB. This team needs to be rebuilt. I didn't even like it that much heading into the season with the full roster.

There's just a lot of holes in the team. No offense, as usual. No top-flight scorers in our system, as Kreider right now is a HUGE question mark and outside of him, we don't have a player that projects as a top-6 player one day. Need scoring outside of Nash.

Championship*

Hand it to Brad. He admitted he slouched off during the lockout, worked hard this past offseason and is shooting the puck like a maniac. He will be bought out because the cap penalties are too punitive if he retires but I believe he has a solid season for the Rangers. He wants to be in New York and wants to be a Ranger.

Which leads me to Stepan. Ship him out. You don't want to be a Ranger? Fine. Now we send you to some dump like Calgary. Or anywhere but here. He looks like crap because of his holdout and it will cost us a lot of production.

Giving up on Stepan would be moronic. Shipping him out of NY out of spite would be even more so.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Trade for Thomas Vanek. As long as it's not McD or Stepan I don't care who goes. Just do it Sather. Please.

Even IF the Rangers acquired Vanek as a rental, the Rangers would need to give up something of value as a return. They're not going to give up a 40-goal scoring winger, for spare parts, when they KNOW the Rangers are desperate for an offensive dynamic forward.

Quite frankly, we don't have anyone of value to give for Vanek. Pouliot? Brassard? MZA? Boyle? The GM is going to turn down every one of them.

Unless their organization is high on Kreider/Miller, which I doubt, we don't have a top notch youthful prospect nor quality established players to acquire Vanek. They would easily get a better deal elsewhere.

And Stepan looks terrible. I'm not as high on him as a lot of the Ranger fans are. I don't think he will be much more than a 60-65 point center in his peak. He doesn't have the skill set to amount to anything more than that IMO. Last year he played great, but I don't think it will be indicative of his career moving forward. He's had a terrible start to the season, no training camp or not, he isn't playing at the level we need him to. Could he have been? Maybe. Maybe, if he didn't hold out for more money and went to the training camp. But that's on him and his agent. If he doesn't elevate his play by the trade deadline I would deal him if the right trade came up. No forward on this team is untouchable.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well, glad I missed this one. Just got back from watching the Islanders lose to the Canes.

Surprised we lost 4-0 to NJ though. I expected them to be hungry, given the rivalry and them needing their first win, but I thought we'd be carrying momentum from Washington and that it would end up something like 3-2 for either team.

Can't comment on the game, but it's definitely frustrating that we're only seeming to be capable of one good game out of every 3 or 4.

Championship*

Avoid the hank questions till he wins and then he will be God again. He has been horrible so far enough said

No two ways about it. He's been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this season so far. Hard to hear, even harder to say but it's true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad