Status
Not open for further replies.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
GRBdsE1WwAAU8rp.png

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I looked up the source for this and found the video: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/the-ts...ail-the-latest-on-draisaitl-stamkos-m~2947452

I felt like it needed some context.

Pierre LeBrun: 'Status quo is the update from Steven Stamkos's people at Newport Sports. Within that, I can tell you this, Tampa is going to have to change their offer...'

Maybe it's just posturing. LeBrun talked to Stamkos's people, who seemed to indicate the contract wasn't that close.

Of course, they're going to say that.

Also, Ken Holland is out.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
For f***'s sake. Either this guy knows absolutely ZERO about any other moves we have because we are so airtight it may as well be the CIA, or we are going full amateur hour ready to die on the hill for someone like Cirelli until the clock strikes 0 and likely miss other moves to get this move done
A good friend of his just went to Nashville and couldn't wait to return his family back to Tampa. Would seem odd for Stamkos to make that same move lol

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
maybe this is all a ploy to get Stamkos to sign somewhere and we trade for him at 50% retained so hes only making like 4m

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A good friend of his just went to Nashville and couldn't wait to return his family back to Tampa. Would seem odd for Stamkos to make that same move lol
I'm not worried Stamkos is gonna leave, I'm worried we're gonna drag this nonsense out just to sign Stamkos anyway. And we are gonna be stuck with leftovers like just buying out Sheary anyway and missing out on the first 3 days of free agency and all the players who'd come here. But what? We get to keep Cirelli and Sergachev?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Jeannot at 10

also, the note at the bottom:
Note: This board is based on what we’re hearing from NHL sources and will be adjusted as new names enter the conversation or gain prominence, so check back.

Others we’re watching who don’t quite crack the top 25 at this point: Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers; Mario Ferraro, San Jose Sharks; Andrew Mangiapane, Calgary Flames; Jean-Gabriel Pageau, New York Islanders.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I looked up the source for this and found the video: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/the-ts...ail-the-latest-on-draisaitl-stamkos-m~2947452

I felt like it needed some context.

Pierre LeBrun: 'Status quo is the update from Steven Stamkos's people at Newport Sports. Within that, I can tell you this, Tampa is going to have to change their offer...'

Maybe it's just posturing. LeBrun talked to Stamkos's people, who seemed to indicate the contract wasn't that close.

Of course, they're going to say that.

Also, Ken Holland is out.
Stamkos could get 8-9M on the open market. Why tf would his agency say anything other than "eat shit" at this point considering the Bolts cap space?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm not worried Stamkos is gonna leave, I'm worried we're gonna drag this nonsense out just to sign Stamkos anyway. And we are gonna be stuck with leftovers like just buying out Sheary anyway and missing out on the first 3 days of free agency and all the players who'd come here. But what? We get to keep Cirelli and Sergachev?
Yes because both Cirelli and Serg are younger and have many good years left, where as Stamkos likely has 2,.maybe 3 tops. Serg should be moved if one of them has to be, as it solves most ofvtbeor problems and then some, but JBB is very unlikely to trade any of the recent 8 year extensions. I'm sure he wants to keep Stamkos, but he's not crippling the mid to long future to do so. If he can create a little more space with a combo ofntrade/buy out of Jeannot, Sheary and maybe Perbix, maybe he'll go higher with Stamkos a bit, but ljke with Yzerman 8 years ago, he'll reach a final number and if Stamkos.takes it, great; if not, he'll have contingency plans in.place if he walks as.well

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Yes because both Cirelli and Serg are younger and have many good years left, where as Stamkos likely has 2,.maybe 3 tops. Serg should be moved if one of them has to be, as it solves most ofvtbeor problems and then some, but JBB is very unlikely to trade any of the recent 8 year extensions. I'm sure he wants to keep Stamkos, but he's not crippling the mid to long future to do so. If he can create a little more space with a combo ofntrade/buy out of Jeannot, Sheary and maybe Perbix, maybe he'll go higher with Stamkos a bit, but ljke with Yzerman 8 years ago, he'll reach a final number and if Stamkos.takes it, great; if not, he'll have contingency plans in.place if he walks as.well
Honestly, what does it matter? What is the team gonna look like in 2-3 years?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't care that they're younger. They are 26 year old players making $15 million who can't carry a line and defensive pairing respectively. It's too much fat for the cost we pay. Sign Stamkos and use the remaining space to round out the roster with guys who'd kill to win a Cup and wear our jersey

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Honestly, what does it matter? What is the team gonna look like in 2-3 years?
They'll still have plenty of quality talent at that point? It's not as though the entire team is retiring or becoming scrap in 2 or 3 years, but players such as Stamkos, probably Hedman, and McD will be near the end of very successful careers. Mo es that JBB makes and draft picks made in that time will help determine if the team remains successful in the following years. Moving players like Serg, Cirelli or Cernak won't likely happen because JBB realizes the team can still compete after 2 more seasons, and so him overpaying or sacrificing these younger guys to keep an aging fan favorite around is overall, poor management of the team.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Killorn said his own negotiations went right down to the wire, and implied that both sides genuinely wanted to make it work up until the last minute, just wasn't feasible with the cap situation comped to what Anaheim was offering. I think if Stamkos was expecting to hit the market, it would have gone more public by now.

Reactions: Renopucker

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think at this point Stamkos may walk reminds me of killorn last year he knows he can get a pay day

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So he's trying to leverage the little capspace to force Stamkos into taking a lowball "that's all we have" contract seems about right for JBB. Horrible idea, make a move and give him a reasonable offer.
Yep i think if we offered 6.5 to 7 million per year Stamkos would sign it JBB needs to make cap space the Mac trade was bad now because it forced us to move Sheary and Jeannot which was gonna be hard to do

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
people here really love speculate with the 0 information we’ve got. i seem to remember stamkos being very excited to have mcdonagh back on the team so it sure as hell doesn’t seem like he thought the move took any money out of his contract

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
people here really love speculate with the 0 information we’ve got. i seem to remember stamkos being very excited to have mcdonagh back on the team so it sure as hell doesn’t seem like he thought the move took any money out of his contract
I don't think that's it. Everybody, including Stamkos and his agency knows JBB can move money to make Stamkos a competitive offer. If they are trying to negotiate with him based off the $5.5M they currently have then they are clowns. Thats why his agent basically said kick rocks.

If you're gonna be serious then make an effing move and clear enough cap. Don't waste their time. JBB is trying to play a hand everyone already knows he has.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Has he signed a contract yet, yes or no?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't think that's it. Everybody, including Stamkos and his agency knows JBB can move money to make Stamkos a competitive offer. If they are trying to negotiate with him based off the $5.5M they currently have then they are clowns. Thats why his agent basically said kick rocks.

If you're gonna be serious then make an effing move and clear enough cap. Don't waste their time. JBB is trying to play a hand everyone already knows he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad