OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
This is the type of start Keller needed after his "shaky" performance in his last start.

The young Keller would have gone on some awful streak, but now he is able to shake off his previous start if it's not his typical performance.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Instead on being on third with 1 out, he's on second with 1 out, bc he thinks he's Bonds.

Likely will cost us the game, since we probably won't get another chance to score.

Great hit Rowdy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Fangraphs released the Pirates prospect update. No super notable surprises here, but the Pirates have 8 45 FV or better SP prospects. It also has Brannigan at a 45 FV, which I think is a bit of a jump for him.

Fangraphs loves Jones as a prospect as well, saying the only thing keeping him from a 60 FV prospect is his size. He graduated as a top-20 prospect in baseball.
Yeah, I think this is a fairly encouraging writeup from a few perspectives. The Skenes and Jones profiles are unsurprisingly glowing, but the system is also reasonably deep with a number of guys in that 40+ / 45 range who either 1) stand to keep improving (especially some lower levels guys) or 2) be decent trade bait.

It's fair to say that pitching is a strength in this org, with the big three in MLB, Falter being adequate depth, and a fairly dependable ability to get cheap veteran reclamations to cover some innings. On top of this, you have Oviedo, Chandler as the major dev project, and several depth guys headlined by Burrows and Ashcraft at the moment.

Injuries will happen, guys will bust (but hopefully one or two turn into good bullpen options, a la Ortiz), but it's a solid situation to be in. I still don't really think we're at the level of being able to buy someone like Robert, but if we wanted to be aggressive for Chisholm or Ward, IMO we have the pieces to swing the deal.

As a system, it probably could be in better shape, but Jones' success and lucking into Skenes buys you a fair amount of a head start. If we manage to get a solid everyday college bat in the first round this year, then we'll be in even more comfortable shape.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Got another pitcher's duel.

Keller and Holderman shutting things down through 8. Now it's time for the offense to do something. As the Red's have shut us down too.

0-0 bottom of the 8th.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I didn't think of that, good call.
Feel bad for those guys. They mentioned the other day that the Nike uniforms they are using this year are not wicking/allowing the heat to escape, and these guys are drowning in sweat.

Some of those Reds uniforms are dark gray right now cause of the sweat.

They said they corrected them, but those uniforms won't be available till next year.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Feel bad for those guys. They mentioned the other day that the Nike uniforms they are using this year are not wicking/allowing the heat to escape, and these guys are drowning in sweat.

Some of those Reds uniforms are dark gray right now cause of the sweat.

They said they corrected them, but those uniforms won't be available till next year.
I remember the players being PO'd in spring training about them.

Nike and Fanatics cutting corners.

Reactions: td_ice

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
raise it_bryan_reynolds.gif

Raise it!

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
It's been funny to watch the extreme swings in opinions on nearly every single player on the pirates from week to week on this board. A couple months ago I was told Keller is a #4 starter at best and that our bats would be the team's strength. Fast forward to today and it has been the complete opposite.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It's been funny to watch the extreme swings in opinions on nearly every single player on the pirates from week to week on this board. A couple months ago I was told Keller is a #4 starter at best and that our bats would be the team's strength. Fast forward to today and it has been the complete opposite.
The team is the definition of mediocre

Some days some things work, other days other things. Can't execute consistently on all cylinders.

What prediction of what will and won't work would you like to share for the rest of the year?

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This weekend is definitely the time to get greedy. The Rays basically have 2 solid offensive players, a few fine pitchers, and that's it. If Jones can be sharp, then we'll have Jones and Skenes going along with presumably Perez.

The offense is still too hot and cold to really say this, but this is a great opportunity for a sweep and clawing back over .500.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad