Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
No one has mentioned the possibility that the asking price to take Sheary and/or Jeannot off our hands might be too much for JBB to accept. Gone are the days we had the talent pool in the pipeline to throw in a prospect or two as incentive. If we give up any of our prospects now, we are setting ourselves further back than if we just accept that we cannot sign Stamkos AND a capable supporting roster.
That being typed, if the fan base is good with the core six taking 2/3rds of the Cap Space and using what little is left to fill out the roster, then so be it.
Just don't come complaining when the bottom tier NHL players and players who should be in the AHL cannot support the high-priced core and the Lightning are one and done if they make the playoffs in 24-25.
I think what you said is a valid concern, but I also think you can never underestimate how rock hard some GMs out there get over a guy who scored a couple goals once and will punch a guy in the face. Big "I can fix him" vibes around a player like that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
We've gone from having Cirelli as the luxury item at forward to having Sergachev as the luxury item on defense. We seriously can't roll this anyone. One has to go. We need to get stronger up front and Nick Paul checking out by November isn't gonna cut it
I don't know how anyone sound in mind would look at last years defense and go "yeah, we really need to get rid of Sergachev, hes a luxury". That defense was a black hole at times, and the addition of McDonagh doesn't solve all of it, if anything, I think it'll allow Sergachev to really stretch his legs and be a solid puck mover again without having as many defensive responsibilities. It also will give the kids on the blueline a parent or legal guardian to help them take risks and grow without as much pressure for mistakes, because they'll happen. They do need to get away from relying so heavily on retreads like Dumba, de Haan and i'd honestly rather endure some of the growing pains of the Lillebergs, etc on the blueline in hopes that they can take on more/be more.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Wonder if someone is going to say f*** it and overpay for Cirelli or Cernak
we traded for mcdonagh to improve the defense so trading cernak would just be the dumbest possible thing to do. unless you want perbix playing 20 minutes a night of course.

Cirelli’s contract is pretty impossible to trade imo but i guess nhl gms have done dumber shit before. if we want a good return we would have to retain like 1m

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I think what you said is a valid concern, but I also think you can never underestimate how rock hard some GMs out there get over a guy who scored a couple goals once and will punch a guy in the face. Big "I can fix him" vibes around a player like that.
Valid points.
Buffalo seems to be the team I see as being able to use Jeannot the most. They have good young talent that is lacking a protector like Jeannot. Team toughness is one thing but when that team toughness means players draw straws to see who gets to be the other team's speed bag for the night, that proves you are lacking something.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Valid points.
Buffalo seems to be the team I see as being able to use Jeannot the most. They have good young talent that is lacking a protector like Jeannot. Team toughness is one thing but when that team toughness means players draw straws to see who gets to be the other team's speed bag for the night, that proves you are lacking something.
Oh yeah, without a doubt. Ottawa was another that came to mind, and I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina suddenly drummed up interest after another year of underachievement.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
You underestimate how attractive Cirelli is to teams that are desperate to get back into the postseason like Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa
the player maybe is attractive but not the contract. if we traded for a 40 point forward with cirelli’s contract you would be asking for jbb to be fired on the spot

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
IMG_4959.png

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
i honestly see a revamp of the D core. Cernak cant stay healthy enough, Perbix took a step back and is a UFA next year and due for a pay raise from someone. guys like Crozier, Carlile, Lilleberg, and even Fleury are serviceable in bottom pairing roles. can always grab a dman in free agency that can eat minutes for under 3m
Wonder what the return would be for Perbix. 3rd and 5th round pick?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i honestly see a revamp of the D core. Cernak cant stay healthy enough, Perbix took a step back and is a UFA next year and due for a pay raise from someone. guys like Crozier, Carlile, Lilleberg, and even Fleury are serviceable in bottom pairing roles. can always grab a dman in free agency that can eat minutes for under 3m
lol Ian cole for 3 AAV 😃😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
while i agree with the other three, i dont think JBB trades Cernak. He brought McD back to make a legit shutdown pair again, with Cernak. JBB had even said "wr have our top 4 now with Heddy, Sergachev, McDonagh and Cernak" by name
i never trust anything JBB says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad