Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 20th Overall Pick - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok so I gotta ask guys like @Edge @bobbop @Amazing Kreiderman @RangerBoy what are the odds that Trouba signs long term here? I have a buddy of mine in Michigan and he keeps fighting with me all day saying he has inside info that Trouba will only sign with Detroit and he’s coming home. This guy also told me way before that Stevie Y was coming home as well. I’ve been arguing all day with him about the likelihood of Trouba signing long term here. Help a brotha out.

I doubt Gorton would have made this deal if there was no chance of Trouba signing with us.

When we traded for Fox, it took 3 days for him to sign a contract. I think the contract will happen after the draft, and maybe even in July. There's no rush though, unlike Fox. I still believe the Rangers traded for, and signed Fox early to have him under contract and make him available for Team USA at the Worlds, with Drury being the USA GM, and the Rangers feeling it's valuable experience gained for Fox

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ok so I gotta ask guys like @Edge @bobbop @Amazing Kreiderman @RangerBoy what are the odds that Trouba signs long term here? I have a buddy of mine in Michigan and he keeps fighting with me all day saying he has inside info that Trouba will only sign with Detroit and he’s coming home. This guy also told me way before that Stevie Y was coming home as well. I’ve been arguing all day with him about the likelihood of Trouba signing long term here. Help a brotha out.

Well, I don't mean to/am not attempting to insult your buddy but once Stevie Y left Tampa, wasn't it common knowledge he was going to return to Detroit? I wouldn't worry too much.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I still don't understand why WPG didn't allow teams to talk to the agent re extension. That would have upped the value. Is there a red flag there? Or at least an explanation?
I initially didnt understand this either as a Jets fan, unless it shrunk his demand furthermore. it was clear he wanted out of Canada b/c of his fiance. But if other teams had the chance to speak to KO, they could have pulled out of the bidding completely. There's buzz going around that KO spilled the beans that Trouba would only extend in NY.

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Well, I don't mean to/am not attempting to insult your buddy but once Stevie Y left Tampa, wasn't it common knowledge he was going to return to Detroit? I wouldn't worry too much.
He told me even before he left Tampa. He’s been adamant all day telling me he’s not signing here long term.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
That, and I'm pretty sure there's a reason he was traded here. Could have been moved elsewhere, for a much better return I'm sure. Only reason he doesn't sign here, Rangers throw some low-ball contract at the guy and he's traded at the deadline. Realistically however, the guy fits into the rebuild model, and it's not the organizational M.O. It's not your typical trade deadline acquisition for a playoff run, this a long term solution that addresses a hard to fill need..

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I would have to guess the telling sign would be if he signs rather fast or it drags out.

timing doesn't really matter as much as the deal...he will either sign a long term deal or a 1 year deal (thru arbitration) if he wants to be a UFA next year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I still don't understand why WPG didn't allow teams to talk to the agent re extension. That would have upped the value. Is there a red flag there? Or at least an explanation?
Apparently he was only interested in 1-2 teams long-term, so maybe they wanted to try to conceal that fact by not letting those conversations about his long-term future happen.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I'm not one of those users but reading between the lines of the interviews of Gorts and Trouba himself, it seems pretty evident that he signs long term with the Rangers, or at least there's a real concerted effort to do so - and quickly.

Trouba said he could "see himself in NY for a long time". His wife wants to start a residency somewhere to become a doctor. Some of the best hospitals in the world are in NYC area. She wouldn't want to cut that short after a full year of getting her feet wet somewhere. They seem to be committed to that dream as a couple and that was a big factor for them leaving Winnipeg.

That may be even more important than what Trouba wants in the way of location. She made a sacrifice for him for however many years and now the tables have turned. I don't even think they realize how lucky they are in that way just yet. Once they get a taste of the city and surrounding areas and what it has to offer from a medical profession pov it will be a no-brainer for them to stick around.

On the other side, Gorts seemed very confident a deal could get done. He was actually more candid about it than in past conversations stating "I expect negotiations to begin over the next couple of days". Troubas agent is also Jesper Fast's agent so there's no need for an ice breaking period - and who know's they may have already had some "off the record" discussions about his client already. Just because the Jets "refused" other teams to talk to Trouba and his agent doesn't mean there's any penalty that can be levied.

My guess is well see a 5-7 year deal anywhere from 7-8 million per.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Why do you say that? You make this trade every day of the week even if he promises in writing with his own blood he will never sign an extension with you

as a rebuilding team, no you don't. not saying that he had any guarantees that he says but this trade isn't made for next year. the trade is made with the intention of having trouba as part of the blueline for the next 7 years. if he knew for sure that we couldn't keep him then no chance they trade a 1st

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Replace "snipe" with "scorer"...puts the biscuits in the basket...lol
Ok, then we’re drafting someone who’s probably going to be as good or better in a little over 3 days, and once he’s up for his second contract, I think having $20+m tied up in 2 wingers is a bad way to allocate cap dollars

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Ok, then we’re drafting someone who’s probably going to be as good or better in a little over 3 days, and once he’s up for his second contract, I think having $20+m tied up in 2 wingers is a bad way to allocate cap dollars
I understand where you're coming from, but one of the two hasn't even played an NHL minute. I hope your right with every ounce of my being, but Panarin is proven...If what you're saying were to come to fruition, I wouldn't mind being in that position TBH...not a bad problem to have... :)

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
You also have to remember Hank's contract will be up (as will a few others), going to have a few extra pennies for folks aka K.K or Hughes by that time..

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Here's my question. If teams weren't allowed to talk with Trouba how would they know if he was/was not interested in going there? Winnipeg controlled his rights, so they could have sent him wherever they wanted. Obviously the Rangers deal had to be the best offer on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad