OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I mean, I understand the cynicism, but we will most likely than not have a better record than last season, our starting rotation for next year should be VERY solid.... there are reasons to be optimistic.
If they would have spent 20-25 million this offseason on bats, this roster would be challenging for the division currently. Pathetic

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty much couldn't draw up a worse start to this stretch of games.

Fangraphs put that article out several weeks ago that proclaimed the Cardinals were dead and they've been torrid ever since then.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
They just aren’t a serious organization. The third baseman can’t remember how many outs there are. They can’t slide,,,like as a team.

Suwinski and Grandal are horrible but they’re in the lineup every day. The manager has zero gravitas. The team doesn’t have discipline and he’s responsible for that culture. Meanwhile the GM thinks he’s outsmarting the public because what we are actually seeing with our own eyes apparently doesn’t exist. He should run for office.

Oh and f*** Bob nutting

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Well suwinski might have given life back into the game with a 3 run shot

Still just bad to use our challenge back in the first
Keller was shaky at best

Bad first half of game
Yeah, not a great start. Especially after your manager has declared you as the "the ace and leader of the staff. He is OUR GUY."

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Guy on 2nd, no one out. Not even close to a run.

Cherington essentially said the other day he wasn't trading for anyone and they'll have to find answers from within.

I actually believe they want to intentionally lose.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Well, 4 runs with this team and Keller on the mound, should be an automatic win. However, we likely wouldn't score those runs if Keller gave up 2 runs and under.

Sad state of affairs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Well deserved loss but what a lame way to come out after a day off against a division opponent

Put it together tomorrow
Yeah, I think the reality of competing for playoff spot could be shaping up. With the Cards waking up, we are now 4 games back. With 4 teams to jump over to grab that last spot.

Just treading water ain't gonna cut it.

They just aren’t a serious organization. The third baseman can’t remember how many outs there are. They can’t slide,,,like as a team.

Suwinski and Grandal are horrible but they’re in the lineup every day. The manager has zero gravitas. The team doesn’t have discipline and he’s responsible for that culture. Meanwhile the GM thinks he’s outsmarting the public because what we are actually seeing with our own eyes apparently doesn’t exist. He should run for office.

Oh and f*** Bob nutting
Where the lie at?

Wow, that's damning. They aren't ready to play coming back.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Grandal should have been benched after the lob-toss home steal AND then to keep lobbing it that game and more after

The loss today isn't on him... But he's so often an offensive blackhole. At least someone else struggling, like Suwinski, SOMETIMES hits useful stuff.

The bottom of our order always giving the top of the order one or two outs to start with, sucks. Just f***s up our chance to get runs on the board. They need to fix 6-9 badly.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That game has to just be hung on Keller. The team is mediocre enough that we can come up with other reasons, but he got smacked around in 5 innings and that just can't happen.

With the way to Mets look lately, as well as the Cardinals being in good form, this homestand now has some serious bad vibes potential. We might look back and think 2-4 would have been a godsend.

Everything is just so mercurial with this team. Big spotlight on Jones tomorrow after his spot was skipped. Mikolas has not really been in good form at all, but he went 7 IP and 1 hit vs us a few weeks ago. Perez vs Pallante on Thursday is a toss up at best.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Yeah, I think the reality of competing for playoff spot could be shaping up. With the Cards waking up, we are now 4 games back. With 4 teams to jump over to grab that last spot.

Just treading water ain't gonna cut it.
They’ve done a fine job “treading water” too with this goofy streak that’s now close to 2 months of not having lost more than 2 straight but also not having won more than 2 straight.

Even if they keep that going, if they can’t go at least 4-3 on this homestand, they’re cooked in my mind. And even 4-3, while it keeps the charade going… oh yay, back to 2 games under .500! Need to be better at home against two teams you’re fighting with for a wild card spot if you’re serious. And I don’t think they’re serious.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Lost in all the (proper) angst over the shit show offseason additions of Grandal, Taylor, etc., it shouldn't be lost that Hayes has 3 extra-base hits since coming off the DL on May 29 and has an OPS under .600.

Sounds like the Pirates were going to send Suwinski down for Palacios but changed their minds after last night's game. Not a serious organization in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coastal Kev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Considering Skenes and Jones graduated, I wouldn’t expect many more than 2 or 3 top-100 prospects for the Pirates at this point. With that said, the fall of Johnson is a huge concern to me.

They really need to move some of these SP prospects for batter help. They have 3 top of the rotation starters locked up for the next 5 years, they don’t need to have a billion top SP prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad