OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Watched this podcast/mock draft tonight to shake off the taste of that bad loss. I don't know too much about these guys, but they seem to be pretty plugged in with various rumors and speculation (including talking to people who seem to matter). Some notes:

- One new thing they mention that I haven't seen yet is the possibility that the Reds could like 1 of Bazzana or Condon a lot more, and if Cleveland goes for that guy, then maybe they pivot to the college pitcher they like most. This makes some sense as they went for Lowder last year, though there was also a pretty clear group of position players that all went before their pick. That said, if they prefer one guy a lot more, then there's some logic to this in terms of their window and none of the college guys playing a premium position.

- They present it as being unanimous that the Rockies are locked on a pitcher and the A's are locked on a college hitter.

- The Royals are again noted as a wildcard team. They mock Montgomery to him here, but float the idea of a big surprise like Honeycutt being within the realm of possibility. I don't think anything can be ruled out after they took Frank Mozzicato a few years ago. Honeycutt would be a phenomenal guy to see taken ahead of us because I want no part of him at 9.

- They have the Cardinals getting Kurtz here, but present them as basically a team that can sit back and see how the board falls to them. They mention being ok with one of the pitchers if he's there, Montgomery, Wetherholt, etc. This is the sense I have gotten in reading other mocks and it also tracks with their bonus pool not being large, though I'm not sure how much that is going to actually matter for their pick.

- Again with the Angels and college hitter/quick to majors. Here they have Wetherholt because of how the board has unfolded.

- Finally, for us they note that Kurtz or Wetherholt would both be great, but in this mock they aren't available. They also say that if Burns or Smith end up here, it would be intriguing for us, which I definitely agree with. They have us taking Tibbs, noting that he is getting tons of play in the 6-10 range of mocks and rumors.

That basically covers it. There seems to be an implicit sense about a top group of 8 college guys: Bazzana, Condon, Burns, Smith, Wetherholt, Montgomery, Kurtz, and Caglione, which obviously makes it a shame that we're picking 9th. That said, Griffin and Rainer probably belong somewhere close to this group, and it doesn't seem like it will take much for one of them to go in the 5-10 range. To me, the White Sox, Cardinals, and maybe the Angels (in a necessary pivot) all make sense for a prep player.

In short, these are the x-factors to keep an eye out for over the next few weeks:
1) Do either of the top prep guys jump into the picks ahead of us? This would be a great thing for us.
2) Does a team like the Royals or White Sox "get weird" with their pick and go with someone not in that group of 8 or even the prep guys? This would be even better, probably the best possible outcome.
3) Exactly what happens with the two pitchers, Smith and Burns? I kind of think this is crucial for Kurtz having a better chance to get to us and/or an unexpected player like Montgomery or Wetherholt to become viable. Somewhat in combination with #2, the possibility of both Smith and Burns going high and then the Angels going for a guy like Yesavage who would move quickly seems like it's within the realm of possibility.

I think the Pirates are in a similar situation as they describe for the Cardinals: able to sit back and see how things break for them. A bat has to be the preference, but in the strange event that an impact pitcher like Burns is there, you figure out the rest later because the value is too good. It's impossible to have too much good pitching. Maybe a guy has a significant injury when Burns is ready to debut in 2026 or so? You can always trade pitching as well.

Personally, it's still Kurtz for me, because there's just no player like that in the system and it would fit so perfectly with what we never seem to be able to find. It potentially allows you to shift your focus entirely to OF help either at the deadline or in the winter, as you could cover 1B with Joe and some other part-time platoon player while Kurtz hopefully moves fairly quick next year.

Montgomery and Wetherholt both seem like perfectly great options who we might not otherwise have a chance at picking 9th if it were not for their injury issues. And Tibbs doesn't really seem like a bad option either, as he's an all around bat who fits comfortably into a corner for us. It might also be worth noting that Tibbs had a good season on the Cape last summer with wooden bats, and that fits with what the Pirates like.

Reactions: td_ice

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Watched this podcast/mock draft tonight to shake off the taste of that bad loss. I don't know too much about these guys, but they seem to be pretty plugged in with various rumors and speculation (including talking to people who seem to matter). Some notes:

- One new thing they mention that I haven't seen yet is the possibility that the Reds could like 1 of Bazzana or Condon a lot more, and if Cleveland goes for that guy, then maybe they pivot to the college pitcher they like most. This makes some sense as they went for Lowder last year, though there was also a pretty clear group of position players that all went before their pick. That said, if they prefer one guy a lot more, then there's some logic to this in terms of their window and none of the college guys playing a premium position.

- They present it as being unanimous that the Rockies are locked on a pitcher and the A's are locked on a college hitter.

- The Royals are again noted as a wildcard team. They mock Montgomery to him here, but float the idea of a big surprise like Honeycutt being within the realm of possibility. I don't think anything can be ruled out after they took Frank Mozzicato a few years ago. Honeycutt would be a phenomenal guy to see taken ahead of us because I want no part of him at 9.

- They have the Cardinals getting Kurtz here, but present them as basically a team that can sit back and see how the board falls to them. They mention being ok with one of the pitchers if he's there, Montgomery, Wetherholt, etc. This is the sense I have gotten in reading other mocks and it also tracks with their bonus pool not being large, though I'm not sure how much that is going to actually matter for their pick.

- Again with the Angels and college hitter/quick to majors. Here they have Wetherholt because of how the board has unfolded.

- Finally, for us they note that Kurtz or Wetherholt would both be great, but in this mock they aren't available. They also say that if Burns or Smith end up here, it would be intriguing for us, which I definitely agree with. They have us taking Tibbs, noting that he is getting tons of play in the 6-10 range of mocks and rumors.

That basically covers it. There seems to be an implicit sense about a top group of 8 college guys: Bazzana, Condon, Burns, Smith, Wetherholt, Montgomery, Kurtz, and Caglione, which obviously makes it a shame that we're picking 9th. That said, Griffin and Rainer probably belong somewhere close to this group, and it doesn't seem like it will take much for one of them to go in the 5-10 range. To me, the White Sox, Cardinals, and maybe the Angels (in a necessary pivot) all make sense for a prep player.

In short, these are the x-factors to keep an eye out for over the next few weeks:
1) Do either of the top prep guys jump into the picks ahead of us? This would be a great thing for us.
2) Does a team like the Royals or White Sox "get weird" with their pick and go with someone not in that group of 8 or even the prep guys? This would be even better, probably the best possible outcome.
3) Exactly what happens with the two pitchers, Smith and Burns? I kind of think this is crucial for Kurtz having a better chance to get to us and/or an unexpected player like Montgomery or Wetherholt to become viable. Somewhat in combination with #2, the possibility of both Smith and Burns going high and then the Angels going for a guy like Yesavage who would move quickly seems like it's within the realm of possibility.

I think the Pirates are in a similar situation as they describe for the Cardinals: able to sit back and see how things break for them. A bat has to be the preference, but in the strange event that an impact pitcher like Burns is there, you figure out the rest later because the value is too good. It's impossible to have too much good pitching. Maybe a guy has a significant injury when Burns is ready to debut in 2026 or so? You can always trade pitching as well.

Personally, it's still Kurtz for me, because there's just no player like that in the system and it would fit so perfectly with what we never seem to be able to find. It potentially allows you to shift your focus entirely to OF help either at the deadline or in the winter, as you could cover 1B with Joe and some other part-time platoon player while Kurtz hopefully moves fairly quick next year.

Montgomery and Wetherholt both seem like perfectly great options who we might not otherwise have a chance at picking 9th if it were not for their injury issues. And Tibbs doesn't really seem like a bad option either, as he's an all around bat who fits comfortably into a corner for us. It might also be worth noting that Tibbs had a good season on the Cape last summer with wooden bats, and that fits with what the Pirates like.

I would do backflips if Hagen Smith got to us.

Wetherholt had hamstring issues early in the season but he played in the tournament. The Montgomery broken ankle was a bummer. I lump Montgomery, Griffin and Honeycutt in the same group. Tremendous tools. High ceiling. But I have zero faith we can develop them and iron out their flaws.

Really hope we catch a break and get Kurtz

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

since70

Sep 27, 2016
And he obviously doesn't understand what constitutes the Greater Pittsburgh Metro Area, and if he's so concerned open a business in the city and you're going to find out why they won't open one there. His responses to comments are ridiculous, they're the argument of a low IQ individual.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I would do backflips if Hagen Smith got to us.

Wetherholt had hamstring issues early in the season but he played in the tournament. The Montgomery broken ankle was a bummer. I lump Montgomery, Griffin and Honeycutt in the same group. Tremendous tools. High ceiling. But I have zero faith we can develop them and iron out their flaws.

Really hope we catch a break and get Kurtz
Yeah I like Montgomery a lot but I think he could be worrisome on that front given our bad track record with hitters.

Kurtz is just too perfect on paper. He's basically readymade to make a push for slotting into 1B forever by August or September of next year if we can get some nice luck with him. I just don't think he'll need a lot of time to work on anything and there's no reason to mess around and try to stick him in the outfield.

Also, the more I have been reading, the more I am totally fine with Tibbs. There's nothing flashy there but it's good hit, swing decisions, and power and fine enough to be passable in a corner OF. I don't love always gaming this kind of thing out, but if he comes at an ok small discount at #9, then that potentially positions us to be a bigger player with our next picks and maximize being in comp round A this year. This is not usually how you draw up an overslot, but if we were somehow able to get Tibbs and Tommy Tanks, that would be a pretty dream situation for injecting some young life into the hitting situation soonish. Too video gamey probably, but if we can't get Kurtz, that's the ideal scenario I am dreaming on.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
They mentioned, two more jersey ad's are coming. Shades of Nascar.
Two more on the Pirates??!?? Or everyone?

Where they gonna put em, hat and pants?

With technology today, I'm surprised they haven't figured out how to have a blank patch that they superimpose various ads throughout the game on broadcasts. NHL video boards, but on the players. Ugh

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We got a nice break at the end of the 2nd there with the pickoff and then K. Hopefully Jones can settle into a routine, because it would be a double whammy if he gets crushed and looks totally wild while doing it.

I don't think it's overly reactive to say that there's some cause for concern with how he's trending.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Love seeing Cruz take his walk there and not press. Eflin is laboring a bit, and you have to assume the Rays want him to get 6 innings with their bullpen being heavily used before they got here and also yesterday.

A big inning here could really help out in terms of pressuring them more tomorrow.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I really hate these 4pm games, both from a viewing perspective and from a "bad atmosphere" perspective.

Weird shadows cost Reynolds there and an important run. Doesn't even need to be said but it's very plausible that Jones gives up a bloop and a blast at some point. Hopefully the offense can keep the pressure on.

Reactions: Factorial

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Damn, what an ending (presumably) for Jones. I'll say, I won't walk back my worry about the wildness that's popping up more and more, but finishing the game today like this and stuff like how he finished his Dodgers start are what keep my confidence in him over the long haul pretty high.

So often it just seems like we see rookies really flame out after the league pushes back, but Jones took a big step in terms of reasserting himself with this start, especially given how disastrous he looked in the first inning.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Chapman coming in for save oppo. Why no Bednar? He pitched like 5 days ago. Rays have all right batters.

And he walked a .153 batter on four pitches to lead off lol.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Chapman is extremely unenjoyable in just about every way.

Not sure if it happened for others, but my MLB tv feed also just completely cut to black and never came back during the Diaz at bat.

Sweaty, sweaty win.

Reactions: BusinessGoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad