OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I almost posted about not really caring about the W/L after that Cards series loss, but in the spirit of talking myself into it a bit: one nice thing here is that we're now set-up with all the top relievers on good rest headed into the remainder of the series.

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1720228820044.png

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Wow, that was fun.

Rowdy-mania is here and it is palpable. Haven't seen such a big turnaround from a sub-replacement player to a middle of the lineup slugger. I must say that Cherington has done tons of terrible things this year but his unwavering faith in Tellez has paid off.

Suwinski's ABs are starting to look really, really good. He's seeing the strike zone and he isn't missing the baseball (off of righties).

Reynolds has been really good right-handed this year.

Come on Bailey Falter. Plz.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
My wife and both boys were there. Their first time seeing a grand slam x2. I should have gone, but Nutting stops me.
Well, 1996 was the last time the pirates did it
How many times have the Pirates had a switch hitter hit a home run from both sides of the plate in one game?
I believe Bobby Bonilla was the last

Skenes like a Nolan-esque career start

Anyway, today was living history. Take it in.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Ironically, Reynolds tied Bonilla with his 114th home run as a Pirate.

And against the team that pays Bonilla $1.14 million every July 1 until 2031.
Still like ELEVEN years of Bobby Bonilla days to go through still

Amazing

That's wild that 2 guys haven't hit a homer and grand slam in the same game ever

There's been like 400,000 MLB games with like a million players

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's pretty delusional to say this, but we should be backing up a Brinks truck to Skenes' place and telling him to name his price.

He is a phenom who is already scheduled viewing and a gate draw that we have not seen before in Pittsburgh. I don't think that's an exaggeration. I don't think there's really any precedent for young pitchers getting big contracts, and there's certainly plenty of time to speculate about how specifics could work, but after tonight, there's no doubt in my mind at all.

He's going to get even better, but he is the franchise. There's no excuse for a team that has almost no payroll commitments to speak of at all. Otherwise, and I hate bringing this up on such a positive night, but otherwise the reality is very brutal. If you look at him like Cole and so many others who have come before him, then what it adds up to is that he has 3 more years as a Pirate after this one.

If there's no extension, that's it. That's why it's worth being livid with how this front office prepared for this season. I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but given this, it would have been better to play more games with Skenes to ensure the additional service. An extension of at least some kind puts an end to that, and -- again I don't think this is hyperbolic -- extends the window to win until whatever date is on the contract. It really is that simple. Getting to the playoffs is far from simple for this team, but having the ace that can tip the whole equation in a playoff series is the hardest part.

Yes, he could get hurt for 1.5 years at some point, but when you add the obvious top of the class skillset to the instant draw at the gate, there just has to be no other conclusion. Despite the fact that I think sober analysis suggests it's not happening, there should be enormous pressure on the front office and ownership to get something done and really stake a claim on trying to win.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
It's pretty delusional to say this, but we should be backing up a Brinks truck to Skenes' place and telling him to name his price.

He is a phenom who is already scheduled viewing and a gate draw that we have not seen before in Pittsburgh. I don't think that's an exaggeration. I don't think there's really any precedent for young pitchers getting big contracts, and there's certainly plenty of time to speculate about how specifics could work, but after tonight, there's no doubt in my mind at all.

He's going to get even better, but he is the franchise. There's no excuse for a team that has almost no payroll commitments to speak of at all. Otherwise, and I hate bringing this up on such a positive night, but otherwise the reality is very brutal. If you look at him like Cole and so many others who have come before him, then what it adds up to is that he has 3 more years as a Pirate after this one.

If there's no extension, that's it. That's why it's worth being livid with how this front office prepared for this season. I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but given this, it would have been better to play more games with Skenes to ensure the additional service. An extension of at least some kind puts an end to that, and -- again I don't think this is hyperbolic -- extends the window to win until whatever date is on the contract. It really is that simple. Getting to the playoffs is far from simple for this team, but having the ace that can tip the whole equation in a playoff series is the hardest part.

Yes, he could get hurt for 1.5 years at some point, but when you add the obvious top of the class skillset to the instant draw at the gate, there just has to be no other conclusion. Despite the fact that I think sober analysis suggests it's not happening, there should be enormous pressure on the front office and ownership to get something done and really stake a claim on trying to win.

What would it take to get him to sign on for 10 years in the off season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad