F Miroslav Holinka - Třinec, Czechia (2024, 151st, TOR)

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Another Czech entering this year's draft who has established himself in the Extraliga. At the end of last year, Holinka scored his first goal. He continued to attract attention in the new year. And two days ago, and in today's game he made an assist. He also had the best (tied with another player) +/- on his team in both games.
He currently has a league PPG of 0.43. When else has a player had such numbers in his pre-draft season?

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I've seen 2 games of his this season. He's very puck-aware, it's almost like the Movie 'Predator' with the thermal vision how well he spots the puck in game. The only thing I questioned was that once the puck reaches his stick he's not always in full control at times. I think sometimes he's a little too quick and fancy for his own good. There is a lot of maturity to his game so it's possible that's something he'll be able to control as he gets more comfortable with his game.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes somewhere between rounds 3-5.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Already making an impression in camp

Been a consistent standout this week
Yup! Oil kings and U20 hopefully at xmas. Think he will be a riser once he adjusts to north american life (lot of cZechs have struggles at first with away from home, language and systems). Really hope it pans out! He will have jecho to help him. Smid was a coach there but I think he's gone now which is a shame.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Holinka was a standout amongst the draftees. After watching a few of his highlights I’m just shocked he didn’t go first or second round. He doesn’t have any obvious weaknesses to his game.

I have to assume that scouts are just not watching Czech players as often as they used to.

Reactions: czech and Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Holinka was a standout amongst the draftees. After watching a few of his highlights I’m just shocked he didn’t go first or second round. He doesn’t have any obvious weaknesses to his game.

I have to assume that scouts are just not watching Czech players as often as they used to.
For me there are two reasons I wouldn’t have drafted him in the top two rounds:

1) He’s really mature physically. A late 05 birthday, so one of the older players of the draft, and his pro frame was a big reason why he scored as much as he did at the U20 level. NHL teams obviously have a lot more information, like parents’ and siblings’ heights, but from the outside, it’s easy to assume there won’t be much physical growth left and he’ll have to fully rely on skill and mental development to make the NHL.

2) He’s a good two-way player who doesn’t get too flashy, and when he does, he skates straight at opponents to dangle through them. That doesn’t usually translate for players like him. From what I’ve seen, I didn’t think he was the most consistent passer. So I like his two-way upside and shot, but he just screams bottom six.

I really like the player and would love to have him in the organization, but I don’t think he should’ve gone higher than 4th round.

Reactions: Czechboy

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

Yes it must be every single team and scouting service not watching a player from a major hockey country, not the player.

Reactions: pgfan66

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Yes it must be every single team and scouting service not watching a player from a major hockey country, not the player.
Not only this, but it’s extremely important to draw draft conclusions upon viewing the summer development camp 😂 but in all seriousness it was a good bet to make for the leafs. Interested to see his development

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
For me there are two reasons I wouldn’t have drafted him in the top two rounds:

1) He’s really mature physically. A late 05 birthday, so one of the older players of the draft, and his pro frame was a big reason why he scored as much as he did at the U20 level. NHL teams obviously have a lot more information, like parents’ and siblings’ heights, but from the outside, it’s easy to assume there won’t be much physical growth left and he’ll have to fully rely on skill and mental development to make the NHL.

2) He’s a good two-way player who doesn’t get too flashy, and when he does, he skates straight at opponents to dangle through them. That doesn’t usually translate for players like him. From what I’ve seen, I didn’t think he was the most consistent passer. So I like his two-way upside and shot, but he just screams bottom six.

I really like the player and would love to have him in the organization, but I don’t think he should’ve gone higher than 4th round.
He was ranked as the 31st best European skater available by NHL central scouting. In my opinion a guy with few weaknesses could have been ranked even higher.

He’s got very soft hands with finishing ability with some size and a two way game at the centre ice position. What’s not to like here? Could have easily been drafted in the second round. He dominated development camp.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

As a percentage of guys in the NHL Czechia isn’t a major hockey country. Their last major international victory was in ‘98 with Jagr and Hasek. Few scouts would’ve seen this guy play live as he only played a handful of games in the men’s league.

I’m not complaining. If more scouts had seen him play my guess is that he goes second round.

Reactions: czech

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He was ranked as the 31st best European skater available by NHL central scouting. In my opinion a guy with few weaknesses could have been ranked even higher.

He’s got very soft hands with finishing ability with some size and a two way game at the centre ice position. What’s not to like here? Could have easily been drafted in the second round. He dominated development camp.
I laid out in my post what might be not to like about him. I also said I did like the player, just not much higher than he went. Not sure what’s left unclear here.

As a percentage of guys in the NHL Czechia isn’t a major hockey country. Their last major international victory was in ‘98 with Jagr and Hasek. Few scouts would’ve seen this guy play live as he only played a handful of games in the men’s league.

I’m not complaining. If more scouts had seen him play my guess is that he goes second round.
You really think scouts don’t watch Czech juniors and particularly Trinec with Holinka, Sikora and Mrtka all playing on the same team? The times when NHL scouts didn’t watch European juniors are long gone.

Reactions: Goodman68

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I laid out in my post what might be not to like about him. I also said I did like the player, just not much higher than he went. Not sure what’s left unclear here.

You really think scouts don’t watch Czech juniors and particularly Trinec with Holinka, Sikora and Mrtka all playing on the same team? The times when NHL scouts didn’t watch European juniors are long gone.

I think your reasons for not rating the player higher are flimsy. So now his size is a detriment? lol get real.

His offense is limited because he drives the net or handles the puck in straight lines?

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.

Holinka rates highly in what are the most important characteristics in a professional hockey player. Skating, size, IQ, puck handling, shooting ability, positional awareness and compete level etc. There’s no reason to think his development curve will be flat as he’s shown consistent progress up to this point.

Players are passed over or fall in the draft because of holes in their games or some physical limitation. Holinka is close to being a complete player who plays a critical position. Generally speaking those guys get drafted in the first two rounds. Even if he maxes out as a third liner that’s still a win as most 5th rounders don’t get a taste of the NHL.

I would take Holinka well ahead of a high school star for example as he’s a much safer pick.

Reactions: czech and Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I think your reasons for not rating the player higher are flimsy. So now his size is a detriment? lol get real.

His offense is limited because he drives the net or handles the puck in straight lines?

Holinka rates highly in what are the most important characteristics in a professional hockey player. Skating, size, IQ, puck handling, shooting ability, positional awareness and compete level etc. There’s no reason to think his development curve will be flat as he’s shown consistent progress up to this point.

Players are passed over or fall in the draft because of holes in their games or some physical limitation. Holinka is close to being a complete player who plays a critical position. Generally speaking those guys get drafted in the first two rounds. Even if he maxes out as a third liner that’s still a win as most 5th rounders don’t get a taste of the NHL.

I would take Holinka well ahead of a high school star for example as he’s a much safer pick.
I read a lot of praise for him here, I'm curious about him for the WJC. In fact, I practically did not register him in the national team. He played one big tournament and that was the U18 championship, where they had a really bad coach and there he was unimpressive in terms of play, just like all the other players.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

Yeah, we’ll have to agree to disagree here. Because it doesn’t seem like you’re even trying to actually understand my points and rather give me a “lol get real”. Oh well.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah, we’ll have to agree to disagree here. Because it doesn’t seem like you’re even trying to actually understand my points and rather give me a “lol get real”. Oh well.
I think he’s hinting that being large is usually not a detriment , but rather an asset . Plenty of players are projected to fill out … but ultimately don’t . So being a finished product there isn’t particularly bad news to me . Know very little of the player but if he becomes anything that’s great value

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it was mentioned he did well against his peers but wasn't as great against men which makes sense, he's not considered a top prospect.

I think WHL could be good for him, Leafs need centres, Czechia is producing more talent these days and if he works out to be a middle 6 guy with a good 2-way game, what's not to like?

Reactions: WillNy29

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I ranked him 50th. He blitzed the U19 Five Nations after doing the same to the ELJ. The only reason he fell was because the NHL is a copycat league (except for Carolina and a few others) and they ditched pure skill up front for size on the back end. Some of the players drafted ahead of him were beyond puzzling. He should have been a high fourth-rounder at worst. He’s a very smart center with substance and skating ability who is 6-foot-1, which makes where he was drafted even more perplexing. Great pick for the Leafs and I’m happy people are noticing him.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I think he’s hinting that being large is usually not a detriment , but rather an asset . Plenty of players are projected to fill out … but ultimately don’t . So being a finished product there isn’t particularly bad news to me . Know very little of the player but if he becomes anything that’s great value
I understand the point. But there's a difference between profiting from your frame and destroying a junior league because you're more physically mature than most, and the closer you are to a finished product physically, the more you'll have to improve in other areas to reach the next level.

Like @WTFMAN99 said, Holinka dominated juniors but didn't show nearly as well in his pro games. And to @RoadWarrior's point, I don't think any of his tools are high-end. He's very mature in some regards and has some pro traits, but despite all that, he still didn't look like a high-end prospect in the Extraliga.

For me, that means he's exactly the type of player I'd want to draft in the fifth round. I'd love to have him in my organization. But I wouldn't have used a second or third on him. And that won't change if he's an NHL third-liner in six years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I understand the point. But there's a difference between profiting from your frame and destroying a junior league because you're more physically mature than most, and the closer you are to a finished product physically, the more you'll have to improve in other areas to reach the next level.

Like @WTFMAN99 said, Holinka dominated juniors but didn't show nearly as well in his pro games. And to @RoadWarrior's point, I don't think any of his tools are high-end. He's very mature in some regards and has some pro traits, but despite all that, he still didn't look like a high-end prospect in the Extraliga.

For me, that means he's exactly the type of player I'd want to draft in the fifth round. I'd love to have him in my organization. But I wouldn't have used a second or third on him. And that won't change if he's an NHL third-liner in six years.

One thing that might help him is the WHL schedule, more games than what he might get in Czechia.

The way you can improve your skills etc is basically to practice them more, get coaching from professionals etc.

Maybe you get a 2C, maybe you get a 3C and maybe you don't bother signing him because he's a bust.

You kinda sit back and see.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It is incredibly rare for first-year-eligibles to play consistently well in the Extraliga, especially for a deep contending team like Trinec. It is a physical league with big defensemen and good goaltending, which are two of several reasons why teenagers don’t produce on a consistent level. Take most of the best Czech prospects over the last 10 years and look at their draft-year stats. Necas, Chytil, Kaut, Sale, Mysak, Kulich all produced around the same numbers-wise.

I disagree that Holinka didn’t play well against men. He was promoted as a reward on a team that was loaded at center. If you go back and watch the games he certainly held his own, won dzone faceoffs, played the body, and was creating chances as best a fourth-line center could. It wasn’t like he was a turnover machine or making bad decisions in coverage all the time. Trinec was a very good team and the fact that Sikora and Holinka got more than a few games is a testament to their abilities. I never watched a game and thought he looked overmatched or weak. Put him on a lesser team and he probably plays 40 games as a 3C.

But all this is moot, IMO. He got drafted and the Leafs’ center crop on the prospect side was stable but needed additional options with upside. I would still temper expectations after a dev camp tweet, but I foresee Holinka having a good run in North America, impressing at the WJC, and at a minimum making the Marlies top-9 in 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad