OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nice job getting the win here, gotta squeak out these close games especially with the loss yesterday. Hell of an outing by Jones as well, really nice bounceback after a couple of rough games.

Not a fan of sheetz but their fried chicken sammiches are legit.

Yeah like Sheetz isn't anything amazingly incredible, but not having that kind of MTO place absolutely sucks.

When your best option is 7/11, Sheetz and GetGo look incredible. I don't even wish I had it because it was great, it was just super convenient to get decent fried food in like 5-10 minutes at a gas station.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Chapman has gotten the results a lot more consistently lately, but he's just a struggle to watch. You can still see how badly the hitters can be fooled when he's pitching, but the wildness makes him below the elite level he was for so long.

Regardless, took care of business and gave Skenes a chance to slam the door on an important series W. Icing on the cake is that the Reds might have choked away a lead late in their game.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Chapman has gotten the results a lot more consistently lately, but he's just a struggle to watch. You can still see how badly the hitters can be fooled when he's pitching, but the wildness makes him below the elite level he was for so long.

Regardless, took care of business and gave Skenes a chance to slam the door on an important series W. Icing on the cake is that the Reds might have choked away a lead late in their game.

It is what it is. With Bednar hurt and Stratton hurt, we have to use him. He is a nightmare matchup for hitters, still.

Interesting to see McAdoo get promoted from H-A to AA.
Greensboro has a few college hitters that torched that league (McAdoo, Cimillo, Ross) where a lack of promotion speaks volumes about how the Pirates view these guys as prospects. It was kinda shocking that Brannigan didn't break camp with Altoona but he's justified the staff's decision with a very mid performance so far.

Also we are nearing returns from Bae and Bart. Both of which are badly needed. Bart should be getting 70% of starts and will offer some needed help for the bottom of the order. I also think Bae has earned a month-long look as an everyday CF once he is back. The stats didn't bear it out in his short sample size but he looked like a much more dangerous hitter in 2024. Suwinski is lost again and Taylor has been our worst offensive player most of the year.

I would even consider dropping Taylor for Palacios but I think the team has to consider its reputation with future free agents to some extent. This goes for Grandal vs. Delay as well. I think Palacios was an underrated part of our .500 August/September run last year and put together some good ABs against righties and lefties. Maybe a Joe phantom DL stint is in order to get him right, and give Palacios a 2024 look with the big club.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Not a fan of sheetz but their fried chicken sammiches are legit.

I've had subs from there a few times and the bread is crap. Very dry and not much of an improvement over what subway offers. Wawa's subs are slightly better but still not great.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Thankfully Rosario looks like just a couple stitches.

But Brandon Lowe broke his pinky toe.

Hopefully they don't pay us back and just realize that Jones was out of control and not malicious.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Unfortunate to have the double whammy of potential bad weather coupled with Bednar going to the IL.

I've said before that I am pretty hesitant to throw around "must win game" in June, simply because it's not true and because if it were true, then it's the case for basically every game for such a mediocre team as ours. But setting that to one side, this is obviously an opportunity that you don't want to pass up.

Win today and we'll see if we can take it to the Reds again to finally climb back over .500. It seems like The Braves are still making a big surge despite the blows of their best hitter and best pitcher, so that's not going to be an easy series. Can't leave this one on the table.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yeah we need to win division games, but hell, we need to win as much as we can

Let's just go into the 8-9th with like six run leads and not "need" bednar. Simple. Lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Forecast looks good for the next four hours or so, maybe a spotty shower if that. Storms roll in tonight.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Grandal has to go when Bart is back. I don't think Delay has a ton of upside but he is more than competent as a defensive backup and has earned his MLB spot.

Grandal mucking up routine plays and doing stuff like the lob throws in Colorado as a veteran just leaves a terrible taste in your mouth.

Reactions: WickedWrister

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Deal with Josh Palacious? See he only has 89 at bats, but is batting like .300.

Dude should be up here for Suwinsky if he's healthy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Skenes is so poised. You can tell that he's trying to be efficient and get deep into this game, but he gets some bad bounces against him and just doesn't even flinch. Walls and Jackson are exactly the kind of bad hitters that it's fine to face with some traffic and less than 2 outs. He executes every pitch perfectly and just calmly slams the door.

We got absurdly lucky to have him at pick 1.1. The sports and how you have to build are vastly different, but it isn't unlike the Pens getting Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad