Euro: Round of 16 - Switzerland v. Italy - June 29

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I moved to America less than a decade ago and I've talked to people back home who've expressed surprise I speak without an American accent. The simple reality is that once you're gone a certain amount of time to many of them you're no longer one of them. If you were born over here, you're definitely no longer one of them. If your parents were born here, it's basically all but irrelevant. That doesn't mean people need to forget their ancestry or heritage or whatever, but put it into context.
Why do they get to choose where someone else is from?

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I moved to America less than a decade ago and I've talked to people back home who've expressed surprise I speak without an American accent. The simple reality is that once you're gone a certain amount of time to many of them you're no longer one of them. If you were born over here, you're definitely no longer one of them. If your parents were born here, it's basically all but irrelevant. That doesn't mean people need to forget their ancestry or heritage or whatever, but put it into context.

1 - It's not like it's particularly up to them and this is highly subjective.
2 - I have family members and friends who live in other countries who would laugh in my face if I said 'I'm only Canadian' to them.
3 - None of this substitutes for lived experience or shared cultural customs and heritage. If an Italian-Canada (or or or or or) shares a culture/language/community etc. what some sap thinks in the country of origin is pretty damn irrelevant to put it lightly. Dual/triple nationalities exist for a reason.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not even a contest

What’s crazy was the Swiss were a mess in qualifying and Yakin was close to getting the sack. I guess he and Xhaka talked things out though as Xhaka was quite critical of his coaching

Reactions: gary69 and luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
1 - It's not like it's particularly up to them and this is highly subjective.
2 - I have family members and friends who live in other countries who would laugh in my face if I said 'I'm only Canadian' to them.
3 - None of this substitutes for lived experience or shared cultural customs and heritage. If an Italian-Canada (or or or or or) shares a culture/language/community etc. what some sap thinks in the country of origin is pretty damn irrelevant to put it lightly. Dual/triple nationalities exist for a reason.
Dual citizenship depends on the country, but for example with Ireland, people can get an Irish passport based on Irish ancestry but they still aren't allowed to vote there. And I think that's an important element because it's indicative of the major problem - once you leave the country of your origin you no longer have a stake in its future. I don't have to pay the taxes or follow the laws they pass. My stake is in my community here in America.

Now as a first generation person I still have enough family there to at least still care a lot, and even a 2nd generation person might still say that, but at some point even that link is broken and it certainly is for most Americans/Canadians whose families came over 100+ years ago.

And what happens is that culturally the 'old country' moves in a different direction than the people who migrated and their descendants who start to adopt the ways of the places they moved to and also 'miss out' on the major changes that happened since they left. Even as someone who spent a huge chunk of my life in the 'old country' and hasn't been gone for a hugely long time (and may yet go back at some point), I notice a degree of estrangement from the place every time I go back. Remember why they say that you can never go home. There's a truth to it.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Bowling Ball Head will be fired and replaced with football terrorist Al-legri.

Conte had a shittier team and did a better job.

Will Spalletti wait until he is fired or does he resign himself? Will somebody sign him to be their manager, title with Napoli is now but a distant memory.

Italy was terrible all tournament through, seems they almost used all their luck during the last Euros for the PK wins.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Will Spalletti wait until he is fired or does he resign himself? Will somebody sign him to be their manager, title with Napoli is now but a distant memory.

Italy was terrible all tournament through, seems they almost used all their luck during the last Euros for the PK wins.
If he had any decency, he'd resign.

Reactions: luiginb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Dual citizenship depends on the country, but for example with Ireland, people can get an Irish passport based on Irish ancestry but they still aren't allowed to vote there. And I think that's an important element because it's indicative of the major problem - once you leave the country of your origin you no longer have a stake in its future. I don't have to pay the taxes or follow the laws they pass. My stake is in my community here in America.

Now as a first generation person I still have enough family there to at least still care a lot, and even a 2nd generation person might still say that, but at some point even that link is broken and it certainly is for most Americans/Canadians whose families came over 100+ years ago.

And what happens is that culturally the 'old country' moves in a different direction than the people who migrated and their descendants who start to adopt the ways of the places they moved to and also 'miss out' on the major changes that happened since they left. Even as someone who spent a huge chunk of my life in the 'old country' and hasn't been gone for a hugely long time (and may yet go back at some point), I notice a degree of estrangement from the place every time I go back. Remember why they say that you can never go home. There's a truth to it.

Right, it depends on person to person but there's more to being from somewhere than 'Can I go to Grandmas if I land there?' albeit I agree that time affects the relationship, just not to the extent that you're suggesting. Kinship is a real thing and as I said earlier, culture lives on in foreign countries as well.

I don't buy the voting argument though. I can vote in France just because I got a passport through my grand-mother. That doesn't make me more French insofar as I still don't really feel French because I had little exposure to it growing up besides TV and books. But tell my mom (who has never lived in France either) that she's not French and she'd rightfully flip because it's her mom we'd be talking about and she (rightfully) wouldn't give a hoot what some random Frenchman would think. My dad is a born and raised Moroccan and tried to live there for a couple years maybe a decade ago after spending 40+ years in Canada and the US and struggled to adapt. His Arabic is still as impeccable as his French. Does that mean he's no longer Moroccan even if he still has Moroccan friends, siblings, follows the news, eats the cuisine, etc? I think that'd be an absurd suggestion.

Not everything is just one thing and millions around the world embrace all aspects of their lived experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
@Spring in Fialta
Off topic. Now that I know your Moroccan... I love making Shakshuka. Can I add meat to it or is that foul?

Well, it's a breakfast meal and the only time I've eaten meat for breakfast in Morocco (or at home eating Moroccan food) is khlii but by all means go off. I'm sure some Moroccans do it or that they fix it like that in some restaurants over there.

Reactions: Juve

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Going forward, who should Italy keep in their starting lineup? Donnarumma for sure, most likely Chiesa and Barella, maybe Bastoni. Everyone else can be replaced.

Obviously, some of the younger ones like Fagioli can stay as squad players.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Well, it's a breakfast meal and the only time I've eaten meat for breakfast in Morocco (or at home eating Moroccan food) is khlii but by all means go off. I'm sure some Moroccans do it or that they fix it like that in some restaurants over there.
I know it's a breakfast. I was under the assumption it can be served at anytime. Thank you.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Going forward, who should Italy keep in their starting lineup? Donnarumma for sure, most likely Chiesa and Barella, maybe Bastoni. Everyone else can be replaced.

Obviously, some of the younger ones like Fagioli can stay as squad players.
Calafiori and Bastoni can make up the heart of D... You can add Buongiorno as a starter to a back 3. Not sure why Mancini was in over him. Barella for sure. I don't think anyone else should be certain of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad